Wayfair Interview Questions in Boston, MA

2.7

87 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

The process took about 3 rounds, the first being a phone interview. The second being a design test. After reviewing the design test, I was called for an in-office interview. The interview was scheduled for about an hour and a half, where I met with 5 different people that were part of the managing team. It was split into different sections. The first section, after being told about the company, consisted of going through my resume and talking about myself. Then we looked over my portfolio, and the design I had submitted for the design test. Finally, I was given the task of critiquing their website, which led to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing their website was probably the most difficult part of the interview.   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Wayfair in August 2014.

Got contacted by HR recruiter from LinkedIn, scheduled first phone screen with HR, and then another from a senior engineer. A few days later, got the onsite interview, nice work environment, opening work space. I liked it.

Questions as below:

1st Round:
    1. Your most recent project, description and what you did, I recommend you prepare every single detail of your project.

2. This is a very database heavy position, so refresh your database fundamentals, like difference between inner join and outer join. You will be design a database with the example from the interviewers.
    3. How do you understand MVC? Pros and Cons?
    4. What is the process when you type in wayfair.com?
    5. Given a website,which is frequently visited by people around the world, causes system failure due to the heavy traffic, how do you solve it? I said use some cache technology and add load balancing device. But I don't know what exactly the cache tech will be.

2nd Round:
    60 mins non-stop talk .
    1. Your experience.
    2. Multi-thread programming used in SQL. 1 million users try to visit wayfair.com, how can you fulfill their requests in time? Describe it.
    3. Familiar with XML? XSD? Describe it.

3rd Round:
    Programming tests:
    1. Bank Check Problem(Convert numeric values into String representation)
    2. Recursion problem: that I did not finish it as i may fail at certain case, but I have no time left. Suggestion: Spit out your thoughts to earn your credits if you cannot complete it ontime.

Interview Questions
    • They focused on whether you have a better understanding of certain fields of knowledge rather than your potential or desire to learn. But at least I know where I needs to be improved. In a nutshell, positive experience. If you can answer all questions above, you will nail it.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

I applied at Wayfair for a Category Associate position during winter of 2014. I was then contacted by an recruiter. After a brief talk, she invited me to an in person interview at the offices in Boston. The interview was in 3 parts. There were 2 case interviews and personality questions. I thought I had done well! About a few weeks later I received a call saying that I was not a good fit for the position in particular but that I would be a good fit as a buyer and that she would set up an interview for me.

Again, I went through another phone interview, then went to their office to interview. By this time it would be around 2 months since I initially applied for the position. After the in person interview, I was told that my last step would be submitting an assignment. Again, I thought I did a great job and felt very proud of my work.

About two weeks later, I got called in to meet one of the VPs of the company. I felt honored and excited. I came in dressed professionally and prepared to present my project to her. While I presented to the VP they decided to start eating a salad (a loud and crunchy one at that!).

After a few months of interviews, visiting their office 3 times, and meeting with their VP, I was not given a job offer. I personally am relieved. The interview process felt so disorganized and moreover disrespectful. I will continue to pursue my job search where people do not eat salads while I present something I prepared hard for.

QA Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

Sent in a resume, and was contacted in a couple weeks about a phone interview. The phone interview was quick, and they invited me to come into the office to interview a couple days later. Arriving at the interview, I met with who would be my immediate supervisor, plus his supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy, actually. Just run-of-the mill interview questions. This was for a temp contract so they weren't really testing my intelligence or mental capacity, just trying to get a read on my attention to detail, as the position required a lot of tedious work. So yeah, just expect plenty of question highlighting computer aptitude and/or detail-oriented projects.   Answer Question
    It was a temp position so there was no room for negotiation.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Wayfair.

Hiring process was very straightforward. The recruiter is very nice and she was very helpful at helping negotiate salary. My first convo was with her. Then she invited me over to a onsite interview, which laster 2 hours. The first hour was about fit and personality. That was very chill. The second hour was very technical in nature and consisted of a lot of algorithmic questions and object oriented design principles. Be prepared to code on the whiteboard and know your data structures well!

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a spreadsheet? Implement some of the code on the whiteboard   Answer Question
    Negotiation took about a day. Recruiter called me the next day after the interview to make an offer, which was lower than I expected so I made a counteroffer. She called me back to talk about the counteroffer and we settled on a number in the middle. The recruiter spoke with the hiring manager about the numbers and called again and said that I would get it.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wayfair in May 2014.

Applied Online.
    First interview with HR comprised of standard set of question.
    2nd was technical telephone interview . Mostly SQL related and some OO concepts.
    3rd was onsite interview which comprised of three interviews of 1 hour each. 1st was with senior software engineer and solution architect. They asked questions related to database design, normalization n some sql queries. Some question related to webservices and xml. Write a program to covert number to word. (quite easy).
    2nd Interview was with two senior software engineers . They asked questions related to design patterns and solve given problem applying one of them. They asked to write a program which required recursive function call.
    3rd was with Director. Overall strength and experience check. Question right from troubleshooting a web page load problem to database explain plans.
    The process took two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unsual. All the questions/answers using white board reflected the collaborative culture of the company.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wayfair in September 2013.

Applied online process took 5+ Weeks.

Network Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

One interview. On sight. Resume based and network and sql related questions basic questions.

Business Intelligence Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

Resume drop through college career service. selected students were scheduled for on campus interviews.

Interview Questions
    • a small quantitative case. The interviewer jumped right into a case, which is not hard but can be intimidating if you have never practice this type of questions before   Answer Question

Joss & Main Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Received a phone call from a recruiter.. Spoke with them & then had an interview at the office. I interviewed with the buying manager and one of the lead buyers. Asked general questions but also questions about how I would handle the fast-paced environment and deadlines. The interview only lasted twenty minutes. A week later I then received a call from the recruiter with the outcome of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel comfortable in a fast-paced environment and why?   Answer Question

I declined Joss & Main because of the lower salary and the environment that you would work in was not my cup of tea.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!