Wegmans Food Markets

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.8

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Applied through school. 4 weeks later, got a call for a phone interview. Did phone interview. 2 weeks later invited for an on-site panel interview. It was me versus hiring manager, prospective supervisor, and general manager all in one room. Interview was not too tedius.

Interview Questions
    • What is your view of an excellent customer service? What is renewable energy are you most passionate about.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Applied online (mid-november)

Phone Interview (first week december)-basically an in-depth look at my resume and background with some questions to get an idea of what department I would fit in. Interviewer was friendly and sounded interested even though she was obviously taking a lot of notes.

First in person(mid december)-With 2 upper management (1 HR, 1 asst store manager) was a rehashing of the first interview but they asked more questions based on every past job position and wanted to get a feel for what I had done at each job and what I was comfortable with especially when it came to working with other people, handling food, giving suggestions to people about food and what to do with it.

Have heard many people were asked to do a 2nd in person but I guess I was lucky because the next call was the offer (end of december) which led to an in person interview to go over the position specifics and set me up for the background check/drug test etc...

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to determine departments you would like to work in if you apply open ended, I mentioned bakery and they asked if I could be available to work a shift starting at 3am!   Answer Question
    Initial offer was just full time customer service but when I met in person, they told me which department it would be and how much the hourly rate would be. After some early research, I knew what to expect and they offered me about $2 more an hour than I had expected so I quickly accepted. I then did the hair-cut drug test and a routine physical at a pre-determined clinic. They also ran a background check and although I have heard there are situations where leaving jobs out of your information will lead to a discussion and possible losing of an offer, I left out a few jobs (that lasted less than 1-2 months) when I filled out the forms and they were never brought up.

Overnight Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ocean, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Ocean, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in February 2015.

I filled out an application online and received an email from them for me to call them to set up a phone interview. I had a phone interview about a week later. The phone interview mostly focused on my last jobs. She repeatedly asked how many jobs I had within the last ten years. Then she proceeded to ask about those jobs. What I did and didn't like about each job. Then when we were done with that she asked about customer service and why would I want to work there. Then she asked again about my other jobs and did I have anymore jobs that I wanted to add. Seems like all she was focused on was my previous jobs. I felt so uncomfortable and the interview process was so unfriendly and cold. It's only for a part time stock position, so I didn't understand why they make it so hard and ask about 100 questions. Their interview process is horrible. I'm not speaking for anybody else, I'm speaking from my experience. I was set up for failure from beginning to end.

Cook I Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Interview process long and drawn out. For a 14 dollar an hour job you really job through a ton of hoops. Multiple interviews in different locations, a culinary test, than a physical with a hair drug test.

Huge paycut.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

I have had three interviews, questions were a little repetitive, time-consuming interviews. Questions covered past job experiences, handling difficult employees as well as difficult supervisors. Multiple questions on providing the best customer service experience, example of a company where you had a great customer experience.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a situation in which you dealt with a difficult supervisor, what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

It was pretty simple, they asked me about myself, what i did after school and in my spare time. Most questions were customer service driven. After i passed the first interview i was told i had a second interview to be given the position.

Interview Questions
    • What other company offered excellent customer service like Wegmans   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

After the job submitting came to a close, I got my phone interview a few days later. Then I went into the store to the second interview. It was my first interview, and it was, in my opinion, bad. I should of prepared myself and read up on some of the questions so I won't need to ask them to repeat questions again.

Interview Questions
    • What does the word diversity mean to you?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in January 2015.

I applied had a phone interview then an in person interview. The whole process from application to orientation took about 5 weeks. They sent me an email saying they would like to schedule a phone interview so I did for the following week then my interviewer got sick so it took a little longer. They said they would call back if I got the job in 2-7 days, and they didn't so on the 8th day I called them asked what the status on my interview was and they called me back the next day wanting to set up an in person interview. We scheduled that for the following week then they called me a week after that and told me they would like to hire me and what the process would be like. I got my working permit (I'm 16), filled out banking info, ordered my uniform and set up a date for orientation which is 1 week from today then I'll learn the ins and outs and get scheduled from there. I would recommend being a cashier from my knowledge so far, everyone says Wegmans is a wonderful place to work. I hope you get hired!

Interview Questions
    I haven't stated yet but take the job it should be worth it

Prepared Foods Team Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in January 2015.

The hiring process was a interesting one. After applying online, a little less than a week later, I received an email saying they would like me to contact them to begin the interviewing process. The first interview was a phone interview where the usual interview questions were asked.(1hr) A few days later I got a call from the Wegmans store that i applied to, to set up the first in person interview. It was casual and the woman who i interview with was quite nice, and she gave a lot of information about the company while interviewing as if she wanted to, as the interview went on, to allow ME to gauge my personal fit in the company with the position i was applying for. As the interview came to a close, she thanked me very politely and shook my hand.(45mins-1hr) I left feeling as though i had gained as much information about the company in all as i had given her about myself. She said i would soon be contacted by the manager of the department i was applying to for another interview which was a guarantee i would have at least one more person with my name on their mind in this company.
    My FINAL interview (3 in all) was more of a get to know the department in more detail kind of situation where i got a walk through of the places i would be involved with if i was offered the job and accepted. Following this walk through there was a more casual interview where i was asked what i knew concerning the environment of my interest (prepared foods/ food safety). (30-45mins) I was told i would be contacted to either thank me for my time or with an offer.
    3 days later i was contacted and asked to submit my information for a background check which took about a week, and was offered the job soon after.

Interview Questions
    • Phone: What interested you in our company?
      What do you think you can offer to better our company?
      Describe a time you had to compromise to get the job done?
      In person#1: Pretty much all that were asked over the phone with the additional Which other areas would you be interested in in the company/ which do you have NO interest in?
      2nd: What are some things you know about food safety?
      What would you say to a customer who asks what else they might want to add to a meal?
      BIG ONES IN ALL FOR WEGMANS!!!:
      WHAT DOES EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE MEAN TO YOU?
      HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE/DEFINE DIVERSITY?

Answer Question

Cashier/Helping Hands Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in January 2015.

Got a call and did an interview over the phone. They asked questions and typed my responses into a computer. Some of the questions were pretty hard and I didn't know what to say off the cuff. The position was for a part-time helping hands position but it was pretty brutal to be honest. I don't think the questions would have been any different than if I had been applying for a management position. I was hoping they would hire me on the phone but they said they'd get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to better yourself in the positions you've held in the past?   Answer Question