Wayfair Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

I applied at Wayfair for a Category Associate position during winter of 2014. I was then contacted by an recruiter. After a brief talk, she invited me to an in person interview at the offices in Boston. The interview was in 3 parts. There were 2 case interviews and personality questions. I thought I had done well! About a few weeks later I received a call saying that I was not a good fit for the position in particular but that I would be a good fit as a buyer and that she would set up an interview for me.

Again, I went through another phone interview, then went to their office to interview. By this time it would be around 2 months since I initially applied for the position. After the in person interview, I was told that my last step would be submitting an assignment. Again, I thought I did a great job and felt very proud of my work.

About two weeks later, I got called in to meet one of the VPs of the company. I felt honored and excited. I came in dressed professionally and prepared to present my project to her. While I presented to the VP they decided to start eating a salad (a loud and crunchy one at that!).

After a few months of interviews, visiting their office 3 times, and meeting with their VP, I was not given a job offer. I personally am relieved. The interview process felt so disorganized and moreover disrespectful. I will continue to pursue my job search where people do not eat salads while I present something I prepared hard for.

Associate Digital Media Producer Interview

I was interviewed over the phone because I was out of the country, the recruiter was generally nice but seemed as if she's already bored and wanted to get over with. Several general questions were asked with the promise to be contacted again in a specific number of days, which didn't happen and took a longer time. At the end I was emailed with rejection, of course with reasons and details which is something to be respected of course.

Interview Questions
    • Is there anything you want to know about regarding Wayfair?   View Answer

Entry Level Sale and Customer Service Representative Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2010.

Very quick and to the point. Specialist in hiring conducted interview in a turnstyle fashion. Questions were fairly expected. Be prepared to know how to describe your background, strengths and weaknesses, and why you want to work in customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in Customer Service?   View Answer
    Very closed negotiation. Salaries are fixed at a lower than average amount with full-time employee benefits (401K, medical, dental). Rationale for low salary was that a percentage of stock was also given to each employee as well (private company). However, I never received any stock options.

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hebron, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Hebron, KY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Wayfair in June 2014.

I was interviewed multiple times with different people, but mostly stayed in touch with one of them throughout the whole process. I did an in-person interview and a test shoot. The people there were really nice and considerate. I could tell they would be awesome people to work with. After the in-person interview, I stayed in touch with someone who is updating me on the position. I'm very pleased with how much they've stayed in contact with me about the role.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have an unexpected question. It felt like more of an interview/conversation rather than a formal interview, and I enjoyed that. It made me feel more at ease and allowed me to loosen up.   Answer Question

QA Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

Sent in a resume, and was contacted in a couple weeks about a phone interview. The phone interview was quick, and they invited me to come into the office to interview a couple days later. Arriving at the interview, I met with who would be my immediate supervisor, plus his supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy, actually. Just run-of-the mill interview questions. This was for a temp contract so they weren't really testing my intelligence or mental capacity, just trying to get a read on my attention to detail, as the position required a lot of tedious work. So yeah, just expect plenty of question highlighting computer aptitude and/or detail-oriented projects.   Answer Question
    It was a temp position so there was no room for negotiation.

Business Interview

I believe I applied to their internship program through indeed or some similar site. They were prompt in their communication after receiving my application; I heard back in probably 2 business days or so. The interview was very basic. They asked very typical questions, such as, "Tell me about yourself." There was nothing difficult about the actual interview. However, they wanted an intern with more experience with more business experience than I had.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a situation in which you demonstrated negotiation skills.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Wayfair.

Hiring process was very straightforward. The recruiter is very nice and she was very helpful at helping negotiate salary. My first convo was with her. Then she invited me over to a onsite interview, which laster 2 hours. The first hour was about fit and personality. That was very chill. The second hour was very technical in nature and consisted of a lot of algorithmic questions and object oriented design principles. Be prepared to code on the whiteboard and know your data structures well!

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a spreadsheet? Implement some of the code on the whiteboard   Answer Question
    Negotiation took about a day. Recruiter called me the next day after the interview to make an offer, which was lower than I expected so I made a counteroffer. She called me back to talk about the counteroffer and we settled on a number in the middle. The recruiter spoke with the hiring manager about the numbers and called again and said that I would get it.

Software Engineer Interview

Started with a 30 min phone interview then onsite meeting with about 6 different people. All one day, all on the same floor. Mostly all in the same department and everyone had reviewed my resume which was good. Some of the same questions but all relevant and I don't mind repeat questions since they were separate interviews.

Software Engineer I Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Wayfair.

Step 1: Spoke with recruiter. She asked me about prior projects, technologies that I've worked with, previous salary, desired salary, etc.
    Step 2: Phone interview with Software Engineer II. He asked me four main questions. 1) What's the benefit of using a Web Service instead of SQL directly in client side code. 2) Given a singly linked list, swap the element at position k with the element k nodes from the end. 3) What are the different SQL Joins. 4) Write an SQL query. Ultimately, i didn't have enough database experience to move onto the next round.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Wayfair in November 2013.

A few questions on OO, a few sorting complexity questions, what languages have you used, how to parse a number between 0 - 999 to a string (as if it were to be written for a check). Recruiters wanted to know about my school projects, interests and really anything about you for their cultural fit (not just CS knowledge). Really friendly!

Interview Questions
    • Was thrown off by the amount of cultural fit questions (favorite hobby, what do you do outside of CS), since I was expecting pure CS questions and maybe a few questions on my resume experience.

They get back to you exceptionally fast, so that was also pretty awesome!
        Answer Question
    No just an intern.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!