Waste Management

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

Process was very good overall. I was interviewed by two people, and the interview lasted for one hour.

Heavy Equipment Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management in June 2012.

Was given a phone interview, then drove 500 miles for a face to face interview. i was offered the position and relocated my family shortly afterward.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked where I saw myself in 5 years and told them hopefully still with the company. I was told management was definitely a possibility.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Waste Management in May 2013.

I applied online, received an email stating they weren't interested almost instantly. Then about a week later, I get a phone call about the position I had applied for. I have a pre-screen phone interview then. After that call, I receive instructions to take an online assessment (which by the way was a great tool for them to use). A few days later, I had a phone interview. At the end of the call, I was told that it would be up to the hiring manager to call and schedule a face to face interview. I didn't receive that call but did get the "we are pursuing other candidates at this time" email. No hard feelings. The HR staff was courteous and respectful during this process.

Interview Questions
    • They like very detailed answers and examples to the questions.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Waste Management.

Behavioral based interviews. Start with one-on-one interview and then do panel interview for second round. They work off designed interview questions and look for situation, action, and results for each question/scenario.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you made a wrong decision and what were the results?   Answer Question
    Easy...they came with a good offer.

SCALE ATTENDANT Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Waste Management.

I was informed of an open position by a family member, I went in that day to turn in my resume. I came back the next day and interviewed with the manager. He looked at my resume and read it over. He didn't really ask to many questions other than basic job history questions. During the interview another person walked in and the manager said why are we interviewing still I thought we filled the position? The woman said she didn't fit in and gave him a look. I thought this was awkward. I was offered the job on the spot and the lady took me over to see the scale house. She went over a few things, and said she will call to let me know my start date. The interview process was fairly easy I guess its best if you know someone.

Interview Questions
    • I would be surprised if they asked any at all, seems they are desperate to fill positions.   Answer Question
    The recruiter called and said the base pay for the position is 12/hr, did not negotiate the pay.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

received call from recruiter and did phone interview with basic questions. Was contacted and set up f2f interview with hiring manager. was told decision would be made within a week, after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I contacted them and was told position was filled with internal candidate but was ask if I was interested in a different position. I was interested and a time was set-up to talk to recruiter about the position. the recruiter never called at the designated time, I called about 1/2 hour after the time only to receive voicemail. I never heard from them again, the oddest thing I have ever seen in the interview process.

Manager, Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Waste Management.

The interview process at WM IT is a model of hierarchy and machismo. They are filling empty chairs, not building teams and teamwork.

Hopefully you will interview with potential peers you will work with, but this is not a given.

You'll definitely interview with a number of managers and directors who may or may not actually understand your job role or ask you relevant questions. They tend to look down on you and be know-it-alls.

Then, if you past their sniff test, you will interview with a panel of IT executives who really should be busy doing something else. This is basically the Inquisition. If your personality or answers don't meet their needs, regardless of what your potential peers think of you, you will be disqualified.

What's so strange about the interview process is that in spite of all the Important People you are judged by, it is flawed considering the outcome in the workforce -- WM's overall IT culture is dysfunctional, distraught and distrustful. it is driven by "me", not "we". It is competitive, not collaborative.

So, good luck with that interview. It proves nothing.

Interview Questions
    You can negotiate salary to a degree but they will reward you with a large bonus (15% for contributor roles; 25-35% for Manager to Director). Of course, they don't always pay out bonus. ;)

Territory Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waste Management.

first spoke with national recruiter on the phone who set up face to face meeting, very generic questions, just read the job description and feel comfortable with responsibility section

you can expect them to low ball, can probably get 10% more

Environmental Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Waste Management in February 2013.

I t took a while from them to get in toch with me. I had to got though one phone interview with an outside compnet they use. This was preety simple porcess. Then the next day I got another call form the HR again it was a thrid partry compney. After that I was set up with an face to face interveiw with the hiring manager after that about a week I recived an offer letter and a phone call telling me about pay and I acceppted the offer. It took about two months to get though the backgroundground cheack for waste management and to get though the med. part of the job. After I cleared everything on Waste Management part I had to wait on the site that I was working on to run there own background cheack which was faster then waste managent though the process the compney went by the gudlines according to the job and the site but they kept me infromed though the whole process. Keep in mind the depending on the job and site that the process and time dose vary. I read all reviws on a compney to get an ideia of the process but I do read so pepole might of had bad exp so when you read these reviw take it with a grain of salt and understand if you really want a career make sure it is a job you can do and know and like. WM is very good at training but it is up to you and how bad you want it. And no it is not a perfect companey but it is a job and has steady growth and the lagest compney in its' feild do your homework it will help you though the process. Also keep in mind it also depends on when the job posting closes the amount of time.

Interview Questions
    • preety simple hiring process but can take time.   View Answer
    no negotiaton

Executive Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kirkland, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Waste Management in March 2013.

Submitted application online through company's website. Received initial screening call from recruiter that lasted one hour. Interviewed in person a total of three times, meeting with four separate area Directors and the Vice President (all of whom I would be working directly for). All employees were friendly and the entire process was very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Why Waste Management?
      Does it bother you that you will not be supervising anyone?
      What are your expectations for growth from this position?
        View Answer