Wayfair

2.7

97 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Went through the on campus interviewing process. Very positive experience. Was impressed with the senior people I met. Turn around was very quick. The interview involved case, fit and experience based questions. First round was on campus and the second was on site in Boston. There were four rounds of interviews in the second round.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair in November 2014.

Interview was two back to back Skype interviews totaling about 2 hours. The first was supposed to be cultural fit and the second technical, but they were both technical basically and required me to write code on the Codepad website where the interviewer could see it. They had me do some simple programs, and when I mentioned I had briefly looked over SQL prior to the interview they asked me to do some stuff with that, and even though I didn't do so great with it they were just looking for basic knowledge and ability to learn.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had a lot of trouble making program and what you did to fix it (I couldn't think of a good "story")   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair in November 2014.

1st Round is a standard phone screening interview and there is nothing too surprising here.
    2nd Round is a mini-business case
    3rd Round is an in-person interview, but I did not make it that far.

Interview Questions
    • 50,000 shoppers with a 0.5% conversion rate for a chair that costs $250. Wayfair makes a 27% profit.

Next, 50,000 shoppers will get a 10% discount. What is the conversion rate they must achieve to achieve the same profits as before?

View Answer
    • The previous scenario actually happened. Would you give a 10% discount?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

First round phone interview with a current data analytics employee. About 45 minutes in length. Didn't really click with the interviewer which I think was mainly because there was no face-to-face interaction. 100% focused on data analysis, my experience with, what type of programs etc., which I found to be pretty unfair and just a product of the interviewer I had. 30 mins of interview was a case study. It was very challenging to do over the phone and this is where I faltered. It was difficult to catch numbers and such. Know click-through-rates and other type of marketing terms and search engine optimization terms. Also practice algebraic substitution.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was very different from typical practice cases (search engine optimization/marketing based)   Answer Question

Category Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

Applied online and was contacted a few weeks later. Then set up a phone interview shortly after, which was 30 minutes long. She asked me basic questions about my background. Some more specific questions about negotiating and challenges. "tell me about at time when you had to negotiate", "tell me about a time when you had to convince someone and come to a conclusion as a group", "tell me about a time when you had a challenge and you took initiative to make a recommendation". Then the next week I was contacted to set up an in person interview at Copley.

Once at their office. You quickly speak to the recruiter who sets you up with three meetings (2 people per meeting). One is a fit interview, which is a standard interview with similar questions. The second is a scenario analysis, where you go through 5 scenarios and say what you would do in the situation, how you would handle it, what information would you need to come to a conclusion. The final is a case study, which involves financial data and you need to identify trends (low level) and identify why things went the way they did.

Overall it was a good experience. Although it is advertised as an entry level job, they seemed to expect a lot of negotiation experience, which I would think would be hard to come by with a grad.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a boring category like home health (wheelchairs etc). How would you get excited to come to work every day, what would motivate you?

The case is challenging. They will help you a little, but it is hard to digest and spit back out in 10 minutes.

View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

1 and half hour interview. All technical questions staying from Basic to intermediate to hard. The interviewers were really friendly and it was a good experience. Just one on site interview.

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

The process took about 3 rounds, the first being a phone interview. The second being a design test. After reviewing the design test, I was called for an in-office interview. The interview was scheduled for about an hour and a half, where I met with 5 different people that were part of the managing team. It was split into different sections. The first section, after being told about the company, consisted of going through my resume and talking about myself. Then we looked over my portfolio, and the design I had submitted for the design test. Finally, I was given the task of critiquing their website, which led to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing their website was probably the most difficult part of the interview.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Wayfair in August 2014.

Got contacted by HR recruiter from LinkedIn, scheduled first phone screen with HR, and then another from a senior engineer. A few days later, got the onsite interview, nice work environment, opening work space. I liked it.

Questions as below:

1st Round:
    1. Your most recent project, description and what you did, I recommend you prepare every single detail of your project.

2. This is a very database heavy position, so refresh your database fundamentals, like difference between inner join and outer join. You will be design a database with the example from the interviewers.
    3. How do you understand MVC? Pros and Cons?
    4. What is the process when you type in wayfair.com?
    5. Given a website,which is frequently visited by people around the world, causes system failure due to the heavy traffic, how do you solve it? I said use some cache technology and add load balancing device. But I don't know what exactly the cache tech will be.

2nd Round:
    60 mins non-stop talk .
    1. Your experience.
    2. Multi-thread programming used in SQL. 1 million users try to visit wayfair.com, how can you fulfill their requests in time? Describe it.
    3. Familiar with XML? XSD? Describe it.

3rd Round:
    Programming tests:
    1. Bank Check Problem(Convert numeric values into String representation)
    2. Recursion problem: that I did not finish it as i may fail at certain case, but I have no time left. Suggestion: Spit out your thoughts to earn your credits if you cannot complete it ontime.

Interview Questions
    • They focused on whether you have a better understanding of certain fields of knowledge rather than your potential or desire to learn. But at least I know where I needs to be improved. In a nutshell, positive experience. If you can answer all questions above, you will nail it.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair.

Hiring process was very straightforward. The recruiter is very nice and she was very helpful at helping negotiate salary. My first convo was with her. Then she invited me over to a onsite interview, which laster 2 hours. The first hour was about fit and personality. That was very chill. The second hour was very technical in nature and consisted of a lot of algorithmic questions and object oriented design principles. Be prepared to code on the whiteboard and know your data structures well!

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a spreadsheet? Implement some of the code on the whiteboard   Answer Question
    Negotiation took about a day. Recruiter called me the next day after the interview to make an offer, which was lower than I expected so I made a counteroffer. She called me back to talk about the counteroffer and we settled on a number in the middle. The recruiter spoke with the hiring manager about the numbers and called again and said that I would get it.

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Wayfair in June 2014.

I had an initial phone interview followed by a Skype interview. Everyone was extremely nice and personable. Seems like a great company to work for. The interview process dragged out awhile before finding out they hired someone local. Asked standard interview wuestiond

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about work history, experience, yourself etc. nothing that struck me as particularly difficult   Answer Question