Waste Management

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview Details – Apply online, you're called for an interview...typically two interviews, unless its an hourly position then most likely you will only have one.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview Details – Applied online, passed initial online skill test, receiving a call to interview within 2 weeks. While waiting to be walked into the building, an employee appeared to be walking off the job while a male manager was following her trying to prevent her from leaving. Interviewed with a recruiter and a hiring manager; both who had not seen my resume. Spent 1/2 hour going over my resume LINE BY LINE, answering SEVERAL behavior questions, only to be told by the recruiter she couldn't answer my questions about the job and that a hiring manager would be the best person to speak to. Waited approx. 10 minutes for hiring manager to arrive, only to be asked MORE questions. I present my questions, received my answers and was told I would hear something by Friday. Received a thank you but no thank response by email.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to use a different method to accomplish a task.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Waste Management in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, received an email stating they weren't interested almost instantly. Then about a week later, I get a phone call about the position I had applied for. I have a pre-screen phone interview then. After that call, I receive instructions to take an online assessment (which by the way was a great tool for them to use). A few days later, I had a phone interview. At the end of the call, I was told that it would be up to the hiring manager to call and schedule a face to face interview. I didn't receive that call but did get the "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. No hard feelings. The HR staff was courteous and respectful during this process.

Interview Question – They like very detailed answers and examples to the questions.   Answer Question

Vancouver, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2012.

Interview Details – From the time of application and response for an interview was rapid and I was grateful to get any response. The interviews were divided up into alpha sections at designated time slots. The interview was pleasant and direct. Afterwards I felt the interviewer really liked her job and show a great deal of pride in the company. It was refreshing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what attracted you to work for Waste Connections.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a difficult situation you had to deal with at a previous job.   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Waste Management in August 2010.

Interview Details – I received a call for an interview and a day later met with the hiring manager at Waste Management. She called me a few days later to tell me I was hired.

Interview Question – How do you handle customers?   Answer Question

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online, received a phone call from a HR rep who conducted a brief phone interview (behavioral style interview questions, eg "tell me a time when you've had a problem with a co-woker" "tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond..."), I passed the phone interview and they set up a 1:1 interview, the lady was super-nice and really made me feel at ease with the style of interview, which can be challenging. It was another behavioral-style interview, and, as the phone interviewer told me, they really, really want very specific examples of what you did, said, and how exactly you acted in given situations.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a mistake at work, what was the situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary offered was excellent, and I didn't feel the need to negotiate. Also the benefits offered are absolutely outstanding.

Oak Harbor, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Waste Management in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and about two weeks later received a telephone call from a recruiter who wanted to talk to me! I promptly called her back and she gave me a quick overview of the position followed by a phone interview. After she was done she told me I'd passed the first stage and scheduled me for a sit down interview three days later.

I just got back from my sit down offer! I was offered the job right after the interview!
I got there, had to fill out a paper application, then was taken upstairs and interviewed in a 1:1 setting in a nice, quiet office. They ask you to briefly describe your work history, then they begin asking the questions. My interviewer described the interview as "story time" as the questions are mostly situational and ask how you acted in certain situations.
It was an overall great experience! Do your homework on the company, dress professionally and believe in yourself!

Interview Questions

• Describe the most difficult customer situation you've ever encountered.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you made the wrong decision about something and what the consequences were.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when something in your life disrupted your work. How do you go about handling the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't need to negotiate -- what they offered was awesome!

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Waste Management in October 2011.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview where I was then referred for an in-person interview.

Interview Question – What is your ideal job?   Answer Question

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!