Wellmark Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.4

Operations Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wellmark.

Applied via college recruiting website. Inital phone interview with HR rep that had no idea what my position would entail. Second interview in Des Moines at Wellmark.

No negotiation

Actuarial Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Wellmark in April 2013.

I applied through an online job board and there was one phone interview conducted by the actuarial department. The conversation was pretty pleasant and lasted for about half an hour. Questions included details about my previous internship experience and the actuarial exams I passed, what do I do in my spare time, and we even talked about the Healthcare industry and the Affordable Care Act.

Interview Questions
    • Can't recall anything that was difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wellmark in December 2012.

Was called the day after I submitted my resume. Really submitted it as a joke as I was really overqualified. Online 'interview' was pretty basic to the point of being laughable. Clearly the interviewer had no knowledge of the questions that were being asked, just was typing my responses to pass on to the next level. I even through in some weird terminology that wasn't even real and she typed it up. I had to put my phone on mute briefly while I laughed.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself." I mean could an interviewer ask a more stupid question? You have my resume and a cover letter. I wanted to say, "Can you read?"   Answer Question

The in person interviews really talked down to me, treated me like a second class citizen. It just seemed like I'd never be able to make a difference in a land of committees and suck ups.

Health & Care Management Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wellmark in February 2012.

First campus interview with VP Health & Care Management and one phone interview with teh hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • How would you explain what health insurance is to a kid?   Answer Question
    one week

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Wellmark in March 2010.

It took forever for them to make a decision on hiring---six months from the date of phone interview to job offer. The phone interview was easy. However, I waited several months to get an "in person" interview. The in person interview was with 4 levels of management---seemed like overkill to me.

Interview Questions
    • The VP didn't ask many questions...mainly warned me that insurance companies are not well liked by the general public.   View Answer
    During the phone interview, I asked what their salary range would be for the job. The range they quoted was too low for me and I told them so....since I didn't want to waste my time. I told them what my range was and said that I wouldn't take a cut.

Clinical Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Wellmark in April 2008.

The people organizing the interview took a very long time(I applied in January, I interviewed in April) to get back to me after initially telling me how interested they were in me. I had been referred by a director within the organization and asked to apply, so I was surprised by the length of time it took. When I did get the interview, I had less than a week to find an entire day I could be there for the interview. On the day of the interview, they were having a casual day, so I showed up in an appropriate suit and heels and they were in khakis and jeans. The group interview was not intense, but it also was not warm. Communication was exclusively with HR. The entire posting to finding out they had hired someone else through the grapevine took eight months. No one communicated the position was filled.

Interview Questions
    • Previous experience includes a people focus, how do you handle making decisions that will make people angry?   View Answer

Internal Auditor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wellmark.

Interview with HR. Depending on geography this may be a phone interview. If you pass HRs interview then you interview with department personnel. Company may pay to have you interview at their office in Des Moines. The interview's last around an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Specific questions concerning the Institute of Internal Auditors standards (red book).   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate on salary.

Worked for Wellmark? Contribute to the Community!