Wayfair

Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.8

Category Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

Applied online and was contacted a few weeks later. Then set up a phone interview shortly after, which was 30 minutes long. She asked me basic questions about my background. Some more specific questions about negotiating and challenges. "tell me about at time when you had to negotiate", "tell me about a time when you had to convince someone and come to a conclusion as a group", "tell me about a time when you had a challenge and you took initiative to make a recommendation". Then the next week I was contacted to set up an in person interview at Copley.

Once at their office. You quickly speak to the recruiter who sets you up with three meetings (2 people per meeting). One is a fit interview, which is a standard interview with similar questions. The second is a scenario analysis, where you go through 5 scenarios and say what you would do in the situation, how you would handle it, what information would you need to come to a conclusion. The final is a case study, which involves financial data and you need to identify trends (low level) and identify why things went the way they did.

Overall it was a good experience. Although it is advertised as an entry level job, they seemed to expect a lot of negotiation experience, which I would think would be hard to come by with a grad.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a boring category like home health (wheelchairs etc). How would you get excited to come to work every day, what would motivate you?

The case is challenging. They will help you a little, but it is hard to digest and spit back out in 10 minutes.

View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

1 and half hour interview. All technical questions staying from Basic to intermediate to hard. The interviewers were really friendly and it was a good experience. Just one on site interview.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

First round phone interview with a current data analytics employee. About 45 minutes in length. Didn't really click with the interviewer which I think was mainly because there was no face-to-face interaction. 100% focused on data analysis, my experience with, what type of programs etc., which I found to be pretty unfair and just a product of the interviewer I had. 30 mins of interview was a case study. It was very challenging to do over the phone and this is where I faltered. It was difficult to catch numbers and such. Know click-through-rates and other type of marketing terms and search engine optimization terms. Also practice algebraic substitution.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was very different from typical practice cases (search engine optimization/marketing based)   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

Recruiter was very nice and helpful throughout the entire process. Interviewer was somewhat difficult to understand and made understanding the quantitative case questions difficult. Barely any behavioral or situational interview questions, mainly just informational and going through my resume

Was encouraged to apply for different position.

Interview Questions
    • Was not expecting the quantitative case interview over the phone. There were no questions relating to BI or database structure/SQL language.   View Answer

Product Integration Interview

Reached out via email by HR to have a phone interview. Phone interview was very short and basic then asked on the spot to come in for face to face interview. The interview was very short lasting under 20 mins. Basic interview questions. This was for a temporary role.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Had three separate one on one interviews that went well. The interviewers were well versed which made the interview more of a challenge. It was a long interview - close to three hours.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were behavioral based - what did your manager list as a weakness in your last performance review and did you agree with the them? Did you change the way you worked to appease them?   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

First I was contacted by the recruiter who asked basic recruiter questions about my education and past work experiences. Then a phone interview was set up with a senior software engineer a couple days later. First of all the interviewer had a very strong accent which was hard to understand and I had to ask him to repeat several of the questions. The first question was what happens when you enter a url into the browser. The next question was about socket communication protocol. The last 3 or 4 questions all had to do with SQL. The SQL questions were usually pretty long. Make sure you have a notepad on hand to write down the question so you don't have to keep asking him to repeat it.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly difficult but there were a lot of SQL questions which I was unprepared for. Make sure you brush up on your SQL.   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wayfair.

Got an email from HR about setting up a phone interview but it's directly with someone in the department I applied to. Not much behavioral questions and no initial interview from HR like most other companies. The phone interview focused on past experiences and had a mini business case. Then got an email a few days later about on-site interview. Two business cases in the on-site interview. Got a phone call the next week about their decision. Pretty quick responses and not let you wait forever.

Interview Questions
    Didn't negotiate at all because I was pretty satisfied with the offer.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Initially had two phone conversations. One with the recruiting/HR department and then another involving the BI supervisor. The second interview involved a case study about advertising for Wayfair that involved basic percentage calculations.

After that there was an in person interview at their Boston office where I was able to see the place and was put through two more tests. The first was another business case study then I was give 6 pages of code to interpret.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Very straighforward   View Answer

Junior Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

The process took about 3 rounds, the first being a phone interview. The second being a design test. After reviewing the design test, I was called for an in-office interview. The interview was scheduled for about an hour and a half, where I met with 5 different people that were part of the managing team. It was split into different sections. The first section, after being told about the company, consisted of going through my resume and talking about myself. Then we looked over my portfolio, and the design I had submitted for the design test. Finally, I was given the task of critiquing their website, which led to the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Critiquing their website was probably the most difficult part of the interview.   Answer Question