WeddingWire

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.5

User Experience Designer Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at WeddingWire.

I had a very pleasant call with HR, who then set up an in-person interview. When I got there, I was given a tour of the office and then was sat in an empty conference room where I waited for the first set of interviewers to come in (design leadership). They asked me a series of questions related to visual design, not much on the UX end. After that interview was over, I was interviewed by a QA analyst and project manager. The project manager helped me understand their process—the PMs do all the wireframing, flow definition and user research and then hand everything off to the UX team (which I thought was odd). I was then interviewed by a member of the engineering team, and then by the CTO, whose questions felt more like a quiz than an actual interview (asked me if i was familiar with a long list of apps, then what their function is, and how they earn revenue, for example). I received an offer within two days, which I turned down.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a 3D cube, then draw a bug in any corner. Now circle the furthest corner from the bug. Knowing that the bug can't fly, draw the shortest path between the bug and the furthest corner. How would you test the path?   Answer Question

The UX designers are not treated as UX designers—it's much more focused on visual design and light interaction design work in a distinctly waterfall process.

WeddingWire Response

Feb 10, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your interview and the process you went through. We appreciate you taking the time to interview and your interest in a position within WeddingWire. Your ... More

Sales Associate Interview

Phone Interview that lasted twenty minutes. Basic walk me through your resume and telling the interviewer a little bit about yourself. The interviewer will also ask why you chose WeddingWire and what is it about WeddingWire that interests you. Another part of the phone interview included discussing why you would be a good fit for the job. Make sure you orient your past experience to sales particularly. The next stage would be an in-person interview at the office in Bethesda.

WeddingWire Response

Feb 10, 2015Recruiter

Thank you for taking your time to leave feedback on your interview. We also appreciate your interest in a position with WeddingWire. We apologize if you had a negative interview experience because we ... More

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WeddingWire in October 2014.

Be prepared to meet with multiple managers, and have your sales skills on display! The interview process was actually very exciting, and I even got to see the job in action so I knew exactly what expectations were for a daily basis. You will fall in love with the office!

Data Scientist/Statistician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at WeddingWire in October 2014.

There was a quick phone screen, followed by an email questionnaire to assess my familiarity and skill level with marketing data. I submitted my answers promptly then didn't hear back. When I followed up it turned out they had lost my application. Maybe this was a one time thing, but it demonstrates a certain lack of organization.

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WeddingWire in September 2014.

Applied online and was contacted approx. one week later. Was provided a general overview of the job and requirements. Although I was not necessarily seeking a inside sales position, I went forward with the interview process (because you never know if another position may be offered or if it was more than initially thought. Plus, who doesn't like interview practice?). To put all in retrospect, I have been in sales for 4+ years and was just looking for new opportunities. Who wouldn't want to sell to wedding vendors?

Interviewed with 4 managers. Very quick questioning with no connection/small talk (except for 1). I quickly got the vibe that they didn't truly care about me, my past experience or how that qualifies me for the position. I could imagine them saying, "Oh great another interview..." before walking in. It all felt robotic. Like they just wanted another warm body. The questions, for the most part, were horrible. I don't understand how you can judge a person and their qualifications based on the questions I was asked.

Concluded the interview and sent follow up Thank You notes to everyone. I am surprised this company has such great ratings online based on my interview. Didn't receive an offer...which I would have turned down anyway.

Interview Questions
    • "Love to win or hate to lose?"; "If you were a car, what would you be and why?"; "If I were to call your manager, what would they say you need to work on?"; and a cliche role play.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

It is a very thorough interview process; do as much research as you can. I did an initial phone screen, did a Google Hangout with 3 managers, and a mock phone pitch. I'm not sure what they're exactly looking for - it might be sales reps with similar functions such as those from Yelp. Nonetheless, it is a tiring interview and at the end you're not even sure if you want the job - you just want the job because of how tiring it is.

I followed up with Thank You notes and even contacted currently employees via LinkedIn for insight on the company. It does seem like a company truly invested in it's employees. I was interviewing for a position in Long Beach, so I'm unsure if this regional location has the same company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Do you hate to lose or love to win? What would your manager say about you? When is a time when you didn't meet expectations? What actor/actress would star in your own movie? Now imagine that celebrity is unavailable, how can you convince them to be available for your movie? What is the title of your movie?   Answer Question

Customer Success Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WeddingWire.

I first applied to WeddingWire for a sales position on a Friday. I was contacted by email on Monday for a phone interview scheduled for Tuesday. During the phone interview, it was assessed that I was more interested in a customer success role, which had just opened up. During that phone interview I was asked standard questions about my job experience, customer service and sales. An in-person interview was scheduled for that coming Friday. I arrived Friday morning and proceeded to have 3 interviews with 2 people at a time in the Customer Success division. Everyone was extremely friendly and interested in what I had to say. They all asked about my experience and each group pinpointed different elements on my resume that were relevant to customer service. I was contacted later that day saying they had an offer for me.

Interview Questions
    • We did some sales/customer service role play.
      What is work word you would describe for excellent customer relations? (I said respect)

Answer Question
    No negotiation. They came in above what I had expected.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at WeddingWire in July 2014.

I applied online and the next day I received an email about setting a time for a 10-20 minute phone interview. The recruiter forgot about my phone interview and I had to email her to remind her that she missed our scheduled time to talk. After the phone interview, the recruiter asked that I come in the next day for an in-person interview. During the in-person interview, I interviewed with four different managers individually. Each interview was about 15-20 minutes long. Typical interview questions about my qualifications and why WeddingWire. One of the managers was very standoffish and seemed disinterested in our conversation, which was a huge turnoff for me. I was emailed the next day that after a review of my qualifications they felt my qualifications didn't match their requirements - even though my qualifications matched what one of the managers told me would be their ideal candidate. So i'm not really sure who/what they're truly looking for in their candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Two different role plays - Who would play you in a movie and why? Sell me an ad space in this magazine.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Applied online. A HR recruiter called for an initial phone screen. The questions were standard. Showing that you have done your research about the company is important. The recruiter asked me to scale 1-10 about several of my skills. The process took about 20 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at WeddingWire.

I was first contacted by their recruiter via email to come in for a group interview. We were given a tour of the office, a presentation on the company background and employee benefits for an hour, had the opportunity to shadow a Sales representative for an hour and then had three one-on-one interviews lasting 20 minutes each with a variety of team members, including the Chief of Operations. I was emailed 5 days later to be informed of their decision.

Interview Questions
    • How did your first job ever prepare you for a job in Sales at WeddingWire?   Answer Question