Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview 1: Received an email from a tech recruiter asking to have a phone screen. Talked to the recruiter about my background and fit with the company. Recruiter told me right away that I would advance to phone screen 2 with the manager of the team. Phone Interview 2: Talked about my background and the manager explained how the team works. Nothing out of the ordinary. Invited to the office for a 5 hour interview the week after. In person interview: Sat down with two people from the team. Gave me an excel sheet to look at with three different products. One had a sale going on and the question was to analyze if the sale should continue in the beginning of next year for one of the products. You had a lot of numbers to look at and you had to calculate different ratios to get an idea if they should keep the sale or not. Met with two other members of the team - asked me more about what I would do in different scenarios, how I would handle a sales manager asking me why we (the pricing team) lowered / raised the price of a product. Met 1:1 with a Sr Manager. This was the toughest part. The person asked me what would happen in a bunch of different scenarios relating to sales, order increases and increases in product cost. Kind of got grilled but it was a great experience but definitely tough. Overall: Great team and friendly environment. They are definitely helping you out and looking out for you. I did not get the job (told me they hired someone with more experience and I'm sure they did since I didn't have the perfect background for this role) but was in the end encouraged to apply for other analyst roles. Reached out to the recruiter to ask what roles would be best but haven't received an answer so that is my only negative about this experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do when a sales manager comes and asks you why you lowered the price of the product? The sales manager is worried about this and the supplier isn't happy.   1 Answer

Web Developer - CSS/HTML Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

Phone screen & then Skype Interview Technical recruiter (phone screen) was very nice and asked fair questions. Once I answered the questions she explained that I would be scheduled for a Skype interview with one of the developers. The engineer for the Skype interview was extremely cordial and the experience was pretty low stress. The technical challenges were detailed and specific - requiring a pretty strong grasp of CSS (particularly positioning and selector specificity). I came away with the impression that Wayfair would be a good place to work if he was a representative employee.

Interview Questions

• Phone screen: what are the differences between block, inline, and inline block display? What's the difference between the use of internal and external styles? Skype Interview: Pretty detailed knowledge of positioning, selector specificity, and CSS-generated content was needed.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

I applied and then within a day or two they emailed me back. They first asked me a couple of questions to get an understanding of how thoroughly I understood web development. They then asked for a sample of work so I sent in a project that I had developed a year earlier. They then asked me to complete a problem in Java, which I did within a day. After that, I had a coding interview where they asked me to write code while they looked on in a collaborative coding site. I didn't do very well because of a lack of sleep and they did not pursue any further. They seemed fair and their questions weren't very hard. My main problem was coding on a lack of sleep and talking out my problems, as it was my first or second interview right out of college.

Interview Questions

• How I would speed up a web application and the difference between an inner and outer join in SQL   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

First there is a phone interview. Then its the in person interview. In person, you get interviewed by 2-3 people. Its a very positive and homie interview. Not scary at all. They ask you a couple of questions, a lot of situational ones. The interviews tends to last for 30mins to a hour, which is not bad.

Interview Questions

• What would your last boss say about you? Good and Bad? If you were speaking to a customer on the phone and heard a lot of background noise (like children or a dog) how would you get there attention? What makes you different than others?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Orem, UT) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview was quite rigorous and lengthy. I recommend keeping a pen and paper handy because I jotted down a LOT of info about the job. You will also complete testing, be sure to get plenty of sleep so you can preform at your best.

Interview Questions

• When was an instance where you were judged ethically at you job?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Pretty typical interview process however, you have to go through several rounds - phone interview, skype interview and finally they'll call you to visit the campus. The interview lasts about 45 minutes each. When you're on campus visit be prepared to write code on whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical and scenario based questions. Question range from SDLC to arrays, objects, variables, and encapsulation.   Answer Question

Category Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA).

Interview

-Initial phone call with recruiter- just asked basic questions about why I wanted the job and my background -Scheduled an interview for 2 weeks later, met with 6 people (half hour with 2 people) -One half hour segment was very easy going and they just wanted to know about my background and my personality -The next two were about my data analysis skills. They make you do a few cases as well as analyze a data chart --They seem to expect a lot of data experience for an entry level job

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I went through an initial phone screening, and then an in person interview where I met with two different groups of people. It was pretty basic, and I felt pretty good about it. But I didn't hear back for almost a week, so eventually I followed up with them. I was told that the spot I initially interviewed for had been filled, but that they want me to come back in and interview for a buying role on a different team within the company. So I went in for another interview, although this one was a lot more difficult. There were just a lot of questions that I felt I couldn't know the answer to before going through the training. However, they offered me the position later that afternoon!

Chat and Email Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Wayfair (Clarksville, TN) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview was scheduled for 9am CST, I called them at 9:10 am because it was never specified who was calling who. She asked why I was applying at wayfair after seeing the position available. When I told her that I was looking for a work at home position and thought I'd try applying since there's nothing specifying whether they hire remotely, but that I saw GlassDoor reviews that stated they did have remote workers- she advised me that employees can work remotely after being on site for 6 months and they must live near the site. This cut the interview short since I am not looking to relocate.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about this position?   1 Answer

Digital Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviews with four senior execs at joss and main. Two case studies. NO call back at all! They didn't even try to sell me on the role which is how I knew they had nothing to sell me on. This place is a mess.