Wayfair

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

2.8

Category Associate Interview

Short phone interview followed by an on-site interview with three portions. First was personality interview, next were short cases, and finally a more quantitative long form case. Long form case involved analyzing a spreadsheet with sales data. Shorter cases took about five minutes each.

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in September 2014.

3 rounds of interviews. Initial HR screening. half hour with the manager and then a 3 hour session with 2 directors.

First HR screening was fairly a straightforward are you a good fit for this job.
    Second with a manager got into some of the details and skills required. There was a simple marketing analytics use case to determine a 'what if' question if they were doing some A-B testing. It was worded a bit odd but I was able to get through it.

The In office interview was interesting. The offices are amazing looking and they look to be rapidly growing. Wasn't a fan of how close people are sitting and working together, I know we all dread the cubical farm but it looked like each team had no personal space. Everyone on a table together.

The interview process was smooth. Tell us about your experience and why you would be a good fit. There were 2 more additional use cases. Another marketing analytics A-B testing question. What would our adoption rate need to be if we changed the discount offered. Simple.

Interview Questions
    • The next question was very complex. It was effectively a list of complex equation that represent long if-statements in excel. You're given 30 minutes to break them down and explain what they mean. I got about halfway through before running out of time. These were complex and given the time limit nature of the questions, I approached the tactic of understand just the basics from each one. Bad idea. I was told later that most interviewees hardly get through the first half.   View Answer

Senior Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in September 2014.

Recruiter contacted me. Got scheduled for the phone interview next week.
    1. Phone interview with Sr developer
    2. Skype interview with Sr developer
    3. Onsite ( 4 1:1 interviews)

Meet 4 people, last interview was with the Director. He practically told me that salary that I am getting is 20% above market so I pretty much knew that they are going to low- ball the offer.
    I am getting paid as per market rate not less not more.

Low salary/benefits, they gave 5% raise to my current salary, i didn't think it was worth the change.

Associate Digital Media Producer Interview

I was interviewed over the phone because I was out of the country, the recruiter was generally nice but seemed as if she's already bored and wanted to get over with. Several general questions were asked with the promise to be contacted again in a specific number of days, which didn't happen and took a longer time. At the end I was emailed with rejection, of course with reasons and details which is something to be respected of course.

Interview Questions
    • Is there anything you want to know about regarding Wayfair?   View Answer

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Wayfair in August 2014.

Got contacted by HR recruiter from LinkedIn, scheduled first phone screen with HR, and then another from a senior engineer. A few days later, got the onsite interview, nice work environment, opening work space. I liked it.

Questions as below:

1st Round:
    1. Your most recent project, description and what you did, I recommend you prepare every single detail of your project.

2. This is a very database heavy position, so refresh your database fundamentals, like difference between inner join and outer join. You will be design a database with the example from the interviewers.
    3. How do you understand MVC? Pros and Cons?
    4. What is the process when you type in wayfair.com?
    5. Given a website,which is frequently visited by people around the world, causes system failure due to the heavy traffic, how do you solve it? I said use some cache technology and add load balancing device. But I don't know what exactly the cache tech will be.

2nd Round:
    60 mins non-stop talk .
    1. Your experience.
    2. Multi-thread programming used in SQL. 1 million users try to visit wayfair.com, how can you fulfill their requests in time? Describe it.
    3. Familiar with XML? XSD? Describe it.

3rd Round:
    Programming tests:
    1. Bank Check Problem(Convert numeric values into String representation)
    2. Recursion problem: that I did not finish it as i may fail at certain case, but I have no time left. Suggestion: Spit out your thoughts to earn your credits if you cannot complete it ontime.

Interview Questions
    • They focused on whether you have a better understanding of certain fields of knowledge rather than your potential or desire to learn. But at least I know where I needs to be improved. In a nutshell, positive experience. If you can answer all questions above, you will nail it.   Answer Question

Business Interview

I believe I applied to their internship program through indeed or some similar site. They were prompt in their communication after receiving my application; I heard back in probably 2 business days or so. The interview was very basic. They asked very typical questions, such as, "Tell me about yourself." There was nothing difficult about the actual interview. However, they wanted an intern with more experience with more business experience than I had.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss a situation in which you demonstrated negotiation skills.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair.

Hiring process was very straightforward. The recruiter is very nice and she was very helpful at helping negotiate salary. My first convo was with her. Then she invited me over to a onsite interview, which laster 2 hours. The first hour was about fit and personality. That was very chill. The second hour was very technical in nature and consisted of a lot of algorithmic questions and object oriented design principles. Be prepared to code on the whiteboard and know your data structures well!

Interview Questions
    • How would you design a spreadsheet? Implement some of the code on the whiteboard   Answer Question
    Negotiation took about a day. Recruiter called me the next day after the interview to make an offer, which was lower than I expected so I made a counteroffer. She called me back to talk about the counteroffer and we settled on a number in the middle. The recruiter spoke with the hiring manager about the numbers and called again and said that I would get it.

Software Engineer Interview

Started with a 30 min phone interview then onsite meeting with about 6 different people. All one day, all on the same floor. Mostly all in the same department and everyone had reviewed my resume which was good. Some of the same questions but all relevant and I don't mind repeat questions since they were separate interviews.

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wayfair.

Step 1: Spoke with recruiter. She asked me about prior projects, technologies that I've worked with, previous salary, desired salary, etc.
    Step 2: Phone interview with Software Engineer II. He asked me four main questions. 1) What's the benefit of using a Web Service instead of SQL directly in client side code. 2) Given a singly linked list, swap the element at position k with the element k nodes from the end. 3) What are the different SQL Joins. 4) Write an SQL query. Ultimately, i didn't have enough database experience to move onto the next round.

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Wayfair in June 2014.

I had an initial phone interview followed by a Skype interview. Everyone was extremely nice and personable. Seems like a great company to work for. The interview process dragged out awhile before finding out they hired someone local. Asked standard interview wuestiond

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions about work history, experience, yourself etc. nothing that struck me as particularly difficult   Answer Question