Welcome Wagon

Updated Aug 26, 2014
Updated Aug 26, 2014

1.2

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Welcome Wagon.

I had a response to my application right away, which was such a refreshing change of pace! I spent quite a bit of time on the phone during that first contact; the person I spoke with provided me with quite a bit of information about the position (base salary to start; commission structure; sales cycle; etc.), which was very helpful. During that same call, I had an appointment set with the local manager.

The local in-person interview was conducted at a hotel restaurant and was very relaxed. The manager had been with Welcome Wagon for a long time and was able to answer all of my questions after giving me a thorough presentation of the program. I came away feeling like I understood the company and the job expectations.

Interview Questions
    • I was kind of put on the spot when the manager asked me why the personalization on the cover of the Welcome Wagon book was a benefit. I gave my initial reason, and then she kept saying, "and....?" It was fine, but I hadn't expected that.   Answer Question

I've never been in a commissioned sales position before and decided I was not comfortable with that.

Sales Reporesentative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Welcome Wagon.

met with regional director. very nice person

Interview Questions
    • how are you going to sell a product with so few recipients?   View Answer

Community Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Welcome Wagon.

The hiring process is very ambiguous because the position is straight commission and figures proposed regarding remuneration are based on "You CAN Make", which sounds very motivating.

Bottom Line: Regardless of how experienced a person is in Sales and Marketing, the first year out of pocket expense will deem greater than your commission intake. Additionally- the commission structure and payment amounts proposed have hidden meaning, due to residuals and monies due to the Marketer upon payment for closed sales.

The job candidate is motivated through the interview process to JOIN THE WAGON and GET RICH QUICK! They do not discuss the fact that you are not reimbursed for gas, mileage, or money spent on prospects through new account development, unless you sell over $16-K per/month in advertising sales.

A candidate is also not informed that they have to close at least 3 new accounts in each assigned territory upon start-up before receiving their first pay check. While attempting to sell businesses on the idea of advertising in their new homeowners discount booklet, the actual production after a lot of HARD WORK or past editions for any territory is NEVER SEEN by the CME to utilize as a marketing tool for examples of community advertisers? Welcome Wagon indicates that the they do not reveal the new homeowner discount booklet because they have to protect their previous and current advertisers through anonymity.

The candidate is told that they are "The New Community Marketing Executive" for a specified territory and Welcome Wagon is opening that area which is IN (or)closest to their place of residence. The reality is the fact that Welcome Wagon HAS been around over 85 years, and there have been MANY Marketing Executives prior to hiring the new candidate.

The job applicant is so smothered with charm through the interview with the dangle of a carrot, and is continuously flattered with compliments as an employee so they do not QUIT! The average tenure of a CME with this company is about 90 days which is when the probation period is completed, and about all the new hire can withstand or afford. Less than 1 year is the longest average of employment.

The vicious cycle continues to roll with the Wagon to capture innocent victims to sell their advertising services, while spending their time and own money only beneficial to the company. The program is also ineffective and the client retention rate is little to none, due to extremely poor results for client expansion that a Community Marketing Executive is trained to express to the business owner.

If you like the "Rah-Rah-Ray Shish-Boom-Bah", you may be perfect for this position. Otherwise, do NOT allow yourself to be flattered with kindness, taken-in by promises unkept, or swindled into making more money for this company than they've already accumulated over 85 years. This is the only reason they are STILL in business today while the program is only a huge disappointment, embarrassment, and great expense endured by the employee and new business owner.

Interview Questions
    • There are no unexpected questions of the Recruiter, they do all of the talking through persuasive techniques to entice the interviewee through flattery to join their cult.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation because I believed and trusted every word promised throughout the interview, filled with positive affirmations and promises in commission.

If an employer has to sell you on their company and product, they have a difficult time in attaining employees you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sales Interview

call for interview, asked question about commission only and a draw. Did you ever work somewhere , where this was your income? Where you able to make a good income from it?
    How long have you lived in the area that you would have as your territory and how well do you know it?

Interview Questions
    • Have your home office, computer fax and scanner, printer   Answer Question

Community Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Welcome Wagon.

Called regional manager and quick phone conversation; emailed resume as follow up; interviewed with regional manager; received call from HR dept.; received forms; offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Manager interested in why I wanted to make a change and was leaving my present employer.   Answer Question
    Very little negotiation, only on the amount of the draw (but the total draw cap is the same-- just how you want it spread out in the dollar amount).

Outside Sales, Fronter Because No One Wants to Buy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Welcome Wagon in January 2011.

Most interested in someone willing to work 90 hours a week without promise of pay

Interview Questions
    • Required numerous references and background info, not sure why they are not taking any chances on anyone they don't pay you if you don't make them the big bucks   View Answer
    No negotiations open for discussion, either take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Welcome Wagon in June 2010.

interviewed with regional sales manager. Questions relating sales ability, presentation skills and ability to close sales. Interview process was based on a very relaxed question and answer process. Lasted approx. 45 minutes.

None. Draw and com.

Event Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Welcome Wagon.

Interviewer came over to my house and talked more about the company (though vaguely) than asked questions

Sales Interview

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Welcome Wagon in October 2011.

A few weeks after submitting my resume, I was contacted and interviewed by phone. A few days later I received an email saying that a sales director would contact me to set up a face to face interview. I was informally offered the job at the end of the interview, pending the usual background check, and received a formal job offer within a few days.

Personality-wise, I clicked immediately with my sales director during the face to face interview. She was incredibly thorough in her description of the company and the job description itself and she was also very enthusiastic about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Why was I giving up my business and going back to work for someone else?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation process. The job is commission only with a draw option. The only advice I will give someone considering a sales position here is that this is a job for experienced, powerhouse sales people who are willing to work very hard and have confidence in your ability to close. The first year will be tough, but once you begin to build your customer base, the compensation will begin to pay off.

Outside Direct Sales Position Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Welcome Wagon in April 2011.

The phone interview was very brief. Need to know what were my compensation requirements? Could I work with a straight commission basis? Have I had experience in cold calling, walk in business's to promote the product? Do I have a home office? Is it set-up with a computer and phone? Have I had any or am I currently doing any telemarketing or email prospecting?Why did I choose to send my resume into them over the other job postings, what did I see within their ad that inspired my interest in working there?
    The follow-up will be emailed to me to look at their compensation program and products to see if I am still interested. If I am then I can return the email. Scheduled interviews are 30 minutes. Ours was cut short due to an out of my control -emergency. I returned the call 14 minutes late, from our scheduled phone interview, so with that in mind I cannot complain about the lack of time spent.
    All in all I was thankful to have been able to talk at all! Professional, to the point, pleasant sounding voice.