Wells Fargo Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
2,525 Interview Reviews

2.7

Teller Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Wells Fargo in July 2014.

Applied for position online, completed screening online, got interview that week. Was a group interview with 8 other candidates for other locations. Answered 4 questions, watched a video about the position, and filled out another application. Interview lasted a little over an hour. Be sure to be relaxed and poised, think about your responses before answering so that you don't stumble over your words. Be sure to mention any experience with sales that you have, that is mainly what they are looking for.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a teller, name a time you went above and beyond with customer service, how would you try to fix your sales record, name a time you reached a personal goal.   Answer Question

Phone Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Monte, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Monte, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wells Fargo in July 2014.

Their HR will send an email for you to finish. Those questions are easy. It is about your work ethnic and common sense. If they like your application, they will have a phone interview. The phone interview is straight forward. Pass it, then you get to meet/ interview with the branch manager.

Supply Chain Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Initially contacted by HR about 1 month after applying for the position. Was set up for a panel interview with 3 people from across the country, as they are a pretty dispersed team. Interviews went over a brief rundown of my background and a standard set of behavioral questions. I hour interview. I had about 10 minutes to ask questions. I believe this was a peer level interview by those that would be in my team / at my same level.

A second interview with their leaders/directors 10 days later. Same interview questions. 45 minutes. About 10 minutes for questions.

A third interview a week later with my future direct manager. Same interview questions. 30 minutes. About 5 minutes for questions.

Received a call about a week after that from the director to let me know they would like to make an offer, and they asked me about compensation requirements. I responded with my current compensation. We had some additional back and forth and agreed we would speak again the next day.

In the time it took for all of this to transpire (from initial application to where we are at this point), I had applied to other jobs. I actually received another offer for a position at my current company this same day.

Next day, he came back with a revised offer, but I did not feel like I had a solid understanding of the role / organization / direct supervisor and told him I would like to speak to my future manager a bit more to get a feel for his management style, specific responsibilities, etc. He agreed this was fine, but said he would need a decision the next day. I was trying to weigh this offer against the one from my current company.

Spoke to the direct manager again for about 30 minutes. This was probably the first time I got a true sense of what life would be like working at Wells Fargo. I did not come away with a "warm and fuzzy" feeling from this discussion, and it actually raised more concerns than not. (see below in "Why did you decline" section for more details). There were certainly some good things however such as bonuses and some work from home flexibility which were appealing. Also, the manager seemed like a nice enough person and seemed pretty reasonable. From a personal perspective I think he was probably the best part of the interview process.

However, after weighing all the pros and cons, I believed I had a better fit in the other job at my current company. This is where the whole process took a left turn and went off-course.

I called the director back and let him know that I had received an offer from my current company just a couple of days ago that I felt was a better fit for me and so would be declining his offer. He did not take it well, and became somewhat adversarial. My attempt to explain the situation only seemed to make him more upset. He also offered "friendly advice" (in a not so friendly tone) that I did not know how to interview properly and said that if I applied for a job, I should be ready to accept that job if an offer is made, especially when applying to a Fortune 500 company like Wells Fargo. I let him finish and then tried to end the call on a positive note, wishing him success with his other potential candidates. I don't know if he misinterpreted what I said, but in a negative tone he let me know that there was no shortage of excellent candidates that they could pull from that would love to be at Wells Fargo. We ended the call at that point.

I'm sorry, but most people apply for multiple jobs and, if given multiple offers, will try to make a rational decision to pick what is best for them. This isn't the bottom of the recession anymore where people feel compelled to jump at the first offer thrown their way simply because the hiring company has all the power. Plus, if they hadn't taken so long in their hiring process (53 days from application to offer) I may still have gone with them if there was nothing else on the table because even though I had concerns, the direct manager I would work for seemed generally reasonable.

I tried to be as gracious as possible, but he had responded in a way I have never seen applying to any other company before. It came across as arrogant and unprofessional and honestly was quite shocking. Maybe I caught him after a bad day at work, but in hindsight, I am glad that I went with my gut and turned down the job, as I probably would have run across this attitude at some point in the future and it more than likely would have made me want to leave the group/company. I am not looking to apply to Wells Fargo for anything ever again as a result of this experience.

