Wegmans

2.7

Helping Hand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clay, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clay, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans in September 2014.

Soon after applying, I received a call from a recruiter whom I had a phone interview with a day later. The phone interview consisted of many situational questions relating to customer service such as:

"What does diversity mean to you?"

"How would you provide great customer service?"

"If I were to call your math teacher, what would he or she say regarding your strengths?

"How would you deal with an angry customer?"

"Describe a time when you worked as a team."

"Name a company that you think displays excellent customer service, other than Wegmans?"

"Why should I hire you?"

A few odd ball questions were also asked to gauge my enthusiasm for food, as in:

"Here at Wegmans we are food enthusiasts. Tell me about a new ingredient or dish you would recommend to customers.

Aside from those questions, the phone interview consisted of asking about my prior work history and availability I had chosen as well as going into the responsibilities I would assume as a Helping Hand.

Immediately upon the conclusion of the phone interview, I was given a date for my first interview, and that interview was with the recruiter I had interviewed with. The first interview focused mainly on STAR questions rather than situational questions related to the position I had applied for. I found that I had an easier time with the first interview as it consisted of less questions and more about how I would be a good asset to the Wegmans team.

The second interview was with the Employee Representative and one of the frond end coordinators. That interview was to clarify what I had said in the first interview and went more in-depth with regards to the responsibilities I would be assuming as a Helping Hand. The questions were not all that difficult I would say and were basically redundancies of questions I had been asked during the phone interview and the first interview.

Three days after the second interview, I was given an offer from the recruiter I had done the phone and first interviews with and accepted the offer. I submitted the necessary information to complete the background check within the allotted time frame, and heard back two days later and completed a bunch of paper work over the Taleo portal Wegmans uses.

Orientation was two days later, and that consists of a bunch of videos, additional paperwork, a store tour, and goodies. Luckily for me, orientation consisted of only four others aside from me and the recruiter.

If you smile and show you're willing to work with a dose of confidence, you likely won't have to jeopardize your man card to get hired.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about recommending something to a customer?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. You take what they give you.

Intern Interview

excellent communication, very friendly atmosphere. Also it was a very nice location outside the city limits. All management is very friendly and accommodating to changes in schedule. Alot of benefits such as a restaurant on site.

Interview Questions
    • All interview questions would very simple and easily responded too.   Answer Question

Customer Service - Prepared Foods Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Wegmans in August 2014.

2 interviews before being offered a position in prepared foods; actually, the first was a phone interview to verify my availability and customer service types of questions regarding a cashier position; in a day or two, I received an appt. For an in-person interview the following week. The in-person interview was thorough and focused on my availability, customer service experience and culinary skills. I was appreciative of the fact that as I admitted my culinary skills were rudimentary, the interviewers skipped over the remainder of the culinary skill questions. I also appreciated the overall friendliness of the HR manager's asst. and the Prepared Foods Manager. This really helped me be more at ease.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about your knife skills and knowledge.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Pay rate of $9.35/hour with periodic raises explained.

Front End Cashier Interview

There first was a phone interview with a recruiter and then there were multiple in person interviews. I had a total of up to four as I was to be introduced to various managers in the communities.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wegmans in July 2014.

I applied at Wegmans and the process took about 1+ weeks. I applied online and got a call from a hr rep about 2 days after I applied. We set up a phone interview. When she called for the phone interview the questions were pretty simple. She asked me about my availability and usual interview questions. The next day she called back and we set up a in person interview which i'm now waiting on.

Pizza- Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Collegeville, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans in July 2014.

1st interview with hr pretty easy had a cheat cheat right infront of me 2st interview with store manager he loved me like ask me easy questions about other open positions and if id be interested and what I was do in certain situations with customers in my pasted. 3rd interview my manager for my position I applyed for, she and were not super friendly asked a lot of hard questions. And smiled a lot. I got the call a few hr after and was hired

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had an issue and there was no one around and there was no guidelines on how to fix the problem?   View Answer
    None they offered me 11.20 starting

Maintenance Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans.

Posting for the job was easy but that's because I was basically handed the position. Similar positions require a 2 page application, approval by your department manager, and excellent work history. The interview, again, was simple because of my position. For other positions I interviewed for they were very difficult. They require specific examples of situations rather than hypothetics, and if you don't have a specific example that would definitely hinder your chances to get the job. Interviews are typically conducted by 1-3 individuals, an HR rep, an area manager, and/or store manager.

