Waste Management

2.7

Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in February 2014.

It was an easy interview . The interview consist of a bunch of personality questions.I was interviewed by the district manager and the Office manager.The interview took only 15 minutes. I was mostly hired based off my performance in my previous position with WM.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a specific accomplishment you've achieved in a previous position that indicates you will thrive in this position?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in November 2014.

Applied online 11-4 received call from HR around two days after, went over my resume over the phone . I was informed to resend my resume because when applied I copied and paste my my iPad . Never recieved email , called HR back (ruby) and again went over the same resume sent before ,she clearly didn't remember who and what I applied for ! She then instructed me I will be scheduled for an interview but then I recieved an email hours later with a thanks but no thanks. I didn't see the purpose of our going back and fourth but whatever :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself . Go over every line in your resume!   Answer Question

ITMA Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2014.

Applied online when they had the campus event. Communicated with HR to setup the 1:1 interview. One employee from the same program came in town to conduct the interviews(maybe there are more, I only met one; his luggage were sitting next to him in the interview room).
    Was told to bring enough resumes by HR when making the appointment, but the interviewer didn't even plan to look at it. (To me, he was just looking for the 'smart' people to dedicate more effort in the screening process.) He routinely introduced the program. Asked me to introduce myself. Then "what color is a lime?'
    Other questions include how to estimate the weight of Airbus A380(not correct answer), burning rope to measure 45 minutes(can be solved) and something else I cannot recall.
    I asked him why the Google questions afterwards. His answer is just fair: to see how interviewees react under pressure and to see the thinking process with such pressure(I couldn't image what kind of pressure this company put on recent college grads)
    The interviewer looked burned up to me. Or maybe his just had a rough night.

The "enough resume" from HR and unexpected brainteasers is a sign of miscommunication( unless that was the intention).

Interview Questions
    • 1. what color is a lime?
      2. how to estimate the weight of Airbus A380 by just looking at it?
      3. how to measure exactly 45 minutes given two ropes that burn at inconsistent rates from end to end. Both ropes take one hour to burn completely to ashes.

Answer Question

Inside Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

Was called for a phone interview a couple days after applying online, just basic questions tell us about yourself etc. Was then scheduled in for an interview the following week. I was kept waiting after a previous interview ran long (1hr) and the next candidate arrived.
    Interviewer was distracted, only asked a couple questions.

Inside Account Manager Franklin TN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Franklin, TN

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in October 2014.

The hiring process was going well until I found out that I was not selected for the 2nd round of interviews. I passed the phone interview and went to the next step which was a face to face interview, the interviewer complemented me and showed high interest several times do to my knowledge of the company, process, current software and my past experience. I was very qualified and I thought the interview went great. I later found out from that I was not going to the 2nd round of interviews and was declined as to why.

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waters, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waters, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management in January 2014.

Interviewed four different times at three different locations over a period of six months! The farthest location I traveled was four hours from my home. Ultimately they decided to hire within! This was a nightmare. Huge waste of several hours of my time and money.

Roll Off Dispatch Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in January 2014.

Initial communication was from some HR person from Florida asking me general questions. They provided by email information regarding an in person interview with the area Dispatch Manager. Interview was your typical "What is your greatest strength, what is your greatest weakness" type of questions.

They told me they would get back to me. Three - Four weeks had gone by and I heard nothing. I received a call from the area Dispatch Supervisor, and they wanted to bring me in for a second interview. I attempted to return calls and then it became a very stressful game of leaving messages and asking for a follow up, yet did not receive a response. Over one months later, I was finally contacted by the Dispatch Supervisor and they brought me in for a second in person interview.

After the 2nd interview, one week had passed. I then received a call from the Dispatch Manager on a Friday telling me they have offered me the position, and asked if I could start the following Monday. I was shocked at such bad communication and short notice from this size of corporation. The Dispatch Manager spoke to the changes within the organization and how their HR/recruiting person was replaced, which put my resume on hold and why there was such lack of follow up on their end when I was inquiring about the status of my interview process.

Reluctantly, I accepted the offer but was still caught off guard by the long, unorganized, and drawn out hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer working independently, or being micro-managed?   View Answer
    They did not speak anything about pay rate until I was provided an offer, and therefore was not able to negotiate or provide a counter offer since there was no more interviewing to do.

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in September 2014.

I was interviewed by the Area Manager and Dispatch Supervisor they were very nice and asked me to tell them what I did at my last dispatch job, they also asked me what my weakness and strength area was, they told me about the company and what they do. I was pretty impressed and excited when she asked me if given the job when could I start, of course I told them immediately, but I have not been called back. My interview was 9/18 and since I didn't hear from them I sent a follow up email to the Dispatch Supervisor on 9/24 and he said they were still doing interviews and would make a decision around 10/10 because the Area Manager was out on vacation. Not loosing hope.

Supply Chain Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

Applied online and did not hear back until after an employee referral. I was then contacted and had one phone interview. Usually there is at least one, in person panel interview but for my case it was only a phone interview. The interview questions were fairly average and nothing out of the ordinary.

Industrial Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, WI

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in August 2014.

The process began with email confirmation to interview with two people. Interview was with one person. Went well. Received dear John letter a few days later. Two weeks past and I get another interview for the same position.