Waste Management

2.8

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pompano Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pompano Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in November 2011.

After applying online, it took a couple of weeks for a telephone interview with an HR person from headquarters in TX. Subsequent to that I was scheduled for an in-person panel interview with 3 senior executives: Regional Sourcing Manager, VP Controller and Purchasing Director for the region. I found it to be the most intimidating and diffucult interview I have ever had. Difficult questions were asked, mostly pertaining to how to deal with personality conflicts and difficult people. My impression is that this particular Purchasing manager was very difficult to work with. He was cagey about compensation, only offering up that his people were "well compensated" but worked "very very hard." I came away from the interview with an unfavorable impression of the workplace there and was not surprised that the position was filled by another applicant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were in disagreement with how something was done at a workplace and how did you deal with it? Did you go along with it or voice your opinion?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with difficult people inside the office as well as customers?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2010.

Initially spoke with the internal HR recruiter. The interview process consisted of two face to face interviews and a panel interview. The first interview was with the hiring manager & project manager. Aside from discussing my general project experience, I was also asked "the Google questions". I was also asked to whiteboard one of them. The second interview was with the VP. I was also asked a few more "Google questions". The third interview was a panel interview with the senior leadership team. This consisted of the CIO and several IT VPs.

Advice: Review "the Google questions. This was the first time I was asked them, but I was prepared. Present yourself confidently. They are reading you, and may want to see how you react under pressure. Accept that, and try to understand why they ask the questions they do. The IT department is fast paced, competitive, and can be high pressure.

The work culture in IT is the epitome of corporate America. The people are smart, well educated, and competitive. Many people work 50+ hrs a week, year round.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was minimal. Pay is OK, but not great. Bonus percentage is high. My advice is to only accept the offer, if it is what you are looking for. Although raises & promotions are possible, nothing comes overnight.

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in May 2010.

I was recruited by head hunter. Interviewed by GM and Market Area Rep .for 6 hours. Sometime one at a time, sometimes they tag-teamed against me. The intent was to see how I reacted under stress.

Interview Questions
    • The difficulty lies in the fact that the interview went on so long and was stressfull. They were looking to see if I could handle the stress and being overwhelmed by their demands   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate and we agreed on my wages and benefits.. Then at the last minute, they changed everything knowing I had already put in my notice.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

Well planned, phone interview followed by on site interview by decision makers. questions asked were all relevant to the position to be filled. they used a form questionnaire so that all parties being interviewed were asked the same questions and had similar opportunities to succeed in the process.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recollect any specific questions or responses.   Answer Question
    "take it or leave it!"

Maintenance Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Waste Management in May 2012.

Interview process is pretty straight forward. However, all questions are situational and require you to recall specific examples of issues or situations you dealt with at prior employers. The hiring process is very long and can take up to six to eight weeks. Background and medical required for all jobs.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you made a decision and regretted it. What would you have done differently?   Answer Question
    Was contacted by a recruiter and offered lower base salary than told by friend who works there. They really try to push the fact that you can earn up to 15% of your annual base salary if you meet all objectives. Sounds great but you may not be involved in the success / failure of those objectives.

Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Georgetown, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Georgetown, DE

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in April 2011.

They didn't give nothing out but what u earned..Uc got paid by the hour..Thats it...Other then that..u do ur job and still get talk 2 like ur a dog.."Sorry 4 that ,,but true"

Interview Questions
    • Y do they get way with it,,My boss,, his boss didn't do nothing bout it..The way he talk 2 all the DRIVERS...   Answer Question

Recycling Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

they give you a phone interview then a face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • How do you react in a face paced enviroment   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2011.

I applied online, received a phone call from a HR rep who conducted a brief phone interview (behavioral style interview questions, eg "tell me a time when you've had a problem with a co-woker" "tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond..."), I passed the phone interview and they set up a 1:1 interview, the lady was super-nice and really made me feel at ease with the style of interview, which can be challenging. It was another behavioral-style interview, and, as the phone interviewer told me, they really, really want very specific examples of what you did, said, and how exactly you acted in given situations.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake at work, what was the situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    The salary offered was excellent, and I didn't feel the need to negotiate. Also the benefits offered are absolutely outstanding.

CDL Driver Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2011.

The phone interview was great. I am going for the personal interview tomorrow. I know they will ask some situational questions so I am practicing my answers so that I am condfident and ready to go. I am really hoping for this position!

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time that you made a bad decision. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    I am hoping that they will offer me a good wage. I know that this company has great benefits and wages.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in August 2011.

Contacted by GM who thought HR had already spoken with me, when they had not. 2 hour 1:1 interview in a casual setting with role playing questions- very odd. The interview was far too long to be anything close to productive.
    Was asked to present a PowerPoint on " my attributes". My submission was barely acknowledged. I followed up dutifully to be told the position was being " re-upped" and I am in running. I received a thank-you but no thank-you from talent acquisition unbenounced to the GM an hour later. A hiring freeze was in place through 2012.. Funny, they seem to be hiring old cronies from Allied Waste without regard to freeze.