Waste Management

2.7

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in June 2013.

Everything is handled through the HR department. They contacted me first via phone which was a "tell me about a time you had a difficult time converting an upset customer" type session. I was offered an in-person interiew at the end of the call.

The in-person interiew was odd because the two people whom I was supposed to interview with were both out and I ended up speaking with the General Manager for about an hour. He explained the position and asked some more stock questions, looking for complex answers with detail regarding my ability to handle various situations. He was very candid about what the position entailed, which I appreciated. Afterwards I was told I would be contacted by HR to let me know the status of my application.

HR contacted me 3 weeks in a row, every Wednesday, to let me know I was still being considered. On the third week they told me they went with another candidate. Two weeks later they contacted me again and said they had another position which they would like to offer me, but I had already accepted an offer elsewhere.

Very professional process.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the typical "Tell me about a time you helped a client resolve a difficult issue and how you came to the resolution."   Answer Question

Already accepted position with another company. Hiring process takes a very long time, at least a month.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Waste Management.

Behavioral based interviews. Start with one-on-one interview and then do panel interview for second round. They work off designed interview questions and look for situation, action, and results for each question/scenario.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you made a wrong decision and what were the results?   Answer Question
    Easy...they came with a good offer.

SCALE ATTENDANT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waste Management.

I was informed of an open position by a family member, I went in that day to turn in my resume. I came back the next day and interviewed with the manager. He looked at my resume and read it over. He didn't really ask to many questions other than basic job history questions. During the interview another person walked in and the manager said why are we interviewing still I thought we filled the position? The woman said she didn't fit in and gave him a look. I thought this was awkward. I was offered the job on the spot and the lady took me over to see the scale house. She went over a few things, and said she will call to let me know my start date. The interview process was fairly easy I guess its best if you know someone.

Interview Questions
    • I would be surprised if they asked any at all, seems they are desperate to fill positions.   Answer Question
    The recruiter called and said the base pay for the position is 12/hr, did not negotiate the pay.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Waste Management in May 2013.

I applied online, received an email stating they weren't interested almost instantly. Then about a week later, I get a phone call about the position I had applied for. I have a pre-screen phone interview then. After that call, I receive instructions to take an online assessment (which by the way was a great tool for them to use). A few days later, I had a phone interview. At the end of the call, I was told that it would be up to the hiring manager to call and schedule a face to face interview. I didn't receive that call but did get the "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. No hard feelings. The HR staff was courteous and respectful during this process.

Interview Questions
    • They like very detailed answers and examples to the questions.   Answer Question

Manager, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Waste Management.

The interview process at WM IT is a model of hierarchy and machismo. They are filling empty chairs, not building teams and teamwork.

Hopefully you will interview with potential peers you will work with, but this is not a given.

You'll definitely interview with a number of managers and directors who may or may not actually understand your job role or ask you relevant questions. They tend to look down on you and be know-it-alls.

Then, if you past their sniff test, you will interview with a panel of IT executives who really should be busy doing something else. This is basically the Inquisition. If your personality or answers don't meet their needs, regardless of what your potential peers think of you, you will be disqualified.

What's so strange about the interview process is that in spite of all the Important People you are judged by, it is flawed considering the outcome in the workforce -- WM's overall IT culture is dysfunctional, distraught and distrustful. it is driven by "me", not "we". It is competitive, not collaborative.

So, good luck with that interview. It proves nothing.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate salary to a degree but they will reward you with a large bonus (15% for contributor roles; 25-35% for Manager to Director). Of course, they don't always pay out bonus. ;)

Territory Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management.

first spoke with national recruiter on the phone who set up face to face meeting, very generic questions, just read the job description and feel comfortable with responsibility section

you can expect them to low ball, can probably get 10% more

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

received call from recruiter and did phone interview with basic questions. Was contacted and set up f2f interview with hiring manager. was told decision would be made within a week, after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I contacted them and was told position was filled with internal candidate but was ask if I was interested in a different position. I was interested and a time was set-up to talk to recruiter about the position. the recruiter never called at the designated time, I called about 1/2 hour after the time only to receive voicemail. I never heard from them again, the oddest thing I have ever seen in the interview process.

Executive Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

Submitted application online through company's website. Received initial screening call from recruiter that lasted one hour. Interviewed in person a total of three times, meeting with four separate area Directors and the Vice President (all of whom I would be working directly for). All employees were friendly and the entire process was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Why Waste Management?
      Does it bother you that you will not be supervising anyone?
      What are your expectations for growth from this position?

View Answer

INBOUND COMMERCIAL SERVICES Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

Usually will be 2 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult at all, can be looked up on line w/ Google .. just type "Most asked interview questions". That should get you through it.   Answer Question
    I had already been employed there but was asked if I would like to become part of their sales department.

Recycling Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

they give you a phone interview then a face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • How do you react in a face paced enviroment   View Answer