Waterstone's

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Waterstone's

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Waterstone's in September 2014.

Arrived 5 minutes early for interview. Manager, who was on the phone, ignored me for 15 minutes to complete his call to the Area Manager. His opening gambit was to proceed loudly swear about how great the sales were in "his shop". Spent another 5 minutes printing out forms for me to read. Explained that recently the interview system had changed to the effect that all interviewees would receive the same questions, be it for temporary bookseller or managerial positions. After typing a couple of my responses onto his computer he claimed that my answers, "wouldn't cut it" and that I would have to start again. Upon which I walked out.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you have used your initiative to exploit a commercial opportunity.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waterstone's.

Interview was quite relaxed and friendly. Questions included, "What do you think is important or what do you look for in a bookstore?" "What kind of experience have you had in face-to-face customer service?" "In your opinion, what are the current problems that bookstores face?" "What is your favorite genre?" "Would you have flexibility in working additional hours or at nearby locations?" "What kind of experience have you had in working autonomously, without direct supervision?"

Interview Questions
    • "In your opinion, what are the current problems that bookstores face?"   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Competency based interview

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Waterstone's.

Applied for a Christmas temp position online. They got back to me within a week to set up an interview. Interview itself was with the Branch Manager and Assistant Manager. At least in my case, they told me before starting the interview questions that they want me to explain using concrete examples, so that is exactly what I did.

Try to keep to specific examples (try to use different examples for different questions whenever possible). They want to concrete know-how rather than hypothetical action (i.e. answer "I did 'X' in situation 'Y' with 'Z' result" rather than "I would do X if Y happened).

They got back to me in a couple days with an offer

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a situation where you disagreed with your superior and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    The wage was the fixed rate that Waterstones gives temps in Central London. They were quite flexible about hours except for the couple BIG sale days they required.

Book Seller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Waterstone's.

took ages from application to getting a review, obviously they are interested in what books you read, what authors you are interested in etc. they want to know a lot about relevant work experience you have had relating to literature... i think i got rejected due to my age although the official reason was 'they wanted someone more suited to the role'.

Interview Questions
    • explain a time when you have gone out of your way to help a customer?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Waterstone's in October 2011.

Started with an online application with the standard questions one might expect for a retail position (working in a team, leadership, customer service etc.), then face-to-face interview in store from branch manager and assistant manager. They asked personality and competency-based questions, whilst they also asked about previous experience - essentially a follow-on from online application.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Waterstone's in October 2010.

I think it may vary from store to store. Asked you basic competency questions about working in a team, working in busy environments, how you deal with difficult customers, but also was obviously expected to talk about my favourite authors. Was asked what I liked about the company and what I think could be done to improve the store.

Interview Questions
    • I was expected after the end of the interview to choose one book from anywhere in the store, find a particular member of staff and tell him why I liked it and why he should read it.   Answer Question