Waterstone's

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bookseller

I applied online and interviewed at Waterstone's.

Interview Details – Interview was quite relaxed and friendly. Questions included, "What do you think is important or what do you look for in a bookstore?" "What kind of experience have you had in face-to-face customer service?" "In your opinion, what are the current problems that bookstores face?" "What is your favorite genre?" "Would you have flexibility in working additional hours or at nearby locations?" "What kind of experience have you had in working autonomously, without direct supervision?"

Interview Question – "In your opinion, what are the current problems that bookstores face?"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Waterstone's

Interview Details – Competency based interview

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you developed a member of staff?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Waterstone's.

Interview Details – Applied for a Christmas temp position online. They got back to me within a week to set up an interview. Interview itself was with the Branch Manager and Assistant Manager. At least in my case, they told me before starting the interview questions that they want me to explain using concrete examples, so that is exactly what I did.

Try to keep to specific examples (try to use different examples for different questions whenever possible). They want to concrete know-how rather than hypothetical action (i.e. answer "I did 'X' in situation 'Y' with 'Z' result" rather than "I would do X if Y happened).

They got back to me in a couple days with an offer

Interview Question – Tell us about a situation where you disagreed with your superior and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The wage was the fixed rate that Waterstones gives temps in Central London. They were quite flexible about hours except for the couple BIG sale days they required.

Book Seller Interview

Book Seller

I applied online and interviewed at Waterstone's.

Interview Details – took ages from application to getting a review, obviously they are interested in what books you read, what authors you are interested in etc. they want to know a lot about relevant work experience you have had relating to literature... i think i got rejected due to my age although the official reason was 'they wanted someone more suited to the role'.

Interview Question – explain a time when you have gone out of your way to help a customer?   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Waterstone's in October 2011.

Interview Details – Started with an online application with the standard questions one might expect for a retail position (working in a team, leadership, customer service etc.), then face-to-face interview in store from branch manager and assistant manager. They asked personality and competency-based questions, whilst they also asked about previous experience - essentially a follow-on from online application.

Interview Question – What is your favourite book?   Answer Question

Nottingham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Waterstone's in October 2010.

Interview Details – I think it may vary from store to store. Asked you basic competency questions about working in a team, working in busy environments, how you deal with difficult customers, but also was obviously expected to talk about my favourite authors. Was asked what I liked about the company and what I think could be done to improve the store.

Interview Question – I was expected after the end of the interview to choose one book from anywhere in the store, find a particular member of staff and tell him why I liked it and why he should read it.   Answer Question

Worked for Waterstone's? Contribute to the Community!