Interview Questions
    • "If you were to add a department to Wegmans, what would it be and why?"   View Answer
    Zero negotiation.

Prepared Foods Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wegmans.

Serveral interviews- phone, with HR rep, with dept manager
    Very detailed to make sure you have the right personality for the company
    Company has high standards and they are looking for this in the interview, also that you can work well with others and catch on quickly
    If you are looking for a specific position, a strong skilled background is important and can likely help you move forward quickly

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are on your personal likes and dislikes or how you get along with others   Answer Question

Dishwasher In Prepared Foods Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wegmans in June 2014.

I applied online for a job at the East Avenue location the day the job listing was posted, which was a Wednesday evening. I initially found the posting on indeed while seeking employment at various places. I was very excited when I received an email two days later, on Friday, from the Human Resources Department stating that they would like to include me in the interview process and that I should contact one of their representatives by either email or calling the store directly. I responded that night with an email thanking them for the opportunity, giving my availability and asking when the best time to schedule my interview would be.

I was extremely happy as Wegmans is a company I respect greatly, in fact it's probably one of my favorites. I immediately began to research as much as I could about the company and their interview process, but I did not hear back from them until the next Tuesday. The reply from HR I received was short, but to the point. They told me they "wanted to schedule a PHONE interview" and listed three times I could choose from. Interpret the tone of that email however you wish...

At that point I scheduled my interview for the following day and (continued) to study as much as I could about the types of questions they were going to ask. I spent several days straight doing nothing but trying to get prepared for the interview, even disregarding class activities (I was in high school at the time) to look up scenarios and potential questions on my smartphone.

The day the interview came I was nervous, but felt I had prepared enough. The woman who called me was very polite and seemed welcoming. She began the interview by simply going over the application I sent them online, just making sure that everything was accurate. After this basic overview, she moved on to a few questions about my work history, of which I had none. She then moved on to school and future educational plans.

Once we were finished with that part, she began to ask me some tougher, or maybe I should say more in depth questions, such as...

"Why should I hire you?"

"How would you deal with an angry customer?"

"Are there any departments other than the one that you applied for that you would NOT want to work for? Why?"

"What is your expected salary? A set dollar amount?"

"Explain what diversity means to you."

"Name three qualities a former employer or teacher would use to describe you."

"Describe a time you were part of a team. What was your contribution?"

Many of these I was prepared for, but several others tripped me up as I had not seen them online. I gave my best, honest answer to every single one of them, hoping to redeem myself, but I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn't liking what I was telling her. The response I was getting to my answers went from "great" and "perfect" to simply "okay" by the end of the interview process. I asked her a few questions at the end and she finished off by giving me the dreaded "thanks, but no thanks" statement. She told me... "The interview process is now over. Now we are looking at a few more candidates, but hopefully you'll hear back from us within a week or so. Thank you."

I pretty much immediately counted this one as a loss and began looking elsewhere for employment. My intuition was justified when exactly a week later I received an email from HR saying that they appreciated my time and interest, but that they would no longer be considering my application.

Overall my experience was mostly positive. There were a few communication issues at the beginning of the process, but the interview was very professional. I regret that they chose someone else over me, but I respect that decision as I probably did not sell myself as well as I should have. Those of you who are considering Wegmans, I say go for it. They are a great company and I think their reputation speaks for itself, just be prepared for a very thorough process that could pull many surprises and will have many detailed steps.

Interview Questions
    • "If I were to call your Math teacher, what would he/she say about your work ethic?"   View Answer

Deli Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmira, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmira, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wegmans.

I submitted an application and resume to their online site and got a call within a couple days for a telephone interview. At the end of that interview, I scheduled an appointment for an in-person interview later that week. I ended up also having an interview with my then future supervisor for the position I was applying for. I got a job offer a few days later. However, it took almost a month for me to finally start working because the head office (Rochester, NY) was really back-logged on processing background checks. It was definitely worth the wait, though.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had a disagreement with a past boss and how you handled it and what the outcome was.   Answer Question
    • If you saw a fellow employee stealing how would you handle it? Would you talk to them one-on-one, report it to your supervisor, to the store manager, or someone else?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation