Wellington Management Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

3.3

GRG Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wellington Management (Boston, MA).

Interview

Phone screen with HR (piece of cake as HR generally only asks about your past experience). The process is very drawn out as HR is quite inefficient so don't expect to be called to come in for a few weeks. Then you come in and do a "superday" - they call it that but it's not really a "superday" that they do at ibanks. You just come in and meet with a lot of people for fit and minor technical questions. Nothing at all like a grilling you'd get at an ibank superday. (Unless you're on the investor side which is a TOTALLY different animal). Usually meet with a number of team members you'd be working with or under. Overall it's not a great process: they take way too long to interview people, they make you meet with a ton of people but most people you meet with are not prepared to interview you - it's overkill for the GRG roles. Wellington boasts about how hard it is to work there because of how long the process is but it's not because they're any better at evaluating candidates; it's because they're just not very good at interviewing people (a large number of bad hires are made every year).

Interview Questions

• Asked about general market news, a couple of basic financial terms, when did you improve a process, what did you do to solve an issue with a coworker, etc. Nothing too hard, very standard fit / industry questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiating room on pay - they are cutting costs so you're pretty much going to have to accept what they tell you for most roles on the GRG side.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wellington Management (Boston, MA).

Interview

Initial interview - I was contacted by a staffing agency and went through a 30 minute phone interview. I received an invitation to interview at the company the following week. On site interview -I received a detailed Interview schedule ahead of time with who I was interviewing with and the position of that person. On the day, I was given a short prep from the HR before interviewing with 2 different managers and an AA. The whole interview process took 2 hours and was according to the initial schedule. The interviewers were friendly and informative. I received a call 2 days later that I was accepted for the position.

Interview Questions

• - What is your strengths? - Why do you want to work for Wellington? - What do you know about Wellington? - What do you like about the Administrative Assistant role?   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Wellington Management (Boston, MA).

Interview

Straightforward interview process with a series of one on one discussions. Mostly testing competencies and prior work experience. They focused a lot on soft skills in this role as it is very focused on internal and external client facing. Must have ability to synthesize information quickly and explain externally. Did not have a chance to apply for more quantitative roles that might have required testing or other skills analysis.

Interview Questions

• What is your view of rates in the next year?   1 Answer

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wellington Management (Marlborough, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was alerted to this position by my recruiter and thought it could be a good fit so we submitted my resume for consideration for the position. The first step was a phone screen which was very technical in nature and was set up to primarily assess my routing and switching skill set. The questions were thoughtful and thorough, and some were particularly difficult and I had to walk through the problem solving in my head a little bit. The second step was an on-site interview where I met with 7 people over the course of four hours. This was the critical part where we were establishing if I was going to be able to fit with the group and if the company's culture was going to be a fit for me. Everyone I interviewed with really knew their stuff. Overall, these folks were the sharpest knives in the drawer I have interviewed with in many years. I ultimately did not continue the process after the on-site interview since the change windows are not compatible with my lifestyle at this current time. As such, I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Which connection in a VPC will stay online when the VPC peer link is disconnected?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

The interview was very informal and intended to be more of a conversation instead of a question and answer session. There were not any tricky or unexpected questions. It started out with the hiring manager explaining the position and then began to ask questions. Typical questions included: Tell me about yourself Walk me through your resume Explain 2-3 strengths and weaknesses Why are you a good candidate for the job what was your favorite and least favorite part of your previous job

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wellington Management (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a staffing agency I was working with about this role becoming available as the current administrative assistant was leaving. I had my first round interviews with the management team, followed by a second round interview a couple of days later with the unit's business analysts.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Wellington?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wellington Management in January 2015.

Interview

Initial 3 rounds of phone interviews and videoconferencing in Java after which I was flown into their downtown Boston office. Another 9 rounds of technical and functional interviews. Pretty tiring and hard to keep up the energy when you are meeting with so many people.

Interview Questions

• 1) Out of all the components in JMS - queue, message, channel, connectionfactory etc. which ones are threadsafe ? 2) How will you design high performing asynchonous callbacks in your application ? 3) What is the typical use case in which you will use a Lambda expression in Java 8 ? 4) What is the drawback of a Future in Java ? Have you heard of a CompletableFuture ? 5) Difference between SAX and DOM parser ? 6) SOAP vs RMI vs HTTP ? 7) Spring vs Weblogic transaction mgmt. ?   Answer Question

GRG Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wellington Management.

Interview

GRG positions at Wellington use the same process that they use to hire portfolio managers. For GRG, it's way overkill. I think it's to make the GRG teams feel important. I can understand why getting the right PM is crucial and requires 10+ interviews but for the relationship / GRG teams? That work is all siloed now so you basically just need to know how to use MS Office... The interviews themselves are 99% fit. They look for curiousity and whether you keep up with market news (which isn't hard to get by with since most current GRG employees don't keep up with the news themselves...) Act normal, get a feel for the interviewer and play to their skills. Sometimes you get someone who's full of themself - play to that and say things like "oh you guys work on some complex stuff!" Sometimes you get someone very nice - play to that as well and show your kinder side. You'll see a lot of people so it's crucial to getting a feel for each of them. I got both types of these people but didn't feel that they were out to get me or give me any brainbusters. There's no secret to this - it's just reading each interviewer you get. Wellington is very fit oriented outside of the investor jobs so your odds are good if you're invited to interview. You'll probably go through 4-5 rounds but it's not difficult at all if you're trying to get into GRG.

Interview Questions

• They MIGHT ask you something specific about topical market news (think the ruble, unemployment, etc.) whatever the hot topic of the week is. Also, read as much as you can about Wellington. They like it a lot when people know the history of the firm.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Worst part is that the 401k contribution is viewed as part of your salary instead of in addition to it. If you are already a good saver then this is a bit of a downer since it brings your total take home salary down to average industry level.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wellington Management in December 2014.

Interview

I had to write an essay to apply. The interview was very straightforward, no trick questions. Be prepared to run through your resume and highlight any experiences in which you worked within a team. They focus more on fit rather than technical aptitude so be prepared for more behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in this particular aspect of the company?   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wellington Management (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting and got invited to the super day in Boston. Had 4 interviews with 2 teams. The overall experience was great, mostly behavior questions as they are really trying to see if you would fit. Be very genuine with your answers for why wellington and why this team. I did also had some harder questions about the market, about fixed income/equity basics (some terminologies and economics). The interviews were very nice and they kept the interview informal as you discuss about the market etc. I heard back 2 days after the final round.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting a lot of technical questions and I did not get any hard ones.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The package is very generous and very fair.