Wayfair Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Boston, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

It took few weeks after my application and the interview is through Skype. There were two forty minutes interview. The questions were about why choose wayfair, the basic coding question about java and sql server.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Wayfair

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was referred by a friend and then HR reached out to me. I had a phone interview with a Software Engineer and was immediately invited for an on-site interview. I was given an option to choose between two teams and I couldn't decide.So they went ahead and arranged the interview with two teams.
    Onsite interview had 4 rounds: sql, technical, design and director rounds.
    In each round two people interviewed me, each from one team.

I didn't do well in the director round and they felt my reasons to choose wayfair are not good enough.

Interview Questions

• Phone Interview: 1.Given an array where each element is repeated twice except for one element, find that element.
      2,write a sql query to sync Table A with Table B.(They are replicas but Table A missed some records).

Onsite: Sql: They checked if I knew Group By, OrderBy, Having, Intersect keywords by asking me some sql queries.
      Technical: Create strings from a nested list of level 2. eg: [[fast, slow], [brown,black],[dog,fox]] => fast brown dog, fast brown fox,slow brown dog.......(Used recursion to solve this)
      Design webcrawler
      Design: 1. Parking lot and excel spreadsheet
      Director: why wayfair?,which team would you prefer? why hire you? what value do you bring to our company?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

2 telephonic round + onsite interview- Asked about Search engine, Indexing-cursor- temp table sql question, Write program on notepad, some randon array given- to implement tree search- onsite interview for 4 hours...basic one

Interview Questions

• Asked about Search engine, Indexing-cursor- temp table sql question, Write program on notepad- some randon array given- to implement tree search- onsite interview for 4 hours...basic one   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview was two back to back Skype interviews totaling about 2 hours. The first was supposed to be cultural fit and the second technical, but they were both technical basically and required me to write code on the Codepad website where the interviewer could see it. They had me do some simple programs, and when I mentioned I had briefly looked over SQL prior to the interview they asked me to do some stuff with that, and even though I didn't do so great with it they were just looking for basic knowledge and ability to learn.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a lot of trouble making program and what you did to fix it (I couldn't think of a good "story")   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in October 2014.

Interview

Applied during college career fair, got interview 2 weeks after. The interview is by Skype, 40min + 40min, first is cultural fit and second is technical asking you to write some code. Print first 20 Fibonacci, some sql.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Started with a 30 min phone interview then onsite meeting with about 6 different people. All one day, all on the same floor. Mostly all in the same department and everyone had reviewed my resume which was good. Some of the same questions but all relevant and I don't mind repeat questions since they were separate interviews.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wayfair in March 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume at school career fair and online, and got a Skype interview within a week. The interview session was actually 2 ~45 min sessions: culture fit and technical, each with a separate interviewer.

The culture fit interview was still mostly about my previous tech experience: most difficult project, group project dynamics, etc. The culture fit interview also had a basic coding question - how to merge and sort two unordered lists.

The technical interview was a bunch of SQL queries, probably because I had SQL listed as a skill in my resume. No particular query stood out, but they did all build on each other.

Got the offer ~2 weeks after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a table that stores many companies' historical stock values and their dates, write a SQL query to return the date and company X's last stock value for each day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in December 2013.

Interview

Step-1: applied on 12/02/13
    Step-2: Recruiter Interviewed me and asked me those typical questions.
    Step-3: 30 mins Technical interview. Interviewr asked me same questions as mentioned on glassdoor like explain one project, one SQL queries using join, difference between interface and abstract class, etc.
    Step-4: 1hr technical interview. Explain project, number to word program,
    Step-5: 1hr technical interview. Difference between Java and python which one you would use in which situation. what happens after you type url in the browser. Interviewer seemed too interested in my capstone project ad he spent 40 mins discussing its every detail.
    Step-6: Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days and offered a job.

Interview Questions

Offer was not so good. No relocation or signing bonus benefits. It's not worth to work in downtown Boston area at this pay.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wayfair.

Interview

Applied at a campus career fair, they then asked us to apply again online.

Two interviews - one that was mostly behavioural and one that was mostly technical. I got two very technical people, though - so even the behavioural one wanted to talk about backend technologies and my thoughts on frameworks/etc. They haven't replied back to me, but I have friends who have done second rounds with them, so my guess is that they don't contact you back unless they like you.

Interview Questions

• Do you keep any to-do lists/how do you keep track of your tasks?
      Walk me through your process when you start a project
      What is your view on frameworks such as codeigniter/cakephp?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Wayfair (Boston, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied in June, 2013. on the company website. Contacted by recruiter in October. Had an initial phone interview with the recruiter about my availability and was asked difference between inner and outer join. Next was a phone interview with software architect. he asked me about my projects, was asked to write two sql queries, fairly simple. Describe the whole process that happens when you type www.google.com. Next was two Skype interviews one with senior engineer and the other with associate director. Was asked to write a program to convert a number to words like we do on checks. Asked how I would optimize it. Performance tuning? Projects again. what is your thought process of designing a website? What security issues you will take care of(sql injection, cross site scripting, cross site request forgery). Was asked 3 puzzles because I already new the first 2. Bridge and torch puzzle.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was difficult as I was waiting for the result of other offers and they gave me a deadline to accept their offer. Their offer was good, its the average salary that SE get in that area. In the end I accepted their initial offer declining an excellent offer from my previous employer.