Waste Management

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

Dispatcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in August 2014.

First they do an in person interview with either the Dispatch Supervisor or Area Dispatch Manager. Explain a time when you've had to work as a team. Explain a time when you had a conflict and how you solved the conflict. What's your strengths/weaknesses? etc. Then they take you into the dispatcher center and let you mingle among the employees while they work and they ask you questions that they think of, which is usually pretty close to the questions you were asked in the first interview. Then the employees tell their supervisor if they liked you or not the next day in their morning huddle. Very interesting interview process.

Interview Questions
    First they offered me 15.85/hr. I said that I was looking for more like $18/hr and they offered me $16/hr. They didn't budge much, but I wish I had pushed one more time for a little bit higher. Also they only give 1 week vacation a year so you may be able to throw an extra week in for negotiations. Something you could try.

Industrial Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Germantown, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management in August 2014.

The process began with email confirmation to interview with two people. Interview was with one person. Went well. Received dear John letter a few days later. Two weeks past and I get another interview for the same position.

Route Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management.

Applied online. phone interview followed by in person interview several days later. background check and drug screen with contingent over depending on results. Poor communication between steps but quick follow-up once process was completed.

Very little to negotiate

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management in July 2014.

I applied online and received a call back for an interview. When I arrived there was no one at the reception desk and I had to wait until someone walked by to notify the interviewer I was on site. I waited about 30 mins or so after that to be brought back. I felt the actual interview went well, I was asked questions about my work background and skills/education and was told they would get back to me and let me know either way. After one week I saw that the position had been reposted online, which is understandable if they did not find the right person for the job yet, it just would have been nice to have had some kind of response back from them that I did not get the position. I would have accepted a generic email, it was very frustrating.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time a customer made an unreasonable request.   Answer Question

Garbage Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Waste Management in July 2014.

I applied online took 1 month to hear back from them I got a call from a recruiter and had a phone interview I feel I did great with the phone interview told me about the benefits of this job and how demanding it is. I than was given a interview dare had to wait 2 weeks for the interview the gentleman I spoke to told me I would start out at 16 a hr based on my experience and than told me he would call me on Monday July 7 to see if I have the job I hope I do have this job I Like the environment and would love to start with this company

Interview Questions
    • Please explain a time when you helped out another employee and what did you do?   Answer Question
    Was told based on my experience I will start out at 16 a hr

Waste Management Response

Jul 14, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your interest in joining the team! You can call 877.220.5627 to check the status of your application.

Residential Driver Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management.

They used a 3rd party to do all the interviewing. I thought this was very inefficient and awkward. It also took a lot of time to get hired. 3 months!

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2014.

I applied online three times and I was able to get two interviews about six months apart, but never got any response after my interviews. In both interviews I was interviewed by one person. I don't know what to do to get past the interview. I have 17 years of experience as a swing driver at different garbage truck companies and able to drive and do the work.

Pricing Internship Interview

Found them on my University Career Site. They were prompt with the first two interviews but after that didn't communicate back for a while. Interviews were more conversations and seemed easy. Just went through the resume.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Waste Management.

I was already an employee, which i think actually helped. The interview process was pretty simple and laid back. It probably lasted about 30 minutes. We mostly just did lots of talking in the interview. She did ask me questions regarding my background which actually helped. I had a 2nd interview and got the job.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions. All pretty simple   Answer Question

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Waste Management.

A very long and detailed process. Initially start with a recruiter by phone - and the recruiters are sharp. Can't BS your way though, at all. If you get past the phone screen the in person interview is done at the place where you'll be based. Pay attention to what they show you. Try to verbally tie your previous work experience to the work environment they are presenting to you. Takes anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks to get an offer letter due to preemployment steps. Higher the position, more interviews. I went through 7 different interviews, but it was good because it helped me learned the personalities of the different people I'd have to interact with. Very diverse company.

Interview Questions
    • What is a work-related weakness you have? How have you learned to overcome it?   Answer Question

Worked for Waste Management? Contribute to the Community!