Waste Management Interview Questions

2.7

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in January 2014.

Though the pre-screening experience was generally a positive one, I found the first-line management interview to be far from what I expect from a major corporation and leader in its field. The manager with whom I interviewed made no attempts to be evenly remotely warm with me. "They tell us to ask these questions so that's what I'm going to do," he said, then went on to ask me the pre-canned questions in a robotic fashion. When asked if I had questions, I said "Yes. What is your leadership style?", I asked. He said "I'll tell you something once, but if I have to tell you again, there will be a lot of screaming and shouting." Great, I thought, this is what every senior manager needs in their life ------ NOT!

Interview Questions
    • Many scenario based questions are asked. For example, "Tell me of a time when you were in jeopardy of losing a customer, and what you did to fend that off. Also, explain how you used your resources to accomplish the objective, and what the outcome was."   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Conversational

Interview Questions
    You get what they offer. Very rarely do the negotiate.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

2 interviews. First phone interview then face to face.

Interview Questions
    • Give example of one time you faced an obstacle where you disappointed the customer and how did you fix the problem.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

Well planned, phone interview followed by on site interview by decision makers. questions asked were all relevant to the position to be filled. they used a form questionnaire so that all parties being interviewed were asked the same questions and had similar opportunities to succeed in the process.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recollect any specific questions or responses.   Answer Question
    "take it or leave it!"

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Waste Management.

Not bad. Had the job before I interviewed.

Interview Questions
    1 week. Needed a truck, which I got.

Lead Closing Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in October 2013.

Disorganized cluster, hurry up and wait, will be forced to talk with multiple people.

Interview Questions
    They do not bargain. They are very cheap. Took two weeks to get a call back.

ITMA Program - College Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in September 2013.

The entire process took about 2 weeks.

It began with a phone screening that was your common behavior questions, ie name a situation, how you overcame it and the results. This was only 30 minutes with a employee, not an HR person. Still casual.

Then I was asked to interview on-campus at my college. This was during the week of the career fair, I'm sure it will be during yours as well. I met with 3 people, one who went through the ITMA program before and even a VP of a department in their IT division. Wear a suit, very formal. I was asked multiple questions, mostly trivia and thinking. Have questions prepared for the end. There was a dinner that night, and if you want the job, go to the dinner.

After that I was asked to come for an on-site interview at the headquarters in Houston, TX. Stayed at the FourSeasons, and they payed for a nice dinner at a restaurant. The interview was the next morning from 8am to 4pm. Began with a small powerpoint with info about WM. Then we were split into groups to do a case study and present to multiple employees and VPs. Next we had lunch and had one-on-one meetings with the full time employees. Finally there was a panel interview at the end, you sat at the head of the table in a conference room with ~10 employees and, for me, they grilled me on my resume.

I received a phone call in the next 4 days with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Two ropes that burn at inconsistent speeds, time 45 minutes. How would you weight a plane.   View Answer

Pursued another offer in a different location.

Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

The interview was pretty straight forward. Focused on pretty stock interview questions such as strengths, weakenesses and what I could do in the position.

No negotiation.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Had a phone interview and was very basic, mostly talked about sales experience. Second interview had a standard sheet they read questions off of and the person with the most points got the job

Route Management Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in August 2013.

I had a phone interview, went well. So I was set up with a second interview with a district manager. I thought went well. They told me that they will get back to me the next week and let me know their choice. They did and gave a excuse that the manage was out on business meetings. And that they will get back to me the next week. Well another week wnt by and they did contact me to let me know that it will be another week. So after that I just left it at that and they finally got back to me 4 weeks later to let me know that they decided to go with someone inside the company.