Waste Management

Relevance Date Difficulty

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Outside Sales Representative

Interviewed at Waste Management

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and was very basic, mostly talked about sales experience. Second interview had a standard sheet they read questions off of and the person with the most points got the job

Interview Question – How do you see yourself as a hunter in this role.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waste Management in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process was quite smooth and quick. Recruiters were very thorough and efficient, setting up 2 telephone interviews in one week, then flying me out for a full day of in-person interviews with 6 different people - my boss, 1 HR director and 4 peer positions. All very thorough questions, DDI Targeted Selection format (STAR). I had a job offer within a week. It was great! (Everything after that was downhill.)

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you failed to deliver or meet expectations on a very important assignment.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to negotiate. I did so in a combination of email communications and two phone conversations with the recruiter assigned to me. She had to go back and forth to my boss for authorization, and most of my requests were met or at least they met me half way. For example, they came up on base pay to my requested $170K base to start but they held firm at 3 weeks paid vacation (I asked for 4 weeks). I also asked for a higher sign on bonus and we settled somewhere in between at $25K net. It was a pleasant and simple process.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Interview Details – Everything is handled through the HR department. They contacted me first via phone which was a "tell me about a time you had a difficult time converting an upset customer" type session. I was offered an in-person interiew at the end of the call.

The in-person interiew was odd because the two people whom I was supposed to interview with were both out and I ended up speaking with the General Manager for about an hour. He explained the position and asked some more stock questions, looking for complex answers with detail regarding my ability to handle various situations. He was very candid about what the position entailed, which I appreciated. Afterwards I was told I would be contacted by HR to let me know the status of my application.

HR contacted me 3 weeks in a row, every Wednesday, to let me know I was still being considered. On the third week they told me they went with another candidate. Two weeks later they contacted me again and said they had another position which they would like to offer me, but I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

Very professional process.

Interview Question – All the questions were the typical "Tell me about a time you helped a client resolve a difficult issue and how you came to the resolution."   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Already accepted position with another company. Hiring process takes a very long time, at least a month.

Container Welder Interview

Container Welder

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview and then went in for a one on one interview

Interview Question – Tell a time where you had to seek help from a supervisor or co worker and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Sustainability Speacilist Interview

Sustainability Speacilist

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview process was thorough, be prepared to answer stereotypical interview questions with a problem you have occurred and how you went about solving the issue. The second interview was a panel that was 2 hrs with various people from the company.

Interview Question – Asked if I considered my personality as an explorer, teacher or spokesmen.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at Waste Management

Interview Details – Process was very good overall. I was interviewed by two people, and the interview lasted for one hour.

Interview Question – Outside of work, tell us about you?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Heavy Equipment Operator Interview

Heavy Equipment Operator
Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2012.

Interview Details – Was given a phone interview, then drove 500 miles for a face to face interview. i was offered the position and relocated my family shortly afterward.

Interview Question – Was asked where I saw myself in 5 years and told them hopefully still with the company. I was told management was definitely a possibility.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Waste Management in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, received an email stating they weren't interested almost instantly. Then about a week later, I get a phone call about the position I had applied for. I have a pre-screen phone interview then. After that call, I receive instructions to take an online assessment (which by the way was a great tool for them to use). A few days later, I had a phone interview. At the end of the call, I was told that it would be up to the hiring manager to call and schedule a face to face interview. I didn't receive that call but did get the "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. No hard feelings. The HR staff was courteous and respectful during this process.

Interview Question – They like very detailed answers and examples to the questions.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview Details – Behavioral based interviews. Start with one-on-one interview and then do panel interview for second round. They work off designed interview questions and look for situation, action, and results for each question/scenario.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you made a wrong decision and what were the results?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy...they came with a good offer.

Very Easy Interview

SCALE ATTENDANT Interview

SCALE ATTENDANT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Waste Management.

Interview Details – I was informed of an open position by a family member, I went in that day to turn in my resume. I came back the next day and interviewed with the manager. He looked at my resume and read it over. He didn't really ask to many questions other than basic job history questions. During the interview another person walked in and the manager said why are we interviewing still I thought we filled the position? The woman said she didn't fit in and gave him a look. I thought this was awkward. I was offered the job on the spot and the lady took me over to see the scale house. She went over a few things, and said she will call to let me know my start date. The interview process was fairly easy I guess its best if you know someone.

Interview Question – I would be surprised if they asked any at all, seems they are desperate to fill positions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The recruiter called and said the base pay for the position is 12/hr, did not negotiate the pay.