WellPoint Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.7

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WellPoint in December 2008.

I was emailed an exam to take online,then called for a phone interview,then called in for a one on one.The reviewer was pleasant but called me by the wrong name a few times.My overall feeling is that Wellpoint probably hires a ton of people and it is kind of like an assembly line.

Interview Questions
    • Your previous employer promoted you many times and gave you a great reference.Why don't you still work there?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.An offer is made and it is" take it or leave it".

Project Leader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at WellPoint in March 2009.

complex, multi tier, took a long time

didnt negotiate

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WellPoint in June 2011.

Applied online and also via an internal employee referral. HR recruiter based in Los Angeles made initial contact and asked standard HR questions. Most importantly, she asked salary requirements. I am a new PhD graduate and asked for $80K. She said that starting salary for this position is $70K, but obviously negotiable because I made it to the next round of four. Interview 2 consisted of a 1:1 phone interview with a research manager. He was pleasant and focused on my resume content. He particularly wanted to hear about the skills used or gained related to each of my previous positions. The interviewer also asked about previous experience with medical claims databases and SAS knowledge. Interview 3 was a "green" interview. It's a webcam interview with three other interviewers. They send you a webcam if you don't own one and the service tests it with you a day or two before the interview. All three interviewers were senior researchers (research scientist/manager). The focus was on research skills and knowledge with an occasional HR question. The final interview -- they fly you in to Wilmington, DE and pay for hotel, cab, flight, and meals. It was three sessions. The first was with the HR manager about benefits, etc. The second with the 1:1 interviewer from days previous (there was supposed to be a second person from the green interview but she couldn't make it). The third interview was with a different research manager and a research manager from the "green" interview. All these mini-sessions focused on skill sets and questions that tested your knowledge of them.

Throughout the process, I felt they were a bit cold. They work remotely and this was a position for their satellite office where I would have been the only member of my team among the other folks. Communication is via webcam, phone and email. I was hesitant about this structure and voiced it in my final interview, but they guaranteed seamless communication and collaboration.

They were great about accelerating the interview process. I had an offer on the table and needed to make a decision ASAP.

After making it to the in-person interview, they didn't hire me. They're cold nature re-confirmed by their mass-style rejection email. I would think at that level, they would have had the courtesy to personalize the rejection. No hard feelings though because I went with the job that I really wanted anyway.

Marketing Performance Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at WellPoint in June 2011.

I submitted my resume online early May. I was invited to submit a very long online application which took me 3 hours to fill out. It required 10 years of work experience as well as the address in which you lived in for the past 10 years. By end of May, the manager scheduled an interview beginning of June. I met with the manager and she was very pleasant. The questions were fairly easy to answer. She focused on my past experiences. There was a follow up phone interview with 3 other peers. The questions were very technical and behaivioral as well. Right after the interview, I was given a file to work with. The instructions were minimal and very vague. I submitted the file by the given deadline. I had been part of the 1st round of interviews and was told a 2nd round would be conducted end of June. That by early July a decision would be made. By the 2nd week of July I received an email stating I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • Review the following file and submit your findings.   View Answer

Customer Care Representative I Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at WellPoint in October 2011.

I had a phone interview, had prepared for it extensively and was looking forward to it. It started out good, even though the interviewer spoke in a monotone. She went over the basics of the job, she was not sure of the exact training process, and then told me what the salary was, which was much lower than what I had been making. However, I tried to keep an open mind. I asked her if she could tell me a little more about the job---- she interrupted me and said that she would asking the questions and would not be giving me any more information. I ended the interview at that point. She was stammering as I hung up on her.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be able to sit at a desk all day, taking sucessive phone calls?   View Answer

Manager Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at WellPoint in September 2011.

Recruiter was really terrific - communicated well and understood the position thoroughly. Phone interviews with Director and other managers on her team went really well. Very knowledgeable, professional and friendly folks. The Director was very professional yet personable and interviews were more like meetings/discussions. It came down to me and one other person and they chose the other person who had slightly more experience in their area than I did. Would have loved to get the job. But the recruiter was very grateful and emailed me to thank me very much for participating and said she hopes that the process went well and that I'd be open to future opportunities. Definitely will be. Rating the interview as "difficult" because we had some intense discussions. However, it really didn't feel difficult because the people involved made the process easy.

Interview Questions
    • Industry/specialty specific questions (how would you handle situations x, y and z)...   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at WellPoint in April 2010.

Behavioral based interview. Specific questions directed to the position. Had a coworker (potential) in the interview as well to provide more specifics. Great atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    Was not able to negotiate

Health Insurance Sales Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WellPoint in October 2009.

I was already in a position within this department and the interview process was part of a re-org

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider your development areas and how are you currently working on them? Please give real examples.   Answer Question
    • Describe your management style and what motivational or recogniztion programs you have personally implemented and what were the results?   Answer Question
    negotiated what salary and structure of the position since some of the responsibilities I already had

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at WellPoint in March 2010.

Was given a phone interview. Questions were hard to answer.

Interview Questions
    • what was the thing you most disliked about the position   View Answer
    • give example of a difficult claim to handle   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at WellPoint in April 2007.

Phone interview with hiring manager and panel interview with hiring manager peers along with phone interview with hiring managers boss. More common is at least 1 in person interview. Panel interviews are VERY common and it is VERY typical to also interview with the hiring managers direct manager (so a skip level up interview)

Interview Questions
    • how did I handle short budget, inadequate staffing and righ handed date for project   Answer Question
    No negotiation on salary, pretty much a fixed range based on job, start date is negotiable
    Advice to others: clarify future of the position, organizational position and organizational future. WLP re orgs almost annualy so make sure you like the position and dont fall in lov with manager as h/she will change