Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.7

Logistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair.

Wayfair hiring and interview process was relatively straight forward. They have a great recruitment team who does all of the initial contacting. Resume submissions are passed through this team and they will sort candidates accordingly. They will plan interviews with your departmental leads. Typically the interview process is one interview in which they will call you if they like you or not, they do not string along candidates for them to find out they did not end up getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness? This may seem a straightforward question yet this places a lot of weight on the candidate as they do not want to appear to have a huge flaw while also trying not to sound overly arrogant.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

I was first contacted after I applied through our campus recruiting. I immediately had my first round interview and it was mainly behavioral questions, why do you want to work here, what is our company like etc... I went onto a second round the following week and spoke with the team lead for online advertising. The interview went well and I was asked to do a third round over the phone. This round had a case study feel to it and I was asked to figure out if an offer to partner with a large company was worth it based on different metrics I was given. They asked me to come into the office for a final round, but since I am from out of state, we did a Skype interview and I spoke with four different people on the team for about 30 minutes each. Two of them were behavioral and the other two were case studies again.

This is where I get frustrated. I was told that the interview went very well and I received great reviews. However, since I was the first person they interviewed they told me I would have to wait a couple of weeks for them to get back to me. I started the process the first week of January and had completed four rounds of interviews of the course of three weeks. The HR person was extremely helpful in the process, and he even checked in with me three weeks later to let me know that they were still interested in me and they were continuing the interview process. I've since emailed him twice asking about the status of the interview process and he has yet to get back to me. IT'S BEEN 1 1/2 MONTHS since I've heard from them. It's been over two months since my last interview.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

I applied at Wayfair for a Category Associate position during winter of 2014. I was then contacted by an recruiter. After a brief talk, she invited me to an in person interview at the offices in Boston. The interview was in 3 parts. There were 2 case interviews and personality questions. I thought I had done well! About a few weeks later I received a call saying that I was not a good fit for the position in particular but that I would be a good fit as a buyer and that she would set up an interview for me.

Again, I went through another phone interview, then went to their office to interview. By this time it would be around 2 months since I initially applied for the position. After the in person interview, I was told that my last step would be submitting an assignment. Again, I thought I did a great job and felt very proud of my work.

About two weeks later, I got called in to meet one of the VPs of the company. I felt honored and excited. I came in dressed professionally and prepared to present my project to her. While I presented to the VP they decided to start eating a salad (a loud and crunchy one at that!).

After a few months of interviews, visiting their office 3 times, and meeting with their VP, I was not given a job offer. I personally am relieved. The interview process felt so disorganized and moreover disrespectful. I will continue to pursue my job search where people do not eat salads while I present something I prepared hard for.

QA Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in January 2014.

Sent in a resume, and was contacted in a couple weeks about a phone interview. The phone interview was quick, and they invited me to come into the office to interview a couple days later. Arriving at the interview, I met with who would be my immediate supervisor, plus his supervisor.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy, actually. Just run-of-the mill interview questions. This was for a temp contract so they weren't really testing my intelligence or mental capacity, just trying to get a read on my attention to detail, as the position required a lot of tedious work. So yeah, just expect plenty of question highlighting computer aptitude and/or detail-oriented projects.   Answer Question
    It was a temp position so there was no room for negotiation.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

I was referred by a friend. The response was immediate since they are hiring extensively for engineers.

Initial phone round was with the HR. It was pretty simple. We walked through my resume and then she asked me the difference between inner join and outer join. Before the phone call ended, she told me that they would like me to setup technical phone round with them.

I was being considered for a Dot Net Software Engineer as well as for their bootcamp program.

The interviewer for technical phone interview(30 min) was from Dot Net team. Asked me about my experience with Dot Net, the types of projects that I had worked on. He also asked
    1) Difference between stored procedures and Functions
    2) Whether they support multiple row output
    3)What is a temp var and a temp table
    4) Where are they stored
    5) Explain MVC
    6) Asked if i knew anything about SQL tuning or DB tuning.

The technical phone round happened on a Friday, HR called me back on Sunday and informed me that I had been selected for the onsite interview.

