Wegmans Food Markets Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.8

Store Team Leader Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in October 2014.

Interview

Met with the Store Manager, Assistant Manager and HR Manager; took about an hour. Started with the physical and schedule requirements then moved on to the situational questions. Examples: What do you find most frustrating about managing people? Describe a situation where you used your strengths to make a change. Describe a time that you made an exception for a guest and then it became a rule. Describe a time that you had to think on your feet with out the proper resources to deal with a situation.

Meat Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Wilkes-Barre, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview was very professional and ran smoothly. My first interview was with an human resources manager and she asked very general interview questions. My second interview was with the department manger and he asked interview questions that were more related to the job position I was looking to get.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Fairfax, VA).

Interview

About a week after submitting my application online, I received an email asking for a phone interview. My phone interview went pretty well in my opinion, and the questions I was asked were the same questions other people applying for this position were asked. I was prepared for all of them because I did my research online and prepared my answers. I sent a thank you email and a few days later the lady called me back asking me to clarify my availability, so I gave her my school schedule (I'm in college) and told her when I could work. She said that working around my schedule would be no problem and gave me the impression that I had a good chance of getting hired. She told me that I would hear back within a week, but after over two weeks passed I received an email saying that I was not getting hired.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were expected because I researched what they would ask   1 Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nazareth, PA

Interview

Have work at wegmans before am willing to work there again am very willing to go out of my way for customer will work up to 12 hrs in one day to help out if needed willing to be there bright & early willing to start 1 hr early will be there early & presentable

Interview Questions

• Am able to work register with no problems will go & do other depts   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online to a few different stores and got a call back a few days later to set up a phone interview for the next day. The HR rep called exactly when she said she would and we started the interview. We went over everything that was in the application first, like avalibility and yes and no questions. Then she asked a few interview questions like "What does outstanding customer service mean to you?", "What is a new product you have discovered lately that interests you and why?", " What is your favorite restaurant and food?". Then we went through every job I have had... She wanted to know what the job consisted of, why I left, and what I liked and disliked about the job. Also, she asked about a time where I was unemployed for a few months. She asked which stores i am interested in working at, and she noticed there was a Create-a-cake position available in the store that is my first preference so she asked if i was interested in that. Once the questions were done we set up an in person interview for that store and position.

The 2nd interview was the hardest I think because it was just questions and me answering. She gave no feedback and showed no reactions so that made me more nervous. It was about 10 questions, maybe a little more. Questions from the phone interview were repeated though, which was nice. She said I'd hear back in a week or two.

1 week later I got a call to set up the final interview. The final interview was with a different hr person and the bakery manager. Some questions were repeated again. Maybe 10 questions asked between the two. The atmosphere was much more relaxed which helped me feel more comfortable with my answers. Questions were pretty easy... Asked about food safety, asked about knives (they wanted to know if I knew how to chop.. Dice.. Etc), they asked about my previous jobs briefly. They said they had more interviews that day and the next, and I should hear back Monday.

Heard back the next day and was offered the job at $9.25 starting, with raises twice a year. They have to do a background check which will take 5-6 days.

Helping Hand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clay, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets (Clay, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Soon after applying, I received a call from a recruiter whom I had a phone interview with a day later. The phone interview consisted of many situational questions relating to customer service such as:

"What does diversity mean to you?"

"How would you provide great customer service?"

"If I were to call your math teacher, what would he or she say regarding your strengths?

"How would you deal with an angry customer?"

"Describe a time when you worked as a team."

"Name a company that you think displays excellent customer service, other than Wegmans?"

"Why should I hire you?"

A few odd ball questions were also asked to gauge my enthusiasm for food, as in:

"Here at Wegmans we are food enthusiasts. Tell me about a new ingredient or dish you would recommend to customers.

Aside from those questions, the phone interview consisted of asking about my prior work history and availability I had chosen as well as going into the responsibilities I would assume as a Helping Hand.

Immediately upon the conclusion of the phone interview, I was given a date for my first interview, and that interview was with the recruiter I had interviewed with. The first interview focused mainly on STAR questions rather than situational questions related to the position I had applied for. I found that I had an easier time with the first interview as it consisted of less questions and more about how I would be a good asset to the Wegmans team.

The second interview was with the Employee Representative and one of the frond end coordinators. That interview was to clarify what I had said in the first interview and went more in-depth with regards to the responsibilities I would be assuming as a Helping Hand. The questions were not all that difficult I would say and were basically redundancies of questions I had been asked during the phone interview and the first interview.

Three days after the second interview, I was given an offer from the recruiter I had done the phone and first interviews with and accepted the offer. I submitted the necessary information to complete the background check within the allotted time frame, and heard back two days later and completed a bunch of paper work over the Taleo portal Wegmans uses.

Orientation was two days later, and that consists of a bunch of videos, additional paperwork, a store tour, and goodies. Luckily for me, orientation consisted of only four others aside from me and the recruiter.

If you smile and show you're willing to work with a dose of confidence, you likely won't have to jeopardize your man card to get hired.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about recommending something to a customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. You take what they give you.

Intern Interview

Interview

excellent communication, very friendly atmosphere. Also it was a very nice location outside the city limits. All management is very friendly and accommodating to changes in schedule. Alot of benefits such as a restaurant on site.

Interview Questions

• All interview questions would very simple and easily responded too.   Answer Question

Customer Service - Prepared Foods Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in August 2014.

Interview

2 interviews before being offered a position in prepared foods; actually, the first was a phone interview to verify my availability and customer service types of questions regarding a cashier position; in a day or two, I received an appt. For an in-person interview the following week. The in-person interview was thorough and focused on my availability, customer service experience and culinary skills. I was appreciative of the fact that as I admitted my culinary skills were rudimentary, the interviewers skipped over the remainder of the culinary skill questions. I also appreciated the overall friendliness of the HR manager's asst. and the Prepared Foods Manager. This really helped me be more at ease.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your knife skills and knowledge.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Pay rate of $9.35/hour with periodic raises explained.

Front End Cashier Interview

Interview

There first was a phone interview with a recruiter and then there were multiple in person interviews. I had a total of up to four as I was to be introduced to various managers in the communities.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Wegmans Food Markets in July 2014.

Interview

I applied at Wegmans and the process took about 1+ weeks. I applied online and got a call from a hr rep about 2 days after I applied. We set up a phone interview. When she called for the phone interview the questions were pretty simple. She asked me about my availability and usual interview questions. The next day she called back and we set up a in person interview which i'm now waiting on.