Wegmans Food Markets

Updated Jan 22, 2015
Updated Jan 22, 2015

2.7

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Applied online (mid-november)

Phone Interview (first week december)-basically an in-depth look at my resume and background with some questions to get an idea of what department I would fit in. Interviewer was friendly and sounded interested even though she was obviously taking a lot of notes.

First in person(mid december)-With 2 upper management (1 HR, 1 asst store manager) was a rehashing of the first interview but they asked more questions based on every past job position and wanted to get a feel for what I had done at each job and what I was comfortable with especially when it came to working with other people, handling food, giving suggestions to people about food and what to do with it.

Have heard many people were asked to do a 2nd in person but I guess I was lucky because the next call was the offer (end of december) which led to an in person interview to go over the position specifics and set me up for the background check/drug test etc...

Interview Questions
    • They ask you to determine departments you would like to work in if you apply open ended, I mentioned bakery and they asked if I could be available to work a shift starting at 3am!   Answer Question
    Initial offer was just full time customer service but when I met in person, they told me which department it would be and how much the hourly rate would be. After some early research, I knew what to expect and they offered me about $2 more an hour than I had expected so I quickly accepted. I then did the hair-cut drug test and a routine physical at a pre-determined clinic. They also ran a background check and although I have heard there are situations where leaving jobs out of your information will lead to a discussion and possible losing of an offer, I left out a few jobs (that lasted less than 1-2 months) when I filled out the forms and they were never brought up.

Cook I Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Interview process long and drawn out. For a 14 dollar an hour job you really job through a ton of hoops. Multiple interviews in different locations, a culinary test, than a physical with a hair drug test.

Huge paycut.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

I have had three interviews, questions were a little repetitive, time-consuming interviews. Questions covered past job experiences, handling difficult employees as well as difficult supervisors. Multiple questions on providing the best customer service experience, example of a company where you had a great customer experience.

Interview Questions
    • Provide a situation in which you dealt with a difficult supervisor, what was the outcome.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

It was pretty simple, they asked me about myself, what i did after school and in my spare time. Most questions were customer service driven. After i passed the first interview i was told i had a second interview to be given the position.

Interview Questions
    • What other company offered excellent customer service like Wegmans   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

After the job submitting came to a close, I got my phone interview a few days later. Then I went into the store to the second interview. It was my first interview, and it was, in my opinion, bad. I should of prepared myself and read up on some of the questions so I won't need to ask them to repeat questions again.

Interview Questions
    • What does the word diversity mean to you?   View Answer

Cashier/Helping Hands Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in January 2015.

Got a call and did an interview over the phone. They asked questions and typed my responses into a computer. Some of the questions were pretty hard and I didn't know what to say off the cuff. The position was for a part-time helping hands position but it was pretty brutal to be honest. I don't think the questions would have been any different than if I had been applying for a management position. I was hoping they would hire me on the phone but they said they'd get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do to better yourself in the positions you've held in the past?   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

The lady was pleasant however she kept asking questions that were meant to fail me for instance why do i think my former employer would rehire me if she told him i interviewed with the company

Helping Hands (Westvale, NY) Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

I applied online and was called to set up a phone interview shortly after. I was asked what I did/didn't like about all my previous jobs, typical "What would you do in this situation...?" and some random questions too, like "What is your favorite dish from your favorite restaurant?"

I thought it went poorly but I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. This was only about 15 minutes and was more of the same, and I got a call back about a week later for yet another in-person interview. This was with the department manager and was a little bit more in depth. There were some decent questions, like "Name a safety hazard and what you'd do to prevent it?" but mostly more of the same. Question after question of irrelevant nonsense. At the end he asked me to give a final explanation as to why I should be hired over the other people. I walked out thinking it went poorly as well, but I got a call back about a week later with a job offer.

After I agreed to the terms and "accepted" my position, a background test was initiated. Now, I've made some mistakes years ago, and it is not reflective of the person I am today. I left a couple jobs off my application that I worked a month or two at many years ago. My best advice to you is be completely honest because their background check is very thorough and every job you've ever worked at will show up. I received a call a week later asking why I didn't tell them about the previous jobs, and I knew my chances were shot after that.

After all the time I spent doing countless interviews - which I already thought was completely overkill for a 15/hour a week, low paying entry-level job - I just received a letter in the mail saying that my offer was rescinded. It felt as if I was applying for a district manager position.

Interview Questions
    • Having to explain what I liked the most and least about every job I've worked at. Also, what other department I'd like to work in.   Answer Question

Entry Level Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

i had a phone interview which actually occurred about 4 minutes before the scheduled time. So heads up as they might just call a few minutes early. Not sure if this was on purpose or not but be advised nevertheless. The young lady asking the questions had my resume ready as she asked me the questions so do the same. She asked me why i added a company. It was in same line of insurance business that i had left so she accepted that line of reasoning. I was my usual funny and crarming self so i suggest being friendly and a bit funny if you can pull it off. she appreciated that and it showed my silly side which in retail comes in handy. questions are standard that you can google. i got a call one week later for a personal interview which is scheduled for this month. easy do. just be natural, don't force it. she types answers as you respond so be clear and concise so she can be exacting and capture all the goodness. good luck,

Cashier/Helping Hands Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsford, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsford, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in December 2014.

10-15mins the HR called me and asked some simply questions availability, transportation, general information about the position, and some off the wall question which lead to talking about cheesecake.. She then went on saying that someone from the front in would call in a couple days.. Currently waiting for the call.