Waste Management

2.8

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

I received a voicemail from Rachel in HR about 3-4 days after I applied online. I promptly called her back that afternoon and left a message. After not hearing back from her, I called again later the next afternoon. Again nothing. I finally received an email rejection a month later. Best practices in recruiting would be since she called me and provided her info, she should at least call me back if she was no longer interested. Not a positive candidate experience.

Container Welder Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

Did a phone interview and then went in for a one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time where you had to seek help from a supervisor or co worker and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Everything is handled through the HR department. They contacted me first via phone which was a "tell me about a time you had a difficult time converting an upset customer" type session. I was offered an in-person interiew at the end of the call.

The in-person interiew was odd because the two people whom I was supposed to interview with were both out and I ended up speaking with the General Manager for about an hour. He explained the position and asked some more stock questions, looking for complex answers with detail regarding my ability to handle various situations. He was very candid about what the position entailed, which I appreciated. Afterwards I was told I would be contacted by HR to let me know the status of my application.

HR contacted me 3 weeks in a row, every Wednesday, to let me know I was still being considered. On the third week they told me they went with another candidate. Two weeks later they contacted me again and said they had another position which they would like to offer me, but I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

Very professional process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the typical "Tell me about a time you helped a client resolve a difficult issue and how you came to the resolution."   Answer Question

Already accepted position with another company. Hiring process takes a very long time, at least a month.

Sustainability Speacilist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Interview process was thorough, be prepared to answer stereotypical interview questions with a problem you have occurred and how you went about solving the issue. The second interview was a panel that was 2 hrs with various people from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I considered my personality as an explorer, teacher or spokesmen.   Answer Question

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

The job opening was posted on the company web-site and both internal and external applicants were welcomed to apply. There was a phone interview with the company recruiter and then a second and final interview with the customer service manager. The interview questions used the star approach and I was asked to build on past experiences to answer the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a decision you made that was a failure. What happened and why?   Answer Question
    I was offered the position and told the salary. I came back with a counter-offer that was 20% higher. The hiring manager offered a starting amount 10% higher than his first offer and I accepted the position.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management.

Behavioral based interviews. Start with one-on-one interview and then do panel interview for second round. They work off designed interview questions and look for situation, action, and results for each question/scenario.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you made a wrong decision and what were the results?   Answer Question
    Easy...they came with a good offer.

SCALE ATTENDANT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waste Management.

I was informed of an open position by a family member, I went in that day to turn in my resume. I came back the next day and interviewed with the manager. He looked at my resume and read it over. He didn't really ask to many questions other than basic job history questions. During the interview another person walked in and the manager said why are we interviewing still I thought we filled the position? The woman said she didn't fit in and gave him a look. I thought this was awkward. I was offered the job on the spot and the lady took me over to see the scale house. She went over a few things, and said she will call to let me know my start date. The interview process was fairly easy I guess its best if you know someone.

Interview Questions
    • I would be surprised if they asked any at all, seems they are desperate to fill positions.   Answer Question
    The recruiter called and said the base pay for the position is 12/hr, did not negotiate the pay.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in May 2013.

I applied online, received an email stating they weren't interested almost instantly. Then about a week later, I get a phone call about the position I had applied for. I have a pre-screen phone interview then. After that call, I receive instructions to take an online assessment (which by the way was a great tool for them to use). A few days later, I had a phone interview. At the end of the call, I was told that it would be up to the hiring manager to call and schedule a face to face interview. I didn't receive that call but did get the "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. No hard feelings. The HR staff was courteous and respectful during this process.

Interview Questions
    • They like very detailed answers and examples to the questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management.

The interview process at WM IT is a model of hierarchy and machismo. They are filling empty chairs, not building teams and teamwork.

Hopefully you will interview with potential peers you will work with, but this is not a given.

You'll definitely interview with a number of managers and directors who may or may not actually understand your job role or ask you relevant questions. They tend to look down on you and be know-it-alls.

Then, if you past their sniff test, you will interview with a panel of IT executives who really should be busy doing something else. This is basically the Inquisition. If your personality or answers don't meet their needs, regardless of what your potential peers think of you, you will be disqualified.

What's so strange about the interview process is that in spite of all the Important People you are judged by, it is flawed considering the outcome in the workforce -- WM's overall IT culture is dysfunctional, distraught and distrustful. it is driven by "me", not "we". It is competitive, not collaborative.

So, good luck with that interview. It proves nothing.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate salary to a degree but they will reward you with a large bonus (15% for contributor roles; 25-35% for Manager to Director). Of course, they don't always pay out bonus. ;)

Territory Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

first spoke with national recruiter on the phone who set up face to face meeting, very generic questions, just read the job description and feel comfortable with responsibility section

you can expect them to low ball, can probably get 10% more