WellPoint

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Wilmington, DE

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at WellPoint in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call to schedule an interview an interview the other day. HR lady was very nice and asked me why I leave current position and apply for Wellpoint. She also asked my future career goal, my weakness and strength. It went around 15 minutes. at the end of the interview, she told me there will be another phone interview by hiring manager and was followed up by scheduling the time.

Interview Questions

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Andover, MA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at WellPoint in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and also via an internal employee referral. HR recruiter based in Los Angeles made initial contact and asked standard HR questions. Most importantly, she asked salary requirements. I am a new PhD graduate and asked for $80K. She said that starting salary for this position is $70K, but obviously negotiable because I made it to the next round of four. Interview 2 consisted of a 1:1 phone interview with a research manager. He was pleasant and focused on my resume content. He particularly wanted to hear about the skills used or gained related to each of my previous positions. The interviewer also asked about previous experience with medical claims databases and SAS knowledge. Interview 3 was a "green" interview. It's a webcam interview with three other interviewers. They send you a webcam if you don't own one and the service tests it with you a day or two before the interview. All three interviewers were senior researchers (research scientist/manager). The focus was on research skills and knowledge with an occasional HR question. The final interview -- they fly you in to Wilmington, DE and pay for hotel, cab, flight, and meals. It was three sessions. The first was with the HR manager about benefits, etc. The second with the 1:1 interviewer from days previous (there was supposed to be a second person from the green interview but she couldn't make it). The third interview was with a different research manager and a research manager from the "green" interview. All these mini-sessions focused on skill sets and questions that tested your knowledge of them.

Throughout the process, I felt they were a bit cold. They work remotely and this was a position for their satellite office where I would have been the only member of my team among the other folks. Communication is via webcam, phone and email. I was hesitant about this structure and voiced it in my final interview, but they guaranteed seamless communication and collaboration.

They were great about accelerating the interview process. I had an offer on the table and needed to make a decision ASAP.

After making it to the in-person interview, they didn't hire me. They're cold nature re-confirmed by their mass-style rejection email. I would think at that level, they would have had the courtesy to personalize the rejection. No hard feelings though because I went with the job that I really wanted anyway.

Interview Questions

Worked for WellPoint? Contribute to the Community!