WebMD Health

Relevance Date Difficulty

Managing Editor Interview

Managing Editor
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at WebMD Health in January 2008.

Interview Details – Met with four different people one on one. I was kinda expected to 'carry' the interview for some of them. One didnt really act 'qualified' for her own job.

Interview Question – Not a behavioral interview - mainly just went over my past experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent

Software Engineer IV Interview

Software Engineer IV
Portland, OR

The process took 1 week - interviewed at WebMD Health in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had two one-on-one non-technical interviews, which went well. I then had two two-on-one interviews. The first was technical. It was somewhat difficult, but reasonable. The second interview was I guess meant to try to understand my architecture methodology, but was done in such a way that they kept asking general questions that weren't actually answerable, and not giving any feedback on what they were getting at. It was the first time I remember feeling that the interviewers faield the interview process. Not only did I not get the job, they never got back with me.

Interview Question – Pretty in-depth SQL questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WebMD Health in August 2008.

Interview Details – It started with a phone interview with HR. The folks were very nice and willing to listen. although I did not get the job, it definitely seems like a great place to work at.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you were challenged by a difficult client and or colleague. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Email Producer Interview

Email Producer
New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at WebMD Health in January 2010.

Interview Details – I was interviewing for an email production position. I have over five years experience coding, building and deploying emails. The job looked like a perfect fit. The first step was a phone interview, which went very well. Then they asked me to come into their office where I would be meeting with two people and then take a skills test. (html). I asked the HR rep several times what the test would consist of exactly so I could be prepared. She didn't know.

When I arrived at the interview things were going very well. It seemed like a perfect fit. Then came the skills test. They asked me to replicate a jpg and code a page completely from scratch AND from memory. I had to do this on a blank notepad file. No resources, no templates - Nada. Now like I've mentioned. I have been coding emails for five years but this was ridiculous. I know html very well but I DON"T HAVE IT MEMORIZED. Anyone who could code like that would not be an email marketer, they would be building websites. To be sure I asked several colleagues if they could have done this and they all agreed they couldn't. The one colleague who could was a java script developer and he thought it was ridiculous to expect an email coder to do this.

Even still I was able to replicate the jpg somewhat but could not refine it because - well I don't have code memorized. A few days later I got an email from the hiring manager telling me that I didn't get the job because I blew the test.

Anyone they hired would either 1) be an excellent coder but have no knowledge of email marketing 2) quickly get bored because - well coding emails is just not that exciting. Sure enough a few months later the job was posted again AND i was getting phone calls from head hunters about the position.

I guess that "ace coder" that they hired didn't work out.

Aside from this - they were very nice and cordial. I just thought it was very rude to put me on the spot like that with no warning. They could have sent me the jpg in advance and said "you will have to code this from memory" then I would have been prepared.

Interview Question – Skill test that was ridiculous.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Producer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WebMD Health in March 2008.

Interview Details – The process at WebMD is very corporate. An HR rep will contact you and do a basic phone screening. If you pass muster, you will interview with the hiring manager. If you are being seriously considered for the job, they will request references and other materials relevant to the position.

Interview Question – The questions were standard and all relevant to the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get them to up their offer, but only by about 5%. They have little room to add in other perks like continuing education and extra vacation time, which was disappointing. But the salary was within my range, once I got them to up it.

Very Easy Interview

Vice President Interview

Vice President
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at WebMD Health in September 2009.

Interview Details – This was a very positive experience though it did not result in an offer. The job was posted on LinkedIn and I was contacted within days of submitting my resume. The recruiter was great and the interviewers were clear about the job description and their criteria for the position. There were hundreds of applicants for one job -- I made it as far as five interviews.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected or difficult questions, they just wanted to ascertain that my experience was strong and that I understood the corporation, its busines model, the industry and the specific goals of the position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at WebMD Health in January 2010.

Interview Details – Half hour initial call, then an in person interview with 3 people, and a skills test.
Met first with 2 other people on the tech team, that went very well, but then met with the
Director of the group, and was asked to describe I program that I'd written. I found it
very difficult to picture the program in my head or remember lines of code, and couldn't
articulate it clearly. I usually get specific technical questions, and find that much more
relevant. I was asked one technical question, but it was more of a theoretical nature and
not something you'd use everyday, so didn't do well on that either.
The skills test was good, but seemed very hastily put together, there were duplicates among
the answer selections, and the answers for some questions while correct, were something
that you'd never do in real practice, so it wasn't clear what they were really looking for.
The office was very nice, though there was a lack of meeting space, I don't know if the Director
even had an office since we had to meet in an open area. The people were extremely nice
and informal, would have been a great place to work.

Interview Question – Perl Question: What is an anonymous Hash?   View Answer

Software Engineer III Interview

Software Engineer III
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at WebMD Health in April 2009.

Interview Details – Inital phone interview with some programming puzzle kind of questions. Then Onsite interview with 4 people, each with a diffrent style. One IQ challenge puzzle, one behavioral, one technical, one "boss"/management interview.

Interview Question – What is the chance that two dogs have the same number of hairs.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for 90k, they gave it to me. Personaly I think I got the skills to back that up so seemed reasonable.

Entry-Level Web Developer Interview

Entry-Level Web Developer
Portland, OR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WebMD Health in April 2009.

Interview Details – 1) They verify that your resume is a close match to the skills and experiences to the available positions.
2) They schedule a phone interview if they deem your resume worth pursuing.
3) The phone interview lasts approximately 45 minutes.
4) They follow up with an invitation for a personal interview (or politely tell you they will keep your resume on file)
5) The face2face interview lasts 2.5 hours

Interview Questions

• Why did you chose this position?   Answer Question
  • Why do you think you fit this position?   Answer Question
  • Can you tell me about.... [items on your resume]?   Answer Question
  • They ask you to figure out what this method does:

public void search(String[] arr; String term)
    {

}

And then ask you to complete the method with appropriate code by hand.
      Answer Question
  • As you what this SQL statement does:

Select * From p.users Inner Join a.addresses Order By p.lastname
      View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at WebMD Health.

Interview Details – Basic Phone interview that your typical interview questions (ie: why would you like this position, what are your future plans, what do you know about the company...) After the phone interview, they ask you to come in and meet the hiring managers whom ask the same questions and just want to get a feel for who you are.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, no technical questions necessary.   Answer Question