Welcome Wagon Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

1.5

CME Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Bridgewater, NJ).

Interview

Applied online after seeing job posting
    Needed to fill out forms and send other info to them
    Phone interviews with Florida personnel rep then phone interview with regional manager
    In person interview with regional manager
    Then job offer by phone then written offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not really negotiable

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Welcome Wagon.

Interview

I had a response to my application right away, which was such a refreshing change of pace! I spent quite a bit of time on the phone during that first contact; the person I spoke with provided me with quite a bit of information about the position (base salary to start; commission structure; sales cycle; etc.), which was very helpful. During that same call, I had an appointment set with the local manager.

The local in-person interview was conducted at a hotel restaurant and was very relaxed. The manager had been with Welcome Wagon for a long time and was able to answer all of my questions after giving me a thorough presentation of the program. I came away feeling like I understood the company and the job expectations.

Interview Questions

• I was kind of put on the spot when the manager asked me why the personalization on the cover of the Welcome Wagon book was a benefit. I gave my initial reason, and then she kept saying, "and....?" It was fine, but I hadn't expected that.   Answer Question

I've never been in a commissioned sales position before and decided I was not comfortable with that.

Sales Reporesentative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Welcome Wagon.

Interview

met with regional director. very nice person

Interview Questions

• how are you going to sell a product with so few recipients?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarsdale, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Scarsdale, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR representative from the home office in Florida. She was very knowledgeable about the company and the job requirements. The second interview was a phone screen with the hiring manager and then we met in person. They checked my references and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What I was looking for in a position?   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

The hiring process is very ambiguous because the position is straight commission and figures proposed regarding remuneration are based on "You CAN Make", which sounds very motivating.

Bottom Line: Regardless of how experienced a person is in Sales and Marketing, the first year out of pocket expense will deem greater than your commission intake. Additionally- the commission structure and payment amounts proposed have hidden meaning, due to residuals and monies due to the Marketer upon payment for closed sales.

The job candidate is motivated through the interview process to JOIN THE WAGON and GET RICH QUICK! They do not discuss the fact that you are not reimbursed for gas, mileage, or money spent on prospects through new account development, unless you sell over $16-K per/month in advertising sales.

A candidate is also not informed that they have to close at least 3 new accounts in each assigned territory upon start-up before receiving their first pay check. While attempting to sell businesses on the idea of advertising in their new homeowners discount booklet, the actual production after a lot of HARD WORK or past editions for any territory is NEVER SEEN by the CME to utilize as a marketing tool for examples of community advertisers? Welcome Wagon indicates that the they do not reveal the new homeowner discount booklet because they have to protect their previous and current advertisers through anonymity.

The candidate is told that they are "The New Community Marketing Executive" for a specified territory and Welcome Wagon is opening that area which is IN (or)closest to their place of residence. The reality is the fact that Welcome Wagon HAS been around over 85 years, and there have been MANY Marketing Executives prior to hiring the new candidate.

The job applicant is so smothered with charm through the interview with the dangle of a carrot, and is continuously flattered with compliments as an employee so they do not QUIT! The average tenure of a CME with this company is about 90 days which is when the probation period is completed, and about all the new hire can withstand or afford. Less than 1 year is the longest average of employment.

The vicious cycle continues to roll with the Wagon to capture innocent victims to sell their advertising services, while spending their time and own money only beneficial to the company. The program is also ineffective and the client retention rate is little to none, due to extremely poor results for client expansion that a Community Marketing Executive is trained to express to the business owner.

If you like the "Rah-Rah-Ray Shish-Boom-Bah", you may be perfect for this position. Otherwise, do NOT allow yourself to be flattered with kindness, taken-in by promises unkept, or swindled into making more money for this company than they've already accumulated over 85 years. This is the only reason they are STILL in business today while the program is only a huge disappointment, embarrassment, and great expense endured by the employee and new business owner.

Interview Questions

• There are no unexpected questions of the Recruiter, they do all of the talking through persuasive techniques to entice the interviewee through flattery to join their cult.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because I believed and trusted every word promised throughout the interview, filled with positive affirmations and promises in commission.

If an employer has to sell you on their company and product, they have a difficult time in attaining employees you will be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Sales Interview

Interview

call for interview, asked question about commission only and a draw. Did you ever work somewhere , where this was your income? Where you able to make a good income from it?
    How long have you lived in the area that you would have as your territory and how well do you know it?

Interview Questions

• Have your home office, computer fax and scanner, printer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview was pleasant. Very well thought out. Everything explained in detail. Made job and products sound way easier to sell than they actually were. They don't have a local office - so interview was held at a restaurant - kind of weird!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Called regional manager and quick phone conversation; emailed resume as follow up; interviewed with regional manager; received call from HR dept.; received forms; offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Manager interested in why I wanted to make a change and was leaving my present employer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation, only on the amount of the draw (but the total draw cap is the same-- just how you want it spread out in the dollar amount).

Outside Sales, Fronter Because No One Wants to Buy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Orlando, FL) in January 2011.

Interview

Most interested in someone willing to work 90 hours a week without promise of pay

Interview Questions

• Required numerous references and background info, not sure why they are not taking any chances on anyone they don't pay you if you don't make them the big bucks   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations open for discussion, either take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Welcome Wagon (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2010.

Interview

interviewed with regional sales manager. Questions relating sales ability, presentation skills and ability to close sales. Interview process was based on a very relaxed question and answer process. Lasted approx. 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None. Draw and com.