Waste Management

2.7

Area Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Waste Management in April 2012.

The interviewer was late. Once he arrived he did not have my resume on hand. After I gave him a copy he began to downgrade the waste companies that I previously worked for.

Route Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in May 2010.

Interview process moves very slowly. Standard "canned" questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Very situational, behavioral in nature.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation. Pretty standard to come in at lower part of pay band.

Grapple Crane Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management in April 2012.

They have a recruiter call you approximately 2 days to 3 weeks after submitting your application doe. They conduct a phone interview at your convienance.You interview for the position 1-3 weeks afterward.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, as they are stern with their offer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Cajon, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Cajon, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

I received a voicemail from Rachel in HR about 3-4 days after I applied online. I promptly called her back that afternoon and left a message. After not hearing back from her, I called again later the next afternoon. Again nothing. I finally received an email rejection a month later. Best practices in recruiting would be since she called me and provided her info, she should at least call me back if she was no longer interested. Not a positive candidate experience.

Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management.

The interview was pretty straight forward. Focused on pretty stock interview questions such as strengths, weakenesses and what I could do in the position.

No negotiation.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Had a phone interview and was very basic, mostly talked about sales experience. Second interview had a standard sheet they read questions off of and the person with the most points got the job

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waste Management in December 2011.

Interview process was quite smooth and quick. Recruiters were very thorough and efficient, setting up 2 telephone interviews in one week, then flying me out for a full day of in-person interviews with 6 different people - my boss, 1 HR director and 4 peer positions. All very thorough questions, DDI Targeted Selection format (STAR). I had a job offer within a week. It was great! (Everything after that was downhill.)

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you failed to deliver or meet expectations on a very important assignment.   Answer Question
    Yes, I was able to negotiate. I did so in a combination of email communications and two phone conversations with the recruiter assigned to me. She had to go back and forth to my boss for authorization, and most of my requests were met or at least they met me half way. For example, they came up on base pay to my requested $170K base to start but they held firm at 3 weeks paid vacation (I asked for 4 weeks). I also asked for a higher sign on bonus and we settled somewhere in between at $25K net. It was a pleasant and simple process.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Everything is handled through the HR department. They contacted me first via phone which was a "tell me about a time you had a difficult time converting an upset customer" type session. I was offered an in-person interiew at the end of the call.

The in-person interiew was odd because the two people whom I was supposed to interview with were both out and I ended up speaking with the General Manager for about an hour. He explained the position and asked some more stock questions, looking for complex answers with detail regarding my ability to handle various situations. He was very candid about what the position entailed, which I appreciated. Afterwards I was told I would be contacted by HR to let me know the status of my application.

HR contacted me 3 weeks in a row, every Wednesday, to let me know I was still being considered. On the third week they told me they went with another candidate. Two weeks later they contacted me again and said they had another position which they would like to offer me, but I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

Very professional process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the typical "Tell me about a time you helped a client resolve a difficult issue and how you came to the resolution."   Answer Question

Already accepted position with another company. Hiring process takes a very long time, at least a month.

Container Welder Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management in July 2013.

Did a phone interview and then went in for a one on one interview

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time where you had to seek help from a supervisor or co worker and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Sustainability Speacilist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Interview process was thorough, be prepared to answer stereotypical interview questions with a problem you have occurred and how you went about solving the issue. The second interview was a panel that was 2 hrs with various people from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Asked if I considered my personality as an explorer, teacher or spokesmen.   Answer Question