Waste Management

Updated Dec 21, 2014

2.7

Lead Closing Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in October 2013.

Disorganized cluster, hurry up and wait, will be forced to talk with multiple people.

Interview Questions
    They do not bargain. They are very cheap. Took two weeks to get a call back.

ITMA Program - College Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2013.

The entire process took about 2 weeks.

It began with a phone screening that was your common behavior questions, ie name a situation, how you overcame it and the results. This was only 30 minutes with a employee, not an HR person. Still casual.

Then I was asked to interview on-campus at my college. This was during the week of the career fair, I'm sure it will be during yours as well. I met with 3 people, one who went through the ITMA program before and even a VP of a department in their IT division. Wear a suit, very formal. I was asked multiple questions, mostly trivia and thinking. Have questions prepared for the end. There was a dinner that night, and if you want the job, go to the dinner.

After that I was asked to come for an on-site interview at the headquarters in Houston, TX. Stayed at the FourSeasons, and they payed for a nice dinner at a restaurant. The interview was the next morning from 8am to 4pm. Began with a small powerpoint with info about WM. Then we were split into groups to do a case study and present to multiple employees and VPs. Next we had lunch and had one-on-one meetings with the full time employees. Finally there was a panel interview at the end, you sat at the head of the table in a conference room with ~10 employees and, for me, they grilled me on my resume.

I received a phone call in the next 4 days with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Two ropes that burn at inconsistent speeds, time 45 minutes. How would you weight a plane.   View Answer

Pursued another offer in a different location.

Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

The interview was pretty straight forward. Focused on pretty stock interview questions such as strengths, weakenesses and what I could do in the position.

No negotiation.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Had a phone interview and was very basic, mostly talked about sales experience. Second interview had a standard sheet they read questions off of and the person with the most points got the job

Route Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in August 2013.

I had a phone interview, went well. So I was set up with a second interview with a district manager. I thought went well. They told me that they will get back to me the next week and let me know their choice. They did and gave a excuse that the manage was out on business meetings. And that they will get back to me the next week. Well another week wnt by and they did contact me to let me know that it will be another week. So after that I just left it at that and they finally got back to me 4 weeks later to let me know that they decided to go with someone inside the company.

Business Analyst Interview

Process was very good overall. I was interviewed by two people, and the interview lasted for one hour.

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

I received a voicemail from Rachel in HR about 3-4 days after I applied online. I promptly called her back that afternoon and left a message. After not hearing back from her, I called again later the next afternoon. Again nothing. I finally received an email rejection a month later. Best practices in recruiting would be since she called me and provided her info, she should at least call me back if she was no longer interested. Not a positive candidate experience.

Container Welder Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

Did a phone interview and then went in for a one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time where you had to seek help from a supervisor or co worker and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Everything is handled through the HR department. They contacted me first via phone which was a "tell me about a time you had a difficult time converting an upset customer" type session. I was offered an in-person interiew at the end of the call.

The in-person interiew was odd because the two people whom I was supposed to interview with were both out and I ended up speaking with the General Manager for about an hour. He explained the position and asked some more stock questions, looking for complex answers with detail regarding my ability to handle various situations. He was very candid about what the position entailed, which I appreciated. Afterwards I was told I would be contacted by HR to let me know the status of my application.

HR contacted me 3 weeks in a row, every Wednesday, to let me know I was still being considered. On the third week they told me they went with another candidate. Two weeks later they contacted me again and said they had another position which they would like to offer me, but I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

Very professional process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the typical "Tell me about a time you helped a client resolve a difficult issue and how you came to the resolution."   Answer Question

Already accepted position with another company. Hiring process takes a very long time, at least a month.

Sustainability Speacilist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Interview process was thorough, be prepared to answer stereotypical interview questions with a problem you have occurred and how you went about solving the issue. The second interview was a panel that was 2 hrs with various people from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I considered my personality as an explorer, teacher or spokesmen.   Answer Question