Weidner Apartment Homes

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Interior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kirkland, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in July 2011.

My first interview with this company went spectacularly. I really felt that I clicked with the current designer and felt positive that we would make a great design team. The company was asking for someone with 1-2 years design experience and I had three years. I was the perfect fit. The job description included 30% travel time. I wasn't thrilled about that aspect, due to being a mother of a toddler. But, I was excited about the opportunity to see all the job sites and participate in designs in different regions.

After the interview, I was asked to do a background check and drug test. I found this odd of a company to ask with a degree-required position, but was willing to do what it takes (and seeing as I have no interest in drugs and a clean background, I had no concerns). I took the tests and was called back in for another interview with the owner and his wife. I was told the owner was a great guy, so I looked forward to meeting him.

I could not disagree more with this man being "great". He immediately stated "not much experience, huh? What have you been doing?" Ouch! I am very proud of the experience that I have and have only held high level positions from the day of my college graduation. Nothing to shy away from! Sure, I had taken some time off to be a mom- but really, is that detrimental to my previous experience and education? I am a skilled designer and proudly showed my portfolio. I felt as though I was under a magnifying glass. They were clearly not impressed, and I was not sure what I had done wrong, other than not be the person they had imagined.

I was turned down due to my experience level and the fact that they didn't think I would want to travel that much, seeing as I had a young child. WHAT? I followed up with a letter requesting that they reconsider, that I felt this was a job worth fighting for. I had MORE experience than the ad stated.

Shortly after, the job was re-listed with SEVEN years experience, and 50% travel. Apparently, they have interviewed several people who have ALMOST gotten the job. So not worth jumping through their hoops.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were very general. Such as: Have you ever dealt with someone that was difficult to work with, and how did you handle it?   View Answer