Wegmans Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2014
140 interviews

2.7

Intern Interview

excellent communication, very friendly atmosphere. Also it was a very nice location outside the city limits. All management is very friendly and accommodating to changes in schedule. Alot of benefits such as a restaurant on site.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions would very simple and easily responded too.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Wegmans in July 2014.

I applied at Wegmans and the process took about 1+ weeks. I applied online and got a call from a hr rep about 2 days after I applied. We set up a phone interview. When she called for the phone interview the questions were pretty simple. She asked me about my availability and usual interview questions. The next day she called back and we set up a in person interview which i'm now waiting on.

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Collegeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wegmans in March 2014.

While the interview process was as arduous and challenging as you will find for just about any retail job, the human resource reps at Wegmans are very kind and caring. You need to go through a phone interview with an employee rep, followed by a live interview with another employee rep, and finally a live interview with your department manager before being hired.

Interview Questions
    • At Wegmans,we are food enthusiasts. Tell us what your favorite food is.   View Answer

Bakery Customer Service Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wegmans in June 2014.

Applied online, got a call the same day to set up a phone interview. Asked me a few unexpected questions, but he mostly just repeated the questions on the application and asked me about my resume. Took about fifteen to twenty minutes.

Pizza- Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Collegeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wegmans in July 2014.

1st interview with hr pretty easy had a cheat cheat right infront of me 2st interview with store manager he loved me like ask me easy questions about other open positions and if id be interested and what I was do in certain situations with customers in my pasted. 3rd interview my manager for my position I applyed for, she and were not super friendly asked a lot of hard questions. And smiled a lot. I got the call a few hr after and was hired

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an issue and there was no one around and there was no guidelines on how to fix the problem?   View Answer
    None they offered me 11.20 starting

Front End Cashier Interview

There first was a phone interview with a recruiter and then there were multiple in person interviews. I had a total of up to four as I was to be introduced to various managers in the communities.

Maintenance Coordinator Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wegmans.

Posting for the job was easy but that's because I was basically handed the position. Similar positions require a 2 page application, approval by your department manager, and excellent work history. The interview, again, was simple because of my position. For other positions I interviewed for they were very difficult. They require specific examples of situations rather than hypothetics, and if you don't have a specific example that would definitely hinder your chances to get the job. Interviews are typically conducted by 1-3 individuals, an HR rep, an area manager, and/or store manager.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were to add a department to Wegmans, what would it be and why?"   View Answer
    Zero negotiation.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Montgomeryville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montgomeryville, PA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Wegmans in June 2013.

I had 2 interviews. The first was with a recruiter and the second was with the front end manager. I was going to be a cashier and thought it went well. Questions were fairly simple. One interview was one day and the second was the following morning. Took about a week or two until I heard back.

Interview Questions
    • Can you name our 5 'Who We Are' values and pick the one that most represents you?   Answer Question
    There was no real negotiations. They offered what I asked during the interview.

Dishwasher In Prepared Foods Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wegmans in June 2014.

I applied online for a job at the East Avenue location the day the job listing was posted, which was a Wednesday evening. I initially found the posting on indeed while seeking employment at various places. I was very excited when I received an email two days later, on Friday, from the Human Resources Department stating that they would like to include me in the interview process and that I should contact one of their representatives by either email or calling the store directly. I responded that night with an email thanking them for the opportunity, giving my availability and asking when the best time to schedule my interview would be.

I was extremely happy as Wegmans is a company I respect greatly, in fact it's probably one of my favorites. I immediately began to research as much as I could about the company and their interview process, but I did not hear back from them until the next Tuesday. The reply from HR I received was short, but to the point. They told me they "wanted to schedule a PHONE interview" and listed three times I could choose from. Interpret the tone of that email however you wish...

At that point I scheduled my interview for the following day and (continued) to study as much as I could about the types of questions they were going to ask. I spent several days straight doing nothing but trying to get prepared for the interview, even disregarding class activities (I was in high school at the time) to look up scenarios and potential questions on my smartphone.

The day the interview came I was nervous, but felt I had prepared enough. The woman who called me was very polite and seemed welcoming. She began the interview by simply going over the application I sent them online, just making sure that everything was accurate. After this basic overview, she moved on to a few questions about my work history, of which I had none. She then moved on to school and future educational plans.

Once we were finished with that part, she began to ask me some tougher, or maybe I should say more in depth questions, such as...

"Why should I hire you?"

"How would you deal with an angry customer?"

"Are there any departments other than the one that you applied for that you would NOT want to work for? Why?"

"What is your expected salary? A set dollar amount?"

"Explain what diversity means to you."

"Name three qualities a former employer or teacher would use to describe you."

"Name a company that you think displays excellent customer service, other than Wegmans?"

"Describe a time you were part of a team. What was your contribution?"

Many of these I was prepared for, but several others tripped me up as I had not seen them online. I gave my best, honest answer to every single one of them, hoping to redeem myself, but I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn't liking what I was telling her. The response I was getting to my answers went from "great" and "perfect" to simply "okay" by the end of the interview process. I asked her a few questions at the end and she finished off by giving me the dreaded "thanks, but no thanks" statement. She told me... "The interview process is now over. Now we are looking at a few more candidates, but hopefully you'll hear back from us within a week or so. Thank you."

I pretty much immediately counted this one as a loss and began looking elsewhere for employment. My intuition was justified when exactly a week later I received an email from HR saying that they appreciated my time and interest, but that they would no longer be considering my application.

Overall my experience was mostly positive. There were a few communication issues at the beginning of the process, but the interview was very professional. I regret that they chose someone else over me, but I respect that decision as I probably did not sell myself as well as I should have. Those of you who are considering Wegmans, I say go for it. They are a great company and I think their reputation speaks for itself, just be prepared for a very thorough process that could pull many surprises and will have many detailed steps.

Interview Questions
    • "If I were to call your Math teacher, what would he/she say about your work ethic?"   View Answer

Prepared Foods Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Wegmans.

Serveral interviews- phone, with HR rep, with dept manager
    Very detailed to make sure you have the right personality for the company
    Company has high standards and they are looking for this in the interview, also that you can work well with others and catch on quickly
    If you are looking for a specific position, a strong skilled background is important and can likely help you move forward quickly

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are on your personal likes and dislikes or how you get along with others   Answer Question

Worked for Wegmans? Contribute to the Community!