Weber Shandwick

Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.9

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in January 2015.

I received an email from HR asking if I was interested in the consumer internship. Since I was out-of-state she scheduled an Skype interview with five different executives from the consumer practice. Each interview was timed at 20 minutes each and in total lasted an hour. The interview was formal and mainly focused on my internship choices, why I wanted to practice PR, and my interest in the company.

Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by email to schedule an interview which consisted of five back-to-back one-on-one interviews (about 2 hours total). A couple of days later I got an email that I had moved on to the second step of the interview process - the writing test - which I had to complete and send back. And finally, a few days after sending in my writing test, I was offered the job.

Public Relations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Weber Shandwick.

Very nice people. Applied online. HR sent me an email and I had two interviews. They asked basic questions about past experiences and it was very friendly. I met with four people and they described the job and asked what I could offer to them. Set pay so I didn't even think of negotiating.

Consumer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Weber Shandwick.

Initial resume screening, in person interview, writing test

Interview Questions
    • What is one PR or advertising campaign you've seen that you would have done differently if you had been on the team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in February 2014.

I know someone who works for Weber, so I was actually able to email my resume directly to an HR representative. I heard back about three weeks later saying that they wanted to schedule an interview. The very next day, I was there for my interview. They are quick and efficient and don't like to waste their time or yours. I met with five people during my interview, including one HR rep. The interview questions are pretty standard. However, you have to know your stuff. If you're not up to date on PR tactics, it will show. Be prepared to ask them a lot of questions and know who their clients are. I met with each person for about 15-20 minutes and then met with someone from HR. Everyone was friendly and easy to talk to. They all love their jobs and working with each other. You really have to be passionate to fit in here. A week later, they emailed me to let me know I made it onto the next round and sent me their writing test. I had 5 days to complete it. If you make it onto this round, be prepared to block out a decent amount of time for the test. It's very extensive. I submitted my test and two days later they made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite brand that you follow on social media and why?   Answer Question
    No negotiation, interns have a set pay.

Consumer PR Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in January 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted for an in-person interview shortly after. The interview was great, I met with three Digital Analytics team members one after another, and then one HR representative. Everyone was SO nice and friendly, it really made the process less stressful. About a week later, I was asked to take their Digital Analytics test. Fast-forward another week, I get an email from HR saying that the team had chosen another candidate for the digital analytics position, but thought I would be a better fit for the consumer PR internship.

I ended up going through the process all over again (interviewed with the consumer team then took their writing test). Since I had another offer on the table and let HR know, they sped up the process and I received an offer about a week after I interviewed with the consumer team!

Make sure you're knowledgable about the industry and the company. Knowing who their clients are and campaigns they've worked on will really impress them. Aside from that, the interview questions were pretty standard. There were a lot of behavioral questions, as expected.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your favorite PR campaigns?
      Which companies do you think are leveraging social media effectively?

Answer Question
    No negotiation, intern salaries are set at $12/hour

Consumer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Was contacted about coming in for an interview. The in person interview consisted of meeting with 5 people for 15 minutes each. All were general questions about the company and past experiences. If you get past the interview stage there is a very extensive writing test to follow.

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing thats not on your resume that you think could benefit you in this role.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in January 2013.

The process was very quick--a little less than 2 weeks. I sent my resume + cover letter to the designated email on the WS career site and heard back literally the next day to schedule an on-site interview (no phone screen). I was asked the standard behavioral interview questions by the program coordinator, two team members and a recruiter. They were all really great, friendly and enthusiastic about their jobs. In fact, I felt such a connection that I really didn't want to say know to the position, but I was afraid that if I would find myself in a downhill spiral if I accepted low pay (about half the hourly of a previous internship I had in corporate!).

Anywho, after the interview, I took a position-specific test (not the conventional writing test of a typical PR position).

Interview Questions
    • If you could have dinner with three people, living or dead, who would they be?   View Answer

The interviewer was upfront about pay. My baseline is generally not to accept a position that pays less than the equivalent of $30K/year. Nevertheless, I really didn't want to say no!

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in May 2011.

The interview process was fine, but they never called/emailed to tell me if I got the job.

Account Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Weber Shandwick in November 2010.

HR set up several 1:1 interviews with people who led the accounts that the position would be supporting. The questions were pretty standard - tell me about yourself, what kind of work do you like, what is your ideal work environment - but I got the impression pretty quickly that my experience wasn't a great fit for this opening, and so did the woman I was speaking with.

What was irritating about this process was that despite emailing the HR person a few days later to check on the status of my application and the opening, she never responded. Not even a "Thanks, but no thanks." She actually called me a few months later to discuss another opening, and didn't even mention the prior interview.