Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Sep 23, 2014

2.7

Business Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Simple phone interview (to make sure are good over the phone), easy enough person interview with 1 or 2 of the managers.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

I applied online, and get invited to their Skype interview. There were 2 * 45 min Skype interviews. They both asked me technical questions and brain teasing questions. First interviewer ask me some simple SQL query statements along with some OO questions. The second interviewer asked me about my past experience and one simple coding question and web service questions. Topics were pretty board, I didn't know all of them. I literally told them to skip to the next question. Recruiters were pretty easy going!

Interview Questions
    • Most of questions are fairly easy. Ensure that you know SQL, OO, and some knowledge of web programming.   Answer Question
    Didn't negotiate, as it's just an intern.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

Submitted my resume at school career fair and online, and got a Skype interview within a week. The interview session was actually 2 ~45 min sessions: culture fit and technical, each with a separate interviewer.

The culture fit interview was still mostly about my previous tech experience: most difficult project, group project dynamics, etc. The culture fit interview also had a basic coding question - how to merge and sort two unordered lists.

The technical interview was a bunch of SQL queries, probably because I had SQL listed as a skill in my resume. No particular query stood out, but they did all build on each other.

Got the offer ~2 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Given a table that stores many companies' historical stock values and their dates, write a SQL query to return the date and company X's last stock value for each day.   Answer Question

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

Asked basic questions, had a ~15 question quiz with two IT employees and then had a 20 minute interview with the head of IT who described the systems that they use and what you would be required to do. Both interviews showed a lot of happiness and was less formal than expected.

Interview Questions
    • Some file transfer questions and some difficult and vague questions about the systems they use   Answer Question

Market Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

The first phone interview consisted of pretty standard questions, previous employment, goals, my personal understanding of the position. Several questions about previous experiences that would be useful in this position, after a short conversation with the recruiter we determined the position would not be a good fit for me, but refered me to other better fits within the company.

Network Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

One interview. On sight. Resume based and network and sql related questions basic questions.

IT Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Talked through a job fair through campus recruitment. Was responded to a month later through email and interview was requested through phone. There were two separate interviewers. My interviewer was really nice for behavioral questions but my other interviewer for the technical areas was kind of uncomfortable. The technical questions weren't particularly specific. They asked some really broad questions that you can't really prepare for. You just know it or you don't.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some of the questions covered by other reviews. It doesn't seem they updated their questions in that sense.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

Step 1 - Recruiter contacted me about opening

Step 2 - Recruiter interviewed and asked typical recruiter questions.

Step 3 - 30 minutes technical interview. Interviewer asked about project that I liked in the past. And asked question related to SQL join.

Step 4 - Onsite interview - 3 hours long.
    1-st Hour: asked how to write code for all possible string permutation, you can find answer to this question on internet. Both interviewer has much less experience than me. I didn't expect to get such programming task, so couldn't find a solution.
    Then they asked about database related question, how to extend existing database to add more features and how to write SQL queries. The second question relatively easy.

2-nd Hour: Interviewer is more senior than the previous one. Asked how to design a web browser. Then how to convert number 1-99 to word, then how to extend with number up to 999.

3-rd Hour: Hiring manager also asked how to implement different kind of problem, one example how write code to list the UNIX file system, basically how to implement "ls" command.

After the last interview, the recruiter said that they're going to give feedback about the result.

Step 5 - Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days saying that my skills and experience don't match the role they have quite as well as some other candidates.

I'm disappointed about the feedback, I thought I would get a better explanation. I knew that it wasn't a good fit, since I have more experience than all of the people that interviewed me. So, they're looking for people that has done mostly programming (not architecture) in the last few years.

Interview Questions
    • Write a code that show all possible permutation from a given String.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

I applied at university career fair and recruiter contacted me 2 weeks later.

Had 80 mins interview with two software engineers on skype. Talked about projects and had some questions about SQL, data structure, and DNS.

Recruiter got back to me after one week and offered me a job

Interactive Designer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2014.

I applied online. Then after 20 days I received an email about having a Design test. It supposed to take 2,3 hours, but I should say that, it took 8 hours! Supper hard design questions

Interview Questions
    • Designing small banner for referencing Wayfair campaign.   Answer Question