Wayfair

132 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Copywriter Interview

Junior Copywriter

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview Details – Asked about writing experience, portfolio, comfort with pitching ideas and reaching out to external clients.

Interview Question – Pitch me on a local restaurant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on salary.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

Interview Details – Step 1 - Recruiter contacted me about opening

Step 2 - Recruiter interviewed and asked typical recruiter questions.

Step 3 - 30 minutes technical interview. Interviewer asked about project that I liked in the past. And asked question related to SQL join.

Step 4 - Onsite interview - 3 hours long.
1-st Hour: asked how to write code for all possible string permutation, you can find answer to this question on internet. Both interviewer has much less experience than me. I didn't expect to get such programming task, so couldn't find a solution.
Then they asked about database related question, how to extend existing database to add more features and how to write SQL queries. The second question relatively easy.

2-nd Hour: Interviewer is more senior than the previous one. Asked how to design a web browser. Then how to convert number 1-99 to word, then how to extend with number up to 999.

3-rd Hour: Hiring manager also asked how to implement different kind of problem, one example how write code to list the UNIX file system, basically how to implement "ls" command.

After the last interview, the recruiter said that they're going to give feedback about the result.

Step 5 - Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days saying that my skills and experience don't match the role they have quite as well as some other candidates.

I'm disappointed about the feedback, I thought I would get a better explanation. I knew that it wasn't a good fit, since I have more experience than all of the people that interviewed me. So, they're looking for people that has done mostly programming (not architecture) in the last few years.

Interview Question – Write a code that show all possible permutation from a given String.   View Answer

Business Account Manager Interview

Business Account Manager
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview Details – Simple phone interview (to make sure are good over the phone), easy enough person interview with 1 or 2 of the managers.

Interview Question – Typical sales questions.   Answer Question

Interactive Designer Intern Interview

Interactive Designer Intern
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Then after 20 days I received an email about having a Design test. It supposed to take 2,3 hours, but I should say that, it took 8 hours! Supper hard design questions

Interview Question – Designing small banner for referencing Wayfair campaign.   Answer Question

IT Intern Interview

IT Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview Details – Talked through a job fair through campus recruitment. Was responded to a month later through email and interview was requested through phone. There were two separate interviewers. My interviewer was really nice for behavioral questions but my other interviewer for the technical areas was kind of uncomfortable. The technical questions weren't particularly specific. They asked some really broad questions that you can't really prepare for. You just know it or you don't.

Interview Question – They asked some of the questions covered by other reviews. It doesn't seem they updated their questions in that sense.   Answer Question

Software Engineer/Data Scientist Interview

Software Engineer/Data Scientist
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in May 2013.

Interview Details – Poor in-person interview logistics/experience. I was in Boston for personal reasons, but had to change my trains make it to the office in time. Wayfair refused to reimburse me, even after their recruiting rep said he 'likely' could! Also, top-level managers were unprepared and somewhat unprofessional.

Interview Question – Business case -- they presented me an e-mail and their problems with recommend, and suggested ways I might improve it. Also a 'lightning' round of mathematical, statistical, and programming questions that was a little all over the place (and not tailored to your resume), and done in a binary yes/no fashion.   Answer Question

Product Development Interview

Product Development
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview Details – The interview process was very smooth and well organized. Recruiter was very friendly and great at keeping me up to date on the progress. They were very fast and thorough with organizing my trip to interview in Boston. it was phone screen, phone interview with this hiring manager and in person group interview that last about 4 hours. Two people interviewed me at the same time which is much better than being interviewed separately as that usually leads to having to answer same questions over and over again. Everyone I interviewed with was very familiar with my resume and their questions were well-thought out. I chose another job offer that was a better fit for me but I have to say this was a very good interview experience. Seems like a good company to work for.

Interview Question – Questions were rather straight forward - no trick questions. They were interested in learning more about how familiar I was with their product and what ideas I had for improvement. This interview started with a case study which I thought was a bit unexpected since it was an early morning interview.   Answer Question

Logistics Interview

Logistics
Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Wayfair.

