Wegmans Food Markets

2.7

Pizza- Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in July 2014.

1st interview with hr pretty easy had a cheat cheat right infront of me 2st interview with store manager he loved me like ask me easy questions about other open positions and if id be interested and what I was do in certain situations with customers in my pasted. 3rd interview my manager for my position I applyed for, she and were not super friendly asked a lot of hard questions. And smiled a lot. I got the call a few hr after and was hired

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an issue and there was no one around and there was no guidelines on how to fix the problem?   View Answer
    None they offered me 11.20 starting

Maintenance Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Posting for the job was easy but that's because I was basically handed the position. Similar positions require a 2 page application, approval by your department manager, and excellent work history. The interview, again, was simple because of my position. For other positions I interviewed for they were very difficult. They require specific examples of situations rather than hypothetics, and if you don't have a specific example that would definitely hinder your chances to get the job. Interviews are typically conducted by 1-3 individuals, an HR rep, an area manager, and/or store manager.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were to add a department to Wegmans, what would it be and why?"   View Answer
    Zero negotiation.

Prepared Foods Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Serveral interviews- phone, with HR rep, with dept manager
    Very detailed to make sure you have the right personality for the company
    Company has high standards and they are looking for this in the interview, also that you can work well with others and catch on quickly
    If you are looking for a specific position, a strong skilled background is important and can likely help you move forward quickly

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are on your personal likes and dislikes or how you get along with others   Answer Question

Dishwasher In Prepared Foods Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in June 2014.

I applied online for a job at the East Avenue location the day the job listing was posted, which was a Wednesday evening. I initially found the posting on indeed while seeking employment at various places. I was very excited when I received an email two days later, on Friday, from the Human Resources Department stating that they would like to include me in the interview process and that I should contact one of their representatives by either email or calling the store directly. I responded that night with an email thanking them for the opportunity, giving my availability and asking when the best time to schedule my interview would be.

I was extremely happy as Wegmans is a company I respect greatly, in fact it's probably one of my favorites. I immediately began to research as much as I could about the company and their interview process, but I did not hear back from them until the next Tuesday. The reply from HR I received was short, but to the point. They told me they "wanted to schedule a PHONE interview" and listed three times I could choose from. Interpret the tone of that email however you wish...

At that point I scheduled my interview for the following day and (continued) to study as much as I could about the types of questions they were going to ask. I spent several days straight doing nothing but trying to get prepared for the interview, even disregarding class activities (I was in high school at the time) to look up scenarios and potential questions on my smartphone.

The day the interview came I was nervous, but felt I had prepared enough. The woman who called me was very polite and seemed welcoming. She began the interview by simply going over the application I sent them online, just making sure that everything was accurate. After this basic overview, she moved on to a few questions about my work history, of which I had none. She then moved on to school and future educational plans.

Once we were finished with that part, she began to ask me some tougher, or maybe I should say more in depth questions, such as...

"Why should I hire you?"

"How would you deal with an angry customer?"

"Are there any departments other than the one that you applied for that you would NOT want to work for? Why?"

"What is your expected salary? A set dollar amount?"

"Explain what diversity means to you."

"Name three qualities a former employer or teacher would use to describe you."

"Name a company that you think displays excellent customer service, other than Wegmans?"

"Describe a time you were part of a team. What was your contribution?"

Many of these I was prepared for, but several others tripped me up as I had not seen them online. I gave my best, honest answer to every single one of them, hoping to redeem myself, but I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn't liking what I was telling her. The response I was getting to my answers went from "great" and "perfect" to simply "okay" by the end of the interview process. I asked her a few questions at the end and she finished off by giving me the dreaded "thanks, but no thanks" statement. She told me... "The interview process is now over. Now we are looking at a few more candidates, but hopefully you'll hear back from us within a week or so. Thank you."

I pretty much immediately counted this one as a loss and began looking elsewhere for employment. My intuition was justified when exactly a week later I received an email from HR saying that they appreciated my time and interest, but that they would no longer be considering my application.

Overall my experience was mostly positive. There were a few communication issues at the beginning of the process, but the interview was very professional. I regret that they chose someone else over me, but I respect that decision as I probably did not sell myself as well as I should have. Those of you who are considering Wegmans, I say go for it. They are a great company and I think their reputation speaks for itself, just be prepared for a very thorough process that could pull many surprises and will have many detailed steps.

Interview Questions
    • "If I were to call your Math teacher, what would he/she say about your work ethic?"   View Answer

Deli Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmira, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmira, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

I submitted an application and resume to their online site and got a call within a couple days for a telephone interview. At the end of that interview, I scheduled an appointment for an in-person interview later that week. I ended up also having an interview with my then future supervisor for the position I was applying for. I got a job offer a few days later. However, it took almost a month for me to finally start working because the head office (Rochester, NY) was really back-logged on processing background checks. It was definitely worth the wait, though.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a disagreement with a past boss and how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • If you saw a fellow employee stealing how would you handle it? Would you talk to them one-on-one, report it to your supervisor, to the store manager, or someone else?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Bakery Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in June 2014.

Applied online, got a call the same day to set up a phone interview. Asked me a few unexpected questions, but he mostly just repeated the questions on the application and asked me about my resume. Took about fifteen to twenty minutes.

Meat/Dairy/Frozen Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

The only process i got to was the phone interview. I was asked why i wanted to work for wegmans and what i had to offer. They also asked some other strange questions like what my favorite food was or what type of dish do i order at a restraunt.

Bloog Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

They hire from within first. Good to know someone but not a guarantee of getting in. Best to start at the store level and work up if you are seeking a corporate position.

Interview Questions
    • My experience was unique as I worked at a local weekly paper years ago and wrote a cover story that was distributed companywide. I am convinced it propelled my resume to the top of the heap. So didn't face difficult questions. Perhaps it's "Are you willing to relocate" as they are on a 3 store opening schedule mainly on the East coast.   View Answer
    There was none. I lost 2 weeks of vacation time accepting the position of Copywriter over the phone in 1997.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

The interview processes consisted of about 2.5 interviews. First, there was a phone call from their HR rep. She asked me a few general questions about my availability and interest in the position, and then we set up a time for a more formal phone interview. This phone interview happened about two days later. I called her and she asked me detailed questions about my work experience and asked me questions about working with others and past experiences, etc. At the end, she set up a formal in-person interview with the manager of the store I was applying to.
    That interview was very easy and only lasted about 10-15 minutes. She asked me questions about my availability and my ability to work with customers and operate a register. I was offered the job on the spot.
    I would suggest wearing something "business casual" to the interview. Not a dress or a full suit and tie, but rather dress pants and a nice shirt, or a skirt with tights and a nice shirt. Definitely no yoga leggings, girls- this a formal interview. I wore black dress pants, a silk shirt, and a cardigan.

She offered me 9.25 and I accepted-- it is a great pay rate

Entry Level Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets.

Applied online. Got a phone call within a day to set up a phone interview for the following week. Within a day of that got a call to set up an in person interview.

Phone interview covered the same ground as the online application. It took about a half hour.

In person interview was conducted by two people; one who asked the questions and one who wrote down the answer. These were typical retail management questions. How would you describe your management style? What would you say are your three strongest qualities? How would you handle an employee who is not performing to expectations? This interview lasted 50 minutes.

Was told I would here within 2-3 weeks about next step. Received a generic no thanks e-mail three weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed to complete a task and how did you handle it.

For me this was the most difficult question because I came from a background of you had to get the task done. Even if that meant working crazy hours you got the task done.

Answer Question