Waste Connections Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2015
Updated Mar 20, 2015

2.2

Recruiter/Centennial Office Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Connections in November 2014.

Submitted my resume and application was phone interviewed about 3 days later. Was called in for a 2 person panel interview about 2 days after phone interview. I would say the office atmosphere was welcoming and friendly. I did notice most employees I encountered were not any older than 45-50 in age. Upon meeting the recruiter she was about in her early 30's. The 2nd recruiter that came in was in her mid 30's and let's just say both were old enough to be my daughters. I thought the interview went well. The 1st recruiter did mention to me they were a " pretty tight knit group". As, an experienced recruiter this can at times be a red flag. It can be interpreted as "exclusivity". I received an email about 4 days later informing me they had selected another candidate (job is still posted). I linkedin the recruiters name and found several posted photos of both recruiters at parties and what appears to be night clubs in provocative poses. Nothing offensive just "girls" having fun". It made sense as to why I did not get the job. Here I was thinking it may have been my credentials . I landed a better job a week later with a company who hires based on qualifications and not who you can party with in your tight knit age group. While, I can't prove any form of age discrimination this office needs to look at their workforce and truly examine it's diversity.

Interview Questions
    • I asked the question to both recruiters: What is currently your biggest hiring challenge ? One responded they have had a job that has been posted about 1 year and they could not fill the job. She went on to explain that due to colorado's low unemployment rate "every employer is fighting for the same people".   View Answer

Administrative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waste Connections.

Phone interview after sending in resume. Then met HR person outside of office and a day or so later was called back to come in the office. Final interview was at the office with small panel of people. I was offered job the same day.

Not much negotiation. Economy was very bad and needed a job. Did negotiate vacation.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yakima, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yakima, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Connections in May 2014.

Applied online, was contacted a month later by the regional hiring manager for a phone interview. Was contacted by the branch office manager that same week. Had my interview one on one with her, and then was given offer over the phone the next week. Then I submitted the background check online, and did the drug test at the local branch.

Internal Audit Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Waste Connections in December 2012.

The most unprofessional process I've ever been through... Mind you, an interview was for a mid-senior level position: a lineup of candidates waiting for their turn in the hall, 30 min interviews, one after another, etc... Although I was brought in for an interview through an employment agency, as I had many times before with other companies, this was the first time I was not given business cards by my interviewers. I felt as if I was taking a final with the clock ticking in the corner of my screen! Just a very poorly organized process that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Old National Post Office, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Old National Post Office, GA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Waste Connections in June 2012.

Easy and quick. You feel comfortable and relaxed, they care for their employees. They had food and offered me some to eat. Most of the management came in and out during the interview an seemed to already made up their mind in the first 5 minutes. Each person's questions were targeted at their personal agenda and what they want to have you work on.

Interview Questions
    • Very personal as they want to know about yourself and who you are, what you like and what do you want to do. A team approach   View Answer
    • What is your favorite hobby   View Answer
    Non negotiatable

Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Waste Connections in January 2012.

Really straight forward, met with the manager I would be under, asked me typical job related questions, very quick.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you think you can handle upset customers?   View Answer

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Waste Connections.

I submitted an online application. A few days later, HR contacted me. HR person started going over my resume; first question asked was if I had a four year degree. Found this a bit insulting and it also made me wonder if they had even looked at my resume. After the phone call, HR asked me to complete an online math test; which I did. Afterwards, I was asked to go for an interview.

This interview was the least professional interview I have experienced throughout this process. I interviewed with an engineer, he proceeded to ask the normal questions of "tell me about yourself", about previous experience, and education. He then asked random behavioral questions, how I describe myself, how others would describe me and who is a role model to me, famous and non-famous. He also asked questions about how I handled certain situations while I was in school. The least professional part was asking me how I, as a woman, would handle certain aspects of working in a landfill. Lastly, he said he also did not like that I have an advanced degree.

Within two days I received a rejection email from a do not reply email address.

Diesel Mechanic Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waste Connections in June 2010.

1st a pre screen interview from the HR dept, 2nd quick phone interview form the hiring manager, 3rd 1:1 interview with the hiring manager and his manager, 4th drug screen and background check. All the 1:1 interviews were very informal, no prepared questions other than the when can you start, whats you exp.... the hiring manager did ask some very detailed technical questions simply to verify that i actually knew how to fix trucks. other wise it was more of a "meet n greet" get to know you session.

Interview Questions
    • Please explain why you left your last job   View Answer
    very simple.... this is the wage you applied for and this it the only offer.