Wayfair Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.7

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

1st round: Standard HR Screening Interview
    2nd round: Phone interview from one of the managers in Business Intelligence, mini business case
    3rd Round: In person with all three managers in Business Intelligence, mini business case + a longer one

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and then HR reached out to me. I had a phone interview with a Software Engineer and was immediately invited for an on-site interview. I was given an option to choose between two teams and I couldn't decide.So they went ahead and arranged the interview with two teams.
    Onsite interview had 4 rounds: sql, technical, design and director rounds.
    In each round two people interviewed me, each from one team.

I didn't do well in the director round and they felt my reasons to choose wayfair are not good enough.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: 1.Given an array where each element is repeated twice except for one element, find that element.
      2,write a sql query to sync Table A with Table B.(They are replicas but Table A missed some records).

Onsite: Sql: They checked if I knew Group By, OrderBy, Having, Intersect keywords by asking me some sql queries.
      Technical: Create strings from a nested list of level 2. eg: [[fast, slow], [brown,black],[dog,fox]] => fast brown dog, fast brown fox,slow brown dog.......(Used recursion to solve this)
      Design webcrawler
      Design: 1. Parking lot and excel spreadsheet
      Director: why wayfair?,which team would you prefer? why hire you? what value do you bring to our company?

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial introductory phone call with somebody from HR to go over the company description and position details. After that they scheduled a phone technical interview.

Phone interview takes about 45mins, with a mix of technical question and a code exercise.

Recommend to not go over the top on your interview. Make sure the guy on the other side won't be threatened by your skills. Try not to excel, keep simple it and only reply to what you are asked for.

Interview Questions

• What is a primary key and what is used for?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between Public, Protected and Private access modifiers?   Answer Question
    • What is a database temporary table and what is used for?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through college recruiting program. I had a first round interview on campus and then a Super-Day in Boston comprised of 3 consecutive interviews (2 had cases, one was pure fit). There also was a small, informal panel of current employees in the position for which I was applying. They were very open to answering questions open and honestly.

The people I met were very positive and happy to be working at their company. They made me feel right at home.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 telephonic round + onsite interview- Asked about Search engine, Indexing-cursor- temp table sql question, Write program on notepad, some randon array given- to implement tree search- onsite interview for 4 hours...basic one

Interview Questions

• Asked about Search engine, Indexing-cursor- temp table sql question, Write program on notepad- some randon array given- to implement tree search- onsite interview for 4 hours...basic one   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, 2 Phone interviews one with recruiter one with hiring manager, 1 in person interview with two other hiring managers. Whole experience gave me a pretty bad feeling about the company, all the recruiters talk about is how quickly the business intelligence team is growing yet the hiring managers did not support that claim at all, the team is actually shrinking in size. I spoke with a recruiter a year ago and was told there are three teams of six analysts and now there are three teams of 4-6 analysts. That doesn't sound like a growing team to me. In fact it sounded like there was pretty high turnover within the business intelligence department. Probably because the job posting discusses how important the role is but does not mention that this role only deals with business reporting. The hiring manager made it very clear that there is no analysis at all. On top of that, the hiring manager was pretty rude in the interview and checked their phone 3 or 4 times after asking a question and was clearly not paying attention when they weren't on their phone.

Interview Questions

• 2 case studies - marketing campaigns and excel code (explain the model)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

Went through the on campus interviewing process. Very positive experience. Was impressed with the senior people I met. Turn around was very quick. The interview involved case, fit and experience based questions. First round was on campus and the second was on site in Boston. There were four rounds of interviews in the second round.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Round is a standard phone screening interview and there is nothing too surprising here.
    2nd Round is a mini-business case
    3rd Round is an in-person interview, but I did not make it that far.

Interview Questions

• 50,000 shoppers with a 0.5% conversion rate for a chair that costs $250. Wayfair makes a 27% profit.

Next, 50,000 shoppers will get a 10% discount. What is the conversion rate they must achieve to achieve the same profits as before?

1 Answer
    • The previous scenario actually happened. Would you give a 10% discount?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview was two back to back Skype interviews totaling about 2 hours. The first was supposed to be cultural fit and the second technical, but they were both technical basically and required me to write code on the Codepad website where the interviewer could see it. They had me do some simple programs, and when I mentioned I had briefly looked over SQL prior to the interview they asked me to do some stuff with that, and even though I didn't do so great with it they were just looking for basic knowledge and ability to learn.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a lot of trouble making program and what you did to fix it (I couldn't think of a good "story")   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

First round phone interview with a current data analytics employee. About 45 minutes in length. Didn't really click with the interviewer which I think was mainly because there was no face-to-face interaction. 100% focused on data analysis, my experience with, what type of programs etc., which I found to be pretty unfair and just a product of the interviewer I had. 30 mins of interview was a case study. It was very challenging to do over the phone and this is where I faltered. It was difficult to catch numbers and such. Know click-through-rates and other type of marketing terms and search engine optimization terms. Also practice algebraic substitution.

Interview Questions

• The case study was very different from typical practice cases (search engine optimization/marketing based)   Answer Question