Weidner Apartment Homes

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes.

Interview Details – Got there through the MIT program.

Interview Question – I don't remember.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered me a lateral move, but the number on the offer was actually less than what I was making. I hated my job at the time, so I negotiated up to a truly lateral move, and then accepted.

Very Difficult Interview

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied via LinkedIn and heard back right away. Hiring manager was responsive and friendly. They sent me an essay style questionnaire to fill out and return. Phone and live interview were based off of my resume and that questionnaire. Both were scheduled at convenient times for me. Very comfortable process. I felt valued and respected.

Interview Question – Explain a recent set-back   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy, but salary is set. They require a college degree for this program, but will not pay any more for experience or additional education.

Housekeeper Interview

Steamboat Springs, CO

I applied online - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in December 2012.

Interview Details – This was one of the most easygoing interviews I've ever experienced. We spent a fourth of the time discussing our mutual favorite author. I was offered the MIT position instead of housekeeping when my interviewer had decided that I had more than enough experience to move up in the company. I left the office ecstatic that she had accurately assessed my résumé and potential. Unfortunately, weidner was not willing to start me in the MIT position without my having a Bachelors degree, but I was offered the housekeeping position until they could find an opening in leasing for me.

Interview Question – You can ace your interview if you have read up on Weidner culture and their values. It's all listed on their website. Nothing was out of left field.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent. Actually, my interviewer agreed upon a wage that was slightly higher than what they decided to have me. When I commented on this I was told that it was already approved and not negotiable. It wasn't a huge discrepancy, but it did bother me a little bit.

Manager In Training Interview

Manager In Training
Tempe, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in March 2012.

Interview Details – I received a phone interview initially and was invited to come in for an in-person interview. Interviewed at one of the properties. Relatively straightforward process. More like a conversation than a strict interview. The interviewers were laid back and honest about the position requirements. They were friendly, inviting, and seemed genuinely interested and excited to talk.

Interview Questions

Interior Designer Interview

Kirkland, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in July 2011.

Interview Details – My first interview with this company went spectacularly. I really felt that I clicked with the current designer and felt positive that we would make a great design team. The company was asking for someone with 1-2 years design experience and I had three years. I was the perfect fit. The job description included 30% travel time. I wasn't thrilled about that aspect, due to being a mother of a toddler. But, I was excited about the opportunity to see all the job sites and participate in designs in different regions.

After the interview, I was asked to do a background check and drug test. I found this odd of a company to ask with a degree-required position, but was willing to do what it takes (and seeing as I have no interest in drugs and a clean background, I had no concerns). I took the tests and was called back in for another interview with the owner and his wife. I was told the owner was a great guy, so I looked forward to meeting him.

I could not disagree more with this man being "great". He immediately stated "not much experience, huh? What have you been doing?" Ouch! I am very proud of the experience that I have and have only held high level positions from the day of my college graduation. Nothing to shy away from! Sure, I had taken some time off to be a mom- but really, is that detrimental to my previous experience and education? I am a skilled designer and proudly showed my portfolio. I felt as though I was under a magnifying glass. They were clearly not impressed, and I was not sure what I had done wrong, other than not be the person they had imagined.

I was turned down due to my experience level and the fact that they didn't think I would want to travel that much, seeing as I had a young child. WHAT? I followed up with a letter requesting that they reconsider, that I felt this was a job worth fighting for. I had MORE experience than the ad stated.

Shortly after, the job was re-listed with SEVEN years experience, and 50% travel. Apparently, they have interviewed several people who have ALMOST gotten the job. So not worth jumping through their hoops.

Interview Question – The questions were very general. Such as: Have you ever dealt with someone that was difficult to work with, and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Community Director Interview

Community Director

Interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews. The first interview was over the phone with the corporate recruiter. The second was with and area director and the third was with the regional director.

Interview Question – All the questions were pretty standard interview type questions. Not really any surprises.   Answer Question

Manger-In-Training Interview

The process took 6 days - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through their website in early May because of an ad I saw on a job site. Got a call from a recruiter about a week later for a brief phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. She then invited me in for a 1:1 interview.

Started the interview with the recruiter that contacted me. Pretty easy-going interview and she was really nice. Asked me questions such as "When was your first job?" "Why Property Management" "Why Weidner" and some situation questions. I was then passed on to the recruiting manager who gave me more insight on the company and position. Her questions were actually pretty close to the recruiters' questions...maybe checking for consistency?

I was then passed on to the Vice President Regional Manager. She commented "you must be saying the right things if you made it to this point" and I think that helped with my confidence in the interview because it let me know that they were really interested. Afterwards about 15 more minutes with her, she asked me to fill out an application and to set up a schedule with the Community Director or my "mentor".

The interview with the Community Director went really great. We talked about the company, my likes, interest, and other interesting topics. It lasted about 40 minutes. I was pretty confident that after 4 different interview that I was a great fit for the company and that they would possibly offer the job. Got a call about 4 days later (because of the long weekend) with an offer.

Interview Question – Why do you want a career in Property Management?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate but I was happy with what they were offering. I'm sure you could negotiate but you probably won't get much of a bump.

Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in January 2009.

Interview Details – one interview with regional manager. offered position next day. Had to pass, credit, background and drug tests.

They are very strict on credit and make very few exceptions.

Interview Question – What was your worst boss and best boss.   Answer Question

Manager Trainee Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Weidner Apartment Homes in July 2011.

Interview Details – This was the strangest interview I have ever had. I spoke to the Regional Manager for
about an hour. We spoke about my personal background, family, what kind of student I was in
high school. I did not get the feeling I was interviewing. Some questions I was asked were
What do I want for my career?
What are my long term goals?
What do I know about the company?
I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Question – What was a bad choice I have made?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Weidner Apartment Homes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weidner Apartment Homes interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Weidner Apartment Homes employees and interview candidates.