Weather Channel

Relevance Date Difficulty

Full Stack Developer Interview

Full Stack Developer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Weather Channel in June 2014.

Interview Details – Went through a staffing agency, WC bit hard on my resume, no surprise there. The phone screen (1st interview and tech screen) went very well with team manager. I was asked specific questions and responded honestly, noting the technical areas I did not have extensive knowledge in. Standard.

Interview Question – To my dismay, the areas I told the manager I had little to no knowledge of in the tech screen over the phone formed the basis for their in-person interview questions. What was the point of this? I was grilled and raked over the coals on aspects of javascript that I had some conceptual knowledge of, but little to no dev-time experience in. That was the first big red flag, that alone was very very odd.

All of that aside for the moment, the interview questions were not especially difficult, it was the huge egos and arrogant personalities of the staff that interviewed me there that were the real letdown. They came across as having expert knowledge within an extremely limited technical focus, yet lacking comprehensive knowledge of the main language they use, in this case javascript.

I could have lived my life well without having to endure the pompous arrogance of a bullying buffoon who seemed to be filming me from his cell phone while harassing me. He repeatedly raised his voice to me as if he was angry, constantly disrupted my focus by asking one question, then following it up with a tangential question that was unrelated, then interrupted me further in order to throw me off while looking at the white board code examples. Again, what was the point of this? But that wasn't all - it gets worse - the guy actually yelled at me in the interview and claimed that "Douglas Crockford" invented javascript. OMG! I was like, you've got to be kidding me! It was so ridiculous I almost walked out on the interview. All the while I was thinking to myself "this has got to be a joke, this is not real, am I being punked?" It was that odd.

Note to the Weather Channel: "Douglas Crockford" did not invent javascript.

Interview Questions:

The interview questions were not especially difficult for a javascript dev position. They put them on a whiteboard. The first one had to do with concatenation of strings (big woohoo there), the second one was a block of Ajax code that I was asked what was wrong with it, it was a scope issue with an undeclared variable in the closure. Third question was about Sass experience. Fourth question had to do with reading CSS/HTML and then drawing a visual representation of the page on the whiteboard.

Not that big a deal, and I would have probably sailed through the interview if I hadn't been berated and badgered by the ridiculous clown hassling me. That said I'm glad I got to see what they were really like, which is why I pretended to be dumb to begin with, lol.

It goes both ways kids, when in doubt or if an interview seems a little off, just pretend you don't know anything. You'll be surprised what people show their real selves to be.

Post Mortem: I told the agency that I was no longer interested in any opportunities at the Weather Channel.
  Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at Weather Channel.

Interview Details – If they need you and you are willing to learn they will hire you on the next day. If you are good at interviewing you will get the job. It is a very informal interview for the entry level position and then more intensive for hire positions and more interviews.

Interview Question – Media knowledge if you do not have any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was unemployed so no negotiation.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Marketing Specialist

Interviewed at Weather Channel

Interview Details – The interview process was painless and the HR staff communicated quickly and efficiently.

Traffic Coordinator Interview

Traffic Coordinator
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Weather Channel in March 2010.

Interview Details – 4 different interviews with human resources, direct supervisor, and department manager, very down to earth interview

Negotiation Details – salary was already fixed, benefits are already determined

Producer Interview

Producer
Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Weather Channel in December 2013.

Interview Details – Went through three interviews with all the people I'd be working with. All very pleasant.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions, they were very up front about the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Lowball, & difficult

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Weather Channel.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. The process moved very quickly. I interviewed with multiple departments and department heads and senior management within two weeks.The recruiter provided little guidance and the guidance provided did not seem aligned with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – What did I think about an obscure mobile app.   Answer Question

Media Manager Interview

Media Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Weather Channel in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with the HR Director out of Atlanta and then met with 4 people in the NYC office. I was informed by HR to research the company and read up on the four people I would interview with. Since the position was with a newly created department there wasn't that much information out there. I reviewed their linked-in profiles and read up on the 6-7 articles written about the tool that The Weather Channel was to created. 3 out of the 4 people I met with, the interview went well. They asked my background and explained the position with more detail. One of the interviews was with this woman Amanda. She asked the most absurd questions Ive ever experienced. She even told me that the only reason why she landed this position was because the person who just got hired to be the director of the department use to work with her at another marketing firm. They both left and she ended up at JP Morgan and hated it. She even told me she wasn't really into weather and didn't understand the obsession with it.

Interview Questions

• Besides the four people you are interviewing with and the head of the department, name someone else in this department who you would like to work with.   View Answer
  • Who are our biggest competitors?   View Answer

Campaign Manager Interview

Campaign Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Weather Channel.

Interview Details – The interview was a waste of time. If you are qualified for the position but do not fit into their culture you will not be considered.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Atlanta, GA

Interview Details – Outreach from HR by phone. Flown in by HR - very nice. One day of non-stop interviews with prospective boss, VP (twice) and prospective co-workers.

Interview Question – Technical questions outside field of knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, was able to negotiate start time, salary, and benefits.

Campaign Specialist Interview

Campaign Specialist

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Weather Channel.

Interview Details – Had several calls, which finally lead to a face to face interview. The interview was your standard run of the mill intro level questionnaire the hiring person was just readying of a piece of paper. After my one time that I came in I waited a month to hear back, later finding that is at least standard practice. Finally, the phone rang and I was asking if I wanted the job.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years.   Answer Question

Worked for Weather Channel? Contribute to the Community!