Waste Management Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.7

Dispatcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in August 2014.

Interview

First they do an in person interview with either the Dispatch Supervisor or Area Dispatch Manager. Explain a time when you've had to work as a team. Explain a time when you had a conflict and how you solved the conflict. What's your strengths/weaknesses? etc. Then they take you into the dispatcher center and let you mingle among the employees while they work and they ask you questions that they think of, which is usually pretty close to the questions you were asked in the first interview. Then the employees tell their supervisor if they liked you or not the next day in their morning huddle. Very interesting interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

First they offered me 15.85/hr. I said that I was looking for more like $18/hr and they offered me $16/hr. They didn't budge much, but I wish I had pushed one more time for a little bit higher. Also they only give 1 week vacation a year so you may be able to throw an extra week in for negotiations. Something you could try.

Route Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

Applied online. phone interview followed by in person interview several days later. background check and drug screen with contingent over depending on results. Poor communication between steps but quick follow-up once process was completed.

Negotiation

Very little to negotiate

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Franklin, TN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management (Franklin, TN) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call back for an interview. When I arrived there was no one at the reception desk and I had to wait until someone walked by to notify the interviewer I was on site. I waited about 30 mins or so after that to be brought back. I felt the actual interview went well, I was asked questions about my work background and skills/education and was told they would get back to me and let me know either way. After one week I saw that the position had been reposted online, which is understandable if they did not find the right person for the job yet, it just would have been nice to have had some kind of response back from them that I did not get the position. I would have accepted a generic email, it was very frustrating.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time a customer made an unreasonable request.   Answer Question

Garbage Truck Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management (Colorado Springs, CO) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online took 1 month to hear back from them I got a call from a recruiter and had a phone interview I feel I did great with the phone interview told me about the benefits of this job and how demanding it is. I than was given a interview dare had to wait 2 weeks for the interview the gentleman I spoke to told me I would start out at 16 a hr based on my experience and than told me he would call me on Monday July 7 to see if I have the job I hope I do have this job I Like the environment and would love to start with this company

Interview Questions

• Please explain a time when you helped out another employee and what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was told based on my experience I will start out at 16 a hr

Waste Management Response

Jul 14, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your interest in joining the team! You can call 877.220.5627 to check the status of your application.

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management (El Paso, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

Straight forward - Submit resume, pass phone screening, followed by an in person interview. Its not the quickest process, generally about one week break between each step. I would apply to another position if the opportunity presented itself.

Residential Driver Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview

They used a 3rd party to do all the interviewing. I thought this was very inefficient and awkward. It also took a lot of time to get hired. 3 months!

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management (Memphis, TN) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online three times and I was able to get two interviews about six months apart, but never got any response after my interviews. In both interviews I was interviewed by one person. I don't know what to do to get past the interview. I have 17 years of experience as a swing driver at different garbage truck companies and able to drive and do the work.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management (Philadelphia, PA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interviewed with 3-person panel of Management level employees. Each panel member asked questions regarding resume, challenges, wins and defeats. First, detail the stages of the resume. Discuss challenges at each stage and how solutions were offered to the customers. Discussed metrics used to measure performance in the Sales Department. I needed to describe how my skills fit the role that was available.

Interview Questions

• Describe an obstacle provided by a customer, and the solution that was offered.   1 Answer

Inside Commercial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2014.

Interview

you wait in the lobby for about 10 to 20 min a manager walks out and takes you into a small room looks at your resume then asking a few questions walks you around the building and lets you know you got the job

Interview Questions

• basic call center questions about scheduled breaks lunches and work experiences   1 Answer

Pricing Internship Interview

Interview

Found them on my University Career Site. They were prompt with the first two interviews but after that didn't communicate back for a while. Interviews were more conversations and seemed easy. Just went through the resume.