Web.com Inc

www.web.com
Employer Engaged

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Web.com Inc in June 2014.

Many weeks after applying online I received a phone call from HR to set up an interview and was told that I would be meeting with a manager of the department. When I arrived in the lobby there was a woman speaking with the receptionist. I waited as they spoke and when the woman noticed me she abruptly finished the conversation and began walking away. I informed the receptionist of who I was there to speak with and she laughed and called after the woman walking away that I was apparently there to meet. Although she was clearly within an audible distance, she continued to walk away. The receptionist looked at me and said, “That was weird”.
About ten minutes later two men came out to meet me and informed me that the woman I had been expecting had called out sick. Despite being otherwise very gracious, both of the interviewers seemed nervous and inexperienced. The majority of the discussion seemed to be aimed towards convincing me that I didn't want the job (other departments hate us, creativity is limited, we take an assembly-line approach to web design, would you be comfortable sacrificing quality for quantity?). After I asked what questions I had, they pointed out that I had not asked about pay--I had always been told that you shouldn't until you were offered a job. However, they explained to me that the pay was nine dollars an hour with possibilities for incentives. I was nonplussed by such a low number, but did not show any reaction other than queries about the possibility for advancement.
    Two weeks later I received an email from HR asking that I take an editing test. The test took about an hour and I made sure to double check any uncertainties in the AP stylebook. I waited two more weeks to hear from them before calling to make sure the test had been received. The HR representative informed me that they had indeed received it and I had “failed”. I was astounded at this response and asked which section of the test I had done poorly on. He did not seem to know anything other than that I had failed. I have since asked a previous professor to look over the test and he could not find anything wrong with it.
 I am able to overlook that the manager blew me off or that the interview was likely a farce, or even that after wasting my time they did not feel the need to inform me I was no longer being considered for the job. What bothers me is that on top of all that they chose to insult my craftsmanship without any justification. I honestly cannot imagine encountering so many instances of cowardice were it not institutionalized, and that is a milieu I would never have fared well in anyway.

Interview Questions
  • Would you be comfortable sacrificing quality for quantity?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Web.com Inc

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Web.com Inc in May 2012.

I had applied various times to the particular position. Finally, weeks later, I got a phone call for an interview. It was scheduled accordingly and I arrived 5 minutes prior. The application was done online originally and then the front desk advised me I had to fill out another application. For a web consultation company, you would think they would already have the application in hand after filling it out online, but it was not the case. So I sat there filling out redundant information. After completion I then had to complete a questionnaire, which took another 15 to 20 minutes. I then had an interview with two individuals. One was quiet mostly, and the other seemed nervous. I'm not sure what that was entirely all about. We went through generic questions: "Why should we hire you?" What makes you a good fit..." Well after the interview was complete, I was given a card, and told HR would be in touch. I gave it two days and called and left a message. I waited to no avail and made another call and left a voicemail. Again, no call returned. I did this for approximately several days until I decided that a company with redundancies and the inability of the HR department to contact an interviewee about an offer or denial isn't the place I'd like to work. Especially considering the position is set up like an assembly line offering a peculiar pay structure.

To this day, I still haven't received a call or email stating the generic information about not being offered a position. Good thing I never held my breath. Essentially, the interview wasn't the problem. It was the company and HR specifically.

Interview Questions