The onsite interview had 4 interviews each 1-hour long and 2 small interviews with the HR. The ones with HR were more of an information session and not an interview.
    Most of the interviewers were friendly.
    I was asked these questions
    1) HTML code to make a table and display some date (through binding) in it.
    2) Server side(Web server and DB server) troubleshooting scenario questions.
    3) Write a function to print Fibonacci sequence for a given number
    4) Assume you have a binary number 00110010, you apply some function on it and the number changes to some random number 10100011. Write a function to determine which numbers flipped from 0 to 1 and which bits flipped from 1 to 0. (You will have to write 2 different functions for 0 to 1 and 1 to 0).
    5) Write a function to pad a given number with preceding zeros to make it a number of length 9
    6) Explain SQL Injection
    7) Explain Cross site scripting
    8) Explain indexing and pros and cons and other details
    9) Write a program to convert a given number from 1 to 999 into words, like for 532 output should be Five hundred and Thirty two. Follow up question- change the program so that it supports conversion till a huge number like 1 billion. What will you do to optimize it.
    10) Logical puzzle- 4 persons and a bridge, cross with a torch. You can google this puzzle.
    11) Some Database design questions. Given a webpage with certain fields, how will you design you DB.
    12) Logical puzzle- 2 eggs, 15 turns, 100 storey building. Determine the floor when the egg would break.
    13) What are abstract classes, how are they different from regular classes.
    14) Explain RESTful concept.
    15) Web services difference from REST.
    16) When would you use webservice and when would you use a library file?

I answered majority of the questions(80-90%) except the egg puzzle. I answered all the programming questions.
    I wasn't asked any behavioral questions.

NO OFFER!!

I am not sure what are they looking for in the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Assume you have a binary number 00110010, you apply some function on it and the number changes to some random number 10100011. Write a function to determine which numbers flipped from 0 to 1 and which bits flipped from 1 to 0. (You will have to write 2 different functions for 0 to 1 and 1 to 0).   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

Step-1: applied on 12/02/13
    Step-2: Recruiter Interviewed me and asked me those typical questions.
    Step-3: 30 mins Technical interview. Interviewr asked me same questions as mentioned on glassdoor like explain one project, one SQL queries using join, difference between interface and abstract class, etc.
    Step-4: 1hr technical interview. Explain project, number to word program,
    Step-5: 1hr technical interview. Difference between Java and python which one you would use in which situation. what happens after you type url in the browser. Interviewer seemed too interested in my capstone project ad he spent 40 mins discussing its every detail.
    Step-6: Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days and offered a job.

Interview Questions

Offer was not so good. No relocation or signing bonus benefits. It's not worth to work in downtown Boston area at this pay.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Applied at a campus career fair, they then asked us to apply again online.

Two interviews - one that was mostly behavioural and one that was mostly technical. I got two very technical people, though - so even the behavioural one wanted to talk about backend technologies and my thoughts on frameworks/etc. They haven't replied back to me, but I have friends who have done second rounds with them, so my guess is that they don't contact you back unless they like you.

Interview Questions
    • Do you keep any to-do lists/how do you keep track of your tasks?
      Walk me through your process when you start a project
      What is your view on frameworks such as codeigniter/cakephp?
        Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Applied online and then received a phone call from someone in HR a couple days later with a brief phone interview (just quick background info). Was told I would receive a phone call within a week to schedule an interview at their office however never received the call. I ended up contacting them and was able to schedule it. Had 1 interview at the office with basic personality/behavior questions (read off a sheet) and then a week later was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Wayfair in November 2013.

Applied in June, 2013. on the company website. Contacted by recruiter in October. Had an initial phone interview with the recruiter about my availability and was asked difference between inner and outer join. Next was a phone interview with software architect. he asked me about my projects, was asked to write two sql queries, fairly simple. Describe the whole process that happens when you type www.google.com. Next was two Skype interviews one with senior engineer and the other with associate director. Was asked to write a program to convert a number to words like we do on checks. Asked how I would optimize it. Performance tuning? Projects again. what is your thought process of designing a website? What security issues you will take care of(sql injection, cross site scripting, cross site request forgery). Was asked 3 puzzles because I already new the first 2. Bridge and torch puzzle.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was difficult as I was waiting for the result of other offers and they gave me a deadline to accept their offer. Their offer was good, its the average salary that SE get in that area. In the end I accepted their initial offer declining an excellent offer from my previous employer.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Wayfair in November 2013.

A few questions on OO, a few sorting complexity questions, what languages have you used, how to parse a number between 0 - 999 to a string (as if it were to be written for a check). Recruiters wanted to know about my school projects, interests and really anything about you for their cultural fit (not just CS knowledge). Really friendly!

Interview Questions
    • Was thrown off by the amount of cultural fit questions (favorite hobby, what do you do outside of CS), since I was expecting pure CS questions and maybe a few questions on my resume experience.

They get back to you exceptionally fast, so that was also pretty awesome!
        Answer Question