Wayfair Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 10, 2014
13 interviews

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Started with a 30 min phone interview then onsite meeting with about 6 different people. All one day, all on the same floor. Mostly all in the same department and everyone had reviewed my resume which was good. Some of the same questions but all relevant and I don't mind repeat questions since they were separate interviews.

Other Interview Reviews for Wayfair

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wayfair in September 2013.

Applied online process took 5+ Weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in December 2013.

Step-1: applied on 12/02/13
    Step-2: Recruiter Interviewed me and asked me those typical questions.
    Step-3: 30 mins Technical interview. Interviewr asked me same questions as mentioned on glassdoor like explain one project, one SQL queries using join, difference between interface and abstract class, etc.
    Step-4: 1hr technical interview. Explain project, number to word program,
    Step-5: 1hr technical interview. Difference between Java and python which one you would use in which situation. what happens after you type url in the browser. Interviewer seemed too interested in my capstone project ad he spent 40 mins discussing its every detail.
    Step-6: Recruiter got back to me after 2 office days and offered a job.

Interview Questions

Offer was not so good. No relocation or signing bonus benefits. It's not worth to work in downtown Boston area at this pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Wayfair in November 2013.

Applied in June, 2013. on the company website. Contacted by recruiter in October. Had an initial phone interview with the recruiter about my availability and was asked difference between inner and outer join. Next was a phone interview with software architect. he asked me about my projects, was asked to write two sql queries, fairly simple. Describe the whole process that happens when you type www.google.com. Next was two Skype interviews one with senior engineer and the other with associate director. Was asked to write a program to convert a number to words like we do on checks. Asked how I would optimize it. Performance tuning? Projects again. what is your thought process of designing a website? What security issues you will take care of(sql injection, cross site scripting, cross site request forgery). Was asked 3 puzzles because I already new the first 2. Bridge and torch puzzle.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was difficult as I was waiting for the result of other offers and they gave me a deadline to accept their offer. Their offer was good, its the average salary that SE get in that area. In the end I accepted their initial offer declining an excellent offer from my previous employer.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Applied at a campus career fair, they then asked us to apply again online.

Two interviews - one that was mostly behavioural and one that was mostly technical. I got two very technical people, though - so even the behavioural one wanted to talk about backend technologies and my thoughts on frameworks/etc. They haven't replied back to me, but I have friends who have done second rounds with them, so my guess is that they don't contact you back unless they like you.

Interview Questions
    • Do you keep any to-do lists/how do you keep track of your tasks?
      Walk me through your process when you start a project
      What is your view on frameworks such as codeigniter/cakephp?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair in October 2013.

First round is a phone screen with a hr, and the second is with one sr engineer. He asked me some java questions. The last one is an on site interview with 4 engineers.

Anonymous Employee  in  College Park, MD
    Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Wayfair in February 2012.

This was the process for me:
    Career Fair at my university -> interview offer by email a week later -> skype interview (I live in a different state) for 2 hours the week after that -> got an offer within 6 days for $30/hr

They were really nice. Doing a skype interview was really weird and I bought a microphone for it (DO THIS IT HELPS) for about $8.

Interview Questions
    • I thought they were all okay except for one about finding all anagrams of a given word in a dictionary efficiently. They asked one about 7 coins that are the same weight and one that is heavier - and finding that one with one balance.   View Answers (2)

I got an offer form amazon the week later and getting this job was supposed to be the stepping stone to that job. But these people are pretty cool - I would have really enjoyed working with them, I think and they thought the same about me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wayfair.

Fairly standard for industry. Phone screen to judge minimum qualifications. Onsite interview meeting with a number of the current software engineers. Some interviews were with two or three interviewers at once, others were 1-on-1. Questions ranged from CS topics on data structures and algorithms to more applied questions on database and web technologies.

Interview Questions
    • How can you divide a clock face using two lines such that the numbers in each set have an equal sum?   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wayfair in April 2012.

I found the job on Craigslist. I've sent my resume via email and then the recruiter scheduled a phone interview. The interview consisted of basic questions about my skillset and why I would like to work for Wayfair.

After that the recruiter asked me three logical puzzles. A few day after they scheduled a technical interview via Skype with one of the engineers. I think this interview was only scheduled because I'm from Europe and that they would usually just call in the candidate.

The technical interview was easy, consisting of a few more puzzle questions and a few SQL questions. After the technical interview I was asked to come in for additional interviews to Boston. The interview consisted of two sessions with two engineers and was also quite easy. The first two people concentrated mostly on my past projects. These interviews also included puzzle questions.

Interview Questions
    • You can divide a clock face using two lines. How can you do it so the grouped numbers sum equally.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Wayfair in April 2012.

There was a phone interview with HR with mostly behavioral questions. I was then invited for panel interviews, first behavioral and then technical. The technical questions were mostly algorithmic and SQL based, so be sure to review your SQL syntaxes and able to answer questions in one SQL statement (i.e. looping, joins, unions, variable setting, temporary table creation, sorting, ordering).

Interview Questions

Salary offer was much below market right now. There is no flexibility on salary, or so they say.

Worked for Wayfair? Contribute to the Community!