Interview Questions

Got another job offer for a position at my current employer which I was weighing against this opportunity.

Also found that there were a lot of unknowns for me moving into the position at Wells Fargo: 1) Group had recently experienced some churn with people leaving and a recent re-org, 2) manager I would be reporting to was new in his management role though he said he had managed a finance team before, 3) unclear regarding what typical work hours would be and the workload was admittedly pretty high since they were just re-orged, 4) scm organization still seems to be in the very start of the learning curve where they are still trying to get buy-in from the BUs and trying to show that they are value-add. 5) Commute would be significantly longer than what I currently had 6) Overall compensation package for the long term was better with my other offer

Overall it was just not a good fit for what I was looking to get into once I found out more about the position and the group.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wells Fargo in October 2012.

After filling out the online application, i received an email to complete the initial test in order to qualify for the position. After i passed the test i received another email to schedule an interview for the position. First interview was a phone screening in order to weed out the best candidates for in person interviews, The second interview was a face to face interview with the store manager and service manager. After completing the face to face interview i got a call the same day offering me the job. The next step was completing a background investigation and fingerprint screening.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you went out of your way for a customer.   Answer Question

Mortgage Loan Officer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Very simple hiring process. You meet with a recruiter first, then manager then regional manager. Then you tour the facility in which you will work at. You are required to get fingerprinted and have a background check.

simple

Commercial Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wells Fargo.

I did a simple resume drop on my campuses career website and I got an invitation to interview. The interview was about a week later. In the first interview they ask you questions about yourself and your resume.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me two sort of technical questions. First, they asked what financial document I would look at to determine a customers creditworthiness. Then they asked a question about how the three financial documents relate to each other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo in July 2014.

I have less than 1 year of customer service experience and none banking experience. I put my personal banker as referral. I didnt have phone interview or online assessment. I got invited to the group interview of 6 after applying online. It's easy and straight forward. Questions are expected. Only one recruiter was involved. After few days, i got call from the branch for 1:1 interview with the service manager and store manager. The interview was pretty much the same as the group interview but more in-depth. It lasted for more than 30minutes. I got a call the same day from both managers asking to interview with the district manager. That interview was pretty much the same as the previous one. All of them are nice, friendly with no pressure during interview. One key thing is "Smiling" . Wells Fargo really focus on customer service experience. Also, be sure to mention your sale number such as the quota that you have met or exceed. Stuff like that

Interview Questions
    I didnt negotiate since i was so shocked when I got the call back from the HR. She is the recuiter from the group interview. Good luck every one!!!!

Financial Crimes Supervisor I Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo in November 2013.

STAR interview method was used for the formal interview, which is the Wells Fargo standard. Focus on time management, ability to work well as a team, and how you handle difficult situations. Experience with coaching/feedback is a must. All questions were ones that I had been asked before when interviewing for other positions, but my answers were different because it was necessary for me to present myself in a different capacity for this position. Based on the requirements they were seeking in the job posting, I was able to prepare myself for the questions that were asked. Finding key words in the initial job posting is a relevant tool to prepping for any interview.

Interview Questions
    • Not a difficult question, but unexpected was "Tell me what your first day on the job would be like?" Once the STAR questions were completed the interviewer asked this which caught me off guard.   View Answer

Teller At Wells Fargo Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo.

During the interview they will ask you questions and you have to answer it in this format STAR(Situation Task you took and the end Result). They asked several questions during the group interview such as What was one of your greatest accomplishments and explained the steps you took to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was name me a time when you had a difficult customer   Answer Question
    The pay rate could not be negotiated

Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wells Fargo.

I took a group interview. Moved on to 1 on 1 interview with a service manager. And then I took a final interview with hiring managers in the district. I recommend that when you don't get a call from either a branch or recruiter, you should call up and find out what the situation at present is like. Hiring process goes quicker and smoother.

Interview Questions

Worked for Wells Fargo? Contribute to the Community!