Waste Management

Updated Oct 1, 2014

3.2

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in September 2014.

I was interviewed by the Area Manager and Dispatch Supervisor they were very nice and asked me to tell them what I did at my last dispatch job, they also asked me what my weakness and strength area was, they told me about the company and what they do. I was pretty impressed and excited when she asked me if given the job when could I start, of course I told them immediately, but I have not been called back. My interview was 9/18 and since I didn't hear from them I sent a follow up email to the Dispatch Supervisor on 9/24 and he said they were still doing interviews and would make a decision around 10/10 because the Area Manager was out on vacation. Not loosing hope.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waste Management.

I was already an employee, which i think actually helped. The interview process was pretty simple and laid back. It probably lasted about 30 minutes. We mostly just did lots of talking in the interview. She did ask me questions regarding my background which actually helped. I had a 2nd interview and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. All pretty simple   Answer Question

ITMA Program - College Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2013.

The entire process took about 2 weeks.

It began with a phone screening that was your common behavior questions, ie name a situation, how you overcame it and the results. This was only 30 minutes with a employee, not an HR person. Still casual.

Then I was asked to interview on-campus at my college. This was during the week of the career fair, I'm sure it will be during yours as well. I met with 3 people, one who went through the ITMA program before and even a VP of a department in their IT division. Wear a suit, very formal. I was asked multiple questions, mostly trivia and thinking. Have questions prepared for the end. There was a dinner that night, and if you want the job, go to the dinner.

After that I was asked to come for an on-site interview at the headquarters in Houston, TX. Stayed at the FourSeasons, and they payed for a nice dinner at a restaurant. The interview was the next morning from 8am to 4pm. Began with a small powerpoint with info about WM. Then we were split into groups to do a case study and present to multiple employees and VPs. Next we had lunch and had one-on-one meetings with the full time employees. Finally there was a panel interview at the end, you sat at the head of the table in a conference room with ~10 employees and, for me, they grilled me on my resume.

I received a phone call in the next 4 days with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Two ropes that burn at inconsistent speeds, time 45 minutes. How would you weight a plane.   View Answer

Pursued another offer in a different location.

Manager, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management.

The interview process at WM IT is a model of hierarchy and machismo. They are filling empty chairs, not building teams and teamwork.

Hopefully you will interview with potential peers you will work with, but this is not a given.

You'll definitely interview with a number of managers and directors who may or may not actually understand your job role or ask you relevant questions. They tend to look down on you and be know-it-alls.

Then, if you past their sniff test, you will interview with a panel of IT executives who really should be busy doing something else. This is basically the Inquisition. If your personality or answers don't meet their needs, regardless of what your potential peers think of you, you will be disqualified.

What's so strange about the interview process is that in spite of all the Important People you are judged by, it is flawed considering the outcome in the workforce -- WM's overall IT culture is dysfunctional, distraught and distrustful. it is driven by "me", not "we". It is competitive, not collaborative.

So, good luck with that interview. It proves nothing.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate salary to a degree but they will reward you with a large bonus (15% for contributor roles; 25-35% for Manager to Director). Of course, they don't always pay out bonus. ;)

Procurement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2012.

Interview process went through four phases. Phone interview with HR rep. Phone interview with hiring manager. On site panel interview with hiring manager, finance manager, and HR rep. Final panel interview via web with all members from the third interview plus the area VP. Took approximately three months to go through all the interviews and to be extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • First call was stern about salary expectation. A range was not good enough.   View Answer

Deployment Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management in April 2012.

The interview process was thorough, interviewed with two directors and one VP. A second interview was two directors while eating lunch, this was not an ideal situation as the interviewers eat while the interviewed has to answer questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were based on unrealistic scenarios and the answers had to be given quickly.   Answer Question
    I had to negotiate with HR and it did not go as planned. WM promised a 25% yearly bonus as part of the salary because they have given a bonus for the last 20 years but this year it is the first they are not going to. Many based their acceptance of lower salaries because of the "promised" bonus, as i did and now there is no bonus this year (2012). There are many now resigning from WM because of the cancelled bonus.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Waste Management in December 2011.

Interview process was quite smooth and quick. Recruiters were very thorough and efficient, setting up 2 telephone interviews in one week, then flying me out for a full day of in-person interviews with 6 different people - my boss, 1 HR director and 4 peer positions. All very thorough questions, DDI Targeted Selection format (STAR). I had a job offer within a week. It was great! (Everything after that was downhill.)

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you failed to deliver or meet expectations on a very important assignment.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate. I did so in a combination of email communications and two phone conversations with the recruiter assigned to me. She had to go back and forth to my boss for authorization, and most of my requests were met or at least they met me half way. For example, they came up on base pay to my requested $170K base to start but they held firm at 3 weeks paid vacation (I asked for 4 weeks). I also asked for a higher sign on bonus and we settled somewhere in between at $25K net. It was a pleasant and simple process.

Business Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in March 2011.

Applied via online career site. Took 2-3 weeks to get a response. Was called by a scheduler to set a time for an interview with the hiring manager. Day of the interview, completed the first interview with the manager - more or less standard tell me about yourself, asked why I had left previous positions. Introduced the panel interview (panel of IT leadership) and asked a few prep questions. Hiring manager had me interview with a peer manager the same day before the panel that afternoon. Completed the panel interview (~15 min) and was told I would be contacted. Received an offer that evening.

Interview Questions
    • There are 9 balls, one is lighter than the others. In three moves determine which is the lighter one.   View Answer
    Negotiated base and vacation. Bonus are a percentage of base, and the bonus percentage is negotiable as well.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2010.

Initially spoke with the internal HR recruiter. The interview process consisted of two face to face interviews and a panel interview. The first interview was with the hiring manager & project manager. Aside from discussing my general project experience, I was also asked "the Google questions". I was also asked to whiteboard one of them. The second interview was with the VP. I was also asked a few more "Google questions". The third interview was a panel interview with the senior leadership team. This consisted of the CIO and several IT VPs.

Advice: Review "the Google questions. This was the first time I was asked them, but I was prepared. Present yourself confidently. They are reading you, and may want to see how you react under pressure. Accept that, and try to understand why they ask the questions they do. The IT department is fast paced, competitive, and can be high pressure.

The work culture in IT is the epitome of corporate America. The people are smart, well educated, and competitive. Many people work 50+ hrs a week, year round.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was minimal. Pay is OK, but not great. Bonus percentage is high. My advice is to only accept the offer, if it is what you are looking for. Although raises & promotions are possible, nothing comes overnight.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2010.

I was brought in for a face to face interview in Houston for a manager position. As soon as one of the VPs saw me he looked shocked and said you look different on Linkedin. After that it was down hill. Each of the interviewers were less than friendly and one interviewer took a call from his wife that lasted about 20 minutes.