Wayfair Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

Step-1: applied on 12/02/13
    Step-2: Recruiter Interviewed me and asked me those typical questions.
    Step-3: 30 mins Technical interview. Interviewr asked me same questions as mentioned on glassdoor like explain one project, one SQL queries using join, difference between interface and abstract class, etc.
    Step-4: 1hr technical interview. Explain project, number to word program,
    Step-5: 1hr technical interview. Difference between Java and python which one you would use in which situation. what happens after you type url in the browser. Interviewer seemed too interested in my capstone project ad he spent 40 mins discussing its every detail.
    Step-6: Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days and offered a job.

Interview Questions

Offer was not so good. No relocation or signing bonus benefits. It's not worth to work in downtown Boston area at this pay.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in October 2013.

I had applied on the company website during last week of Sep 2013 and the HR got in touch within a week to schedule interviews. I was scheduled for 2 (45 mins each) back to back Skype video interviews with 2 Senior Software Engineers. The interviewers were good.

In the first round I was asked to talk about myself, technical background, what technologies I was comfortable with, etc. Most questions were related to my projects on the resume. I had some side projects which my interviewer was interested in. Then I had mentioned about my PHP skill on the resume so he wanted to know more about that. I told that I only had a beginner's experience with it. I was then given a link to a PHP code and was asked to walk him through the code. Since he knew my level of PHP knowledge he welcomed any questions I had regarding the keywords. I did pretty well with little help from him. They do not expect you to be fluent with any of their technologies but, want to see your thinking process. I think now the first round concluded with me asking few questions to him.

In the second round, I had more technical questions.Initially he introduced himself and talked about his team and technologies that they use. This was more like a conversation where I was asking some questions in between. Next were the tech questions. Almost all questions were here on Glassdoor. Some that are on top of my head are: How a website works, what happens when you enter a URL, DNS, some SQL commands, OOPs concepts. The next question was to convert an integer between 1-999 in words (like you write on a bank check). Had few follow up questions on this. He only wanted to know how I would go about it, didn't ask to write any code. Then again some questions on my projects and the interview concluded with me asking him a few questions.

No code writing is involved but you will have to talk about it.

The HR contacted me within 2 days after these interviews with an offer. The HR was really nice and helpful. I had other offers later but this one seemed to be the kind of work I wanted and the place I want to be in.

Interview Questions
    • 1 or 2 questions were difficult but not unexpected as they could be found on Glassdoor.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, the pay was good for a location like Boston. No relocation or housing was offered, but that is fine with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Wayfair in November 2013.

Applied in June, 2013. on the company website. Contacted by recruiter in October. Had an initial phone interview with the recruiter about my availability and was asked difference between inner and outer join. Next was a phone interview with software architect. he asked me about my projects, was asked to write two sql queries, fairly simple. Describe the whole process that happens when you type www.google.com. Next was two Skype interviews one with senior engineer and the other with associate director. Was asked to write a program to convert a number to words like we do on checks. Asked how I would optimize it. Performance tuning? Projects again. what is your thought process of designing a website? What security issues you will take care of(sql injection, cross site scripting, cross site request forgery). Was asked 3 puzzles because I already new the first 2. Bridge and torch puzzle.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was difficult as I was waiting for the result of other offers and they gave me a deadline to accept their offer. Their offer was good, its the average salary that SE get in that area. In the end I accepted their initial offer declining an excellent offer from my previous employer.

Merchandising Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Wayfair in October 2011.

After sending in my resume I got a call within two weeks to come in for an interview. They were very flexible to work around my schedule. I came in and interviewed with two people - one who would be my manager and one person from HR. The interview was basic questions about my experience and personality. They called me by the end of the week (2-3 business days) with their decision.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult or unexpected. Standard interview questions such as "What is your biggest weakness/strength"   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Applied at a campus career fair, they then asked us to apply again online.

Two interviews - one that was mostly behavioural and one that was mostly technical. I got two very technical people, though - so even the behavioural one wanted to talk about backend technologies and my thoughts on frameworks/etc. They haven't replied back to me, but I have friends who have done second rounds with them, so my guess is that they don't contact you back unless they like you.

Interview Questions
    • Do you keep any to-do lists/how do you keep track of your tasks?
      Walk me through your process when you start a project
      What is your view on frameworks such as codeigniter/cakephp?
        Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Applied online and then received a phone call from someone in HR a couple days later with a brief phone interview (just quick background info). Was told I would receive a phone call within a week to schedule an interview at their office however never received the call. I ended up contacting them and was able to schedule it. Had 1 interview at the office with basic personality/behavior questions (read off a sheet) and then a week later was offered the position.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wayfair in October 2013.

The interview process took a little over a week. I applied for the job on a Tuesday and was offered a position the next Thursday.

The process starts with a phone interview with a recruiter. Basic questions about your resume and they let you know about the company. The interview might have lasted about 20-30 minutes.

The interview was with two customer service managers. The questions were pretty basic at first while they went over my resume, after these questions, they got a bit more in depth. This interview lasted a little over an hour.

The interview was great. It felt like I was talking to two friends instead of an interview. I undid my tie during the interview and we even talked baseball.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the last one. If you were in a room with 5,000 people and they all met you. What is the one thing everyone would say about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in October 2013.

First round is a phone screen with a hr, and the second is with one sr engineer. He asked me some java questions. The last one is an on site interview with 4 engineers.

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Wayfair in January 2009.

The interview process has changed drastically since I joined.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process has changed drastically since I joined.   Answer Question

Cost Management Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

They first send an email asking for a phone interview. The interviewer first told the history of Wayfair and how they came to be. She asked a few questions. Most of them were simple but some threw me off guard.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you worked with someone who was unprofessional.   Answer Question