Interview Details – Wayfair hiring and interview process was relatively straight forward. They have a great recruitment team who does all of the initial contacting. Resume submissions are passed through this team and they will sort candidates accordingly. They will plan interviews with your departmental leads. Typically the interview process is one interview in which they will call you if they like you or not, they do not string along candidates for them to find out they did not end up getting the position.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness? This may seem a straightforward question yet this places a lot of weight on the candidate as they do not want to appear to have a huge flaw while also trying not to sound overly arrogant.   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Software Engineer I
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by a friend. The response was immediate since they are hiring extensively for engineers.

Initial phone round was with the HR. It was pretty simple. We walked through my resume and then she asked me the difference between inner join and outer join. Before the phone call ended, she told me that they would like me to setup technical phone round with them.

I was being considered for a Dot Net Software Engineer as well as for their bootcamp program.

The interviewer for technical phone interview(30 min) was from Dot Net team. Asked me about my experience with Dot Net, the types of projects that I had worked on. He also asked
1) Difference between stored procedures and Functions
2) Whether they support multiple row output
3)What is a temp var and a temp table
4) Where are they stored
5) Explain MVC
6) Asked if i knew anything about SQL tuning or DB tuning.

The technical phone round happened on a Friday, HR called me back on Sunday and informed me that I had been selected for the onsite interview.

The onsite interview had 4 interviews each 1-hour long and 2 small interviews with the HR. The ones with HR were more of an information session and not an interview.
Most of the interviewers were friendly.
I was asked these questions
1) HTML code to make a table and display some date (through binding) in it.
2) Server side(Web server and DB server) troubleshooting scenario questions.
3) Write a function to print Fibonacci sequence for a given number
4) Assume you have a binary number 00110010, you apply some function on it and the number changes to some random number 10100011. Write a function to determine which numbers flipped from 0 to 1 and which bits flipped from 1 to 0. (You will have to write 2 different functions for 0 to 1 and 1 to 0).
5) Write a function to pad a given number with preceding zeros to make it a number of length 9
6) Explain SQL Injection
7) Explain Cross site scripting
8) Explain indexing and pros and cons and other details
9) Write a program to convert a given number from 1 to 999 into words, like for 532 output should be Five hundred and Thirty two. Follow up question- change the program so that it supports conversion till a huge number like 1 billion. What will you do to optimize it.
10) Logical puzzle- 4 persons and a bridge, cross with a torch. You can google this puzzle.
11) Some Database design questions. Given a webpage with certain fields, how will you design you DB.
12) Logical puzzle- 2 eggs, 15 turns, 100 storey building. Determine the floor when the egg would break.
13) What are abstract classes, how are they different from regular classes.
14) Explain RESTful concept.
15) Web services difference from REST.
16) When would you use webservice and when would you use a library file?

I answered majority of the questions(80-90%) except the egg puzzle. I answered all the programming questions.
I wasn't asked any behavioral questions.

NO OFFER!!

I am not sure what are they looking for in the candidate.

Interview Question – Assume you have a binary number 00110010, you apply some function on it and the number changes to some random number 10100011. Write a function to determine which numbers flipped from 0 to 1 and which bits flipped from 1 to 0. (You will have to write 2 different functions for 0 to 1 and 1 to 0).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

Interview Details – Step-1: applied on 12/02/13
Step-2: Recruiter Interviewed me and asked me those typical questions.
Step-3: 30 mins Technical interview. Interviewr asked me same questions as mentioned on glassdoor like explain one project, one SQL queries using join, difference between interface and abstract class, etc.
Step-4: 1hr technical interview. Explain project, number to word program,
Step-5: 1hr technical interview. Difference between Java and python which one you would use in which situation. what happens after you type url in the browser. Interviewer seemed too interested in my capstone project ad he spent 40 mins discussing its every detail.
Step-6: Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days and offered a job.

Interview Question – Nothing. Every question seems pre decided.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was not so good. No relocation or signing bonus benefits. It's not worth to work in downtown Boston area at this pay.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wayfair