Wells Fargo Teller Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.6

Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Wells Fargo.

So you apply to all the job postings that you want online wellsfargo.com/careers. You have to make an account and apply for each job post individually. Then you get an email to do a screening. It's a bunch of random aptitude questions. Then you'll get a choice as to when you would like to attend a group interview. This is for your entire metropolitan area. You interview with a recruiting officer. The group interview is about 2 hours long. You have to apply for all the job postings you want online again. Then you'll get an email telling you you can come for another interview-it is either one on one or another group interview. Or you'll get one saying they chose to go a different direction. If you get the former you'll go to a group interview-at least in my case- with a hiring panel. It has the district manager, and the managers at all the stores that have openings in the area. They'll ask you questions. Then at that point they write what they like about you and send it to recruitment who then makes the final decisions. Then the recruiting officer will either call you or email you telling you if you got the job. But careful, then you have to do an online application, set up a date for a fingerprint analysis, then the background check officialpy starts which could take a while. The. After that clears it's another week or two until you go into 2 weeks of mandatory 8-5 training. All in all the hiring process is about 6-8 weeks. It's long for an entry level job.

Tips- you don't have to be the first one to answer all of the questions but try to be the third or forth, because sometimes they'll skip to the next question for the sake of time
Smile: look the interviewer straight in the eye and smile and make eye contact even when they're talking to the whole group.
Dress: Dress better then you think you should. Wear a suit. For girls a blazer and work pants is perfect. They should be wrinkle free and ironed. Stick with neutral colors and minimal makeup. Girls don't ever wear bold lipstick to an interview it's just not appropriate. And no chipped nail polish. Guys- if you wear a suit don't wear a black tie- it's only appropriate for funerals and weddings. Make sure your socks don't show and your tie should match your shirt.
Sales- what they're looking for the most is cash experience and sales experience. And people who can learn quickly and easily. Extra friendly is the key word here. They also have customer satisfaction surveys so if you're not great with customers it might not be the right fit.

Interview Questions
  • Whats a time you've overcome an obstacle? what did you learn?   View Answer
  • Whens a time you've dealt with a difficult customer? How did you retain them?   View Answer
  • Name a professional achievement. What did you learn about yourself?   Answer Question
  • We find coachability very important. Whens a time you'd say you learned a task quickly and effectively   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a personal sales goal. MOST IMPORTANT   View Answer
Sometimes with tellers you'll have to mark both part time and full time because they have more part time positions available- but it could lead to full time. Just be prepared that it could be part time they're offering you. I got
A part time of 24 hours a week.

Other Interview Reviews for Wells Fargo

Teller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wells Fargo.

applied online, got an email, phone call, group interview (big group), one on one with store manager, got offer and hired. Interviews were professional and easy. Asked common retail and customer service questions. Group interview was interesting because what other people say and give you time to think of a good answer.

Interview Questions
    • How did you turn around a bad customer service experience with a customer   Answer Question
    none

I applied online – interviewed at Wells Fargo.

First i applied online, within three days i received an email stating there was appiontments available for group interviews to pick a date and time. When i clicked the link the times had already filled up so i waited for another one. It came available about 5 days later. I got to it quicker this time and scheduled a time.

Interview Questions
    • Q: introduce yourself, tell your expirence and work history as relevant to the job, why you want to work as a teller, and why do you want to work for wells fargo.

Q: Tell of your biggest accomplishment, what obstacles you faced and how you overcome them and what you learned.

Q: Tell of a sales goal or accomplishment you are proud of and how long it took to acheive it, the most difficult part and whaty ou learned from it.

Q: tell of a time you dealt with an unsatisfied customer and what was the outcome, how did you resolve the issue and what did you learn

Q: do you have any questions for me.

These are the only questions that we were asked. It was volunteer based but EVERYONE answered just at their own pace and time. There was only 7 of us and one recruiting consultant. YES, this questions do have a bunch of other questions within them and they are looking for ONE situation that answers all of them. We also filled out a sheet that listed our availabilities and our information and we were shown a slideshow that gave us more information on the job.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conyers, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conyers, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wells Fargo in March 2015.

First interview is a group interview. A recruiter asked the group 3 questions and we went around the room so everyone had the chance to answer every question. Took about 2 hours. If you do well you're receive a call from the recruiter to set a face to face interview with branch managers. This interview is revolved around the same questions asked in the group interview.

Wear muted colors
    Men: SUIT AND TIE. (use tie to add a little color, but nothing too crazy)
    Women: skirt, jacket

The position is all focused on sales and customer service.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What’s a time you've overcome an obstacle? What did you learn?

2. When’s a time you've dealt with a difficult customer? How did you retain them?

3. Name a professional achievement. What did you learn about yourself?

4. We find coachability very important. When’s a time you'd say you learned a task quickly and effectively?

5. Tell us about a personal sales goal. MOST IMPORTANT

6. Explain a situation where you went above and beyond to help a customer.

7. Explain a bad situation you had with a customer, how did you handle it & what was the outcome?

8. Why would you like to be a WF Teller?

9. How does the position fit into your future goals?

10. What is your significant accomplishment? Something you're proud of.

11. What's a significant goal you've set? Describe the goal. How long did it take to achieve? Most difficult part? What did you learn about yourself?

12. What's a time you dealt with a challenging situation? How did you resolve the issue? How did you retain a customer? What was the outcome? What made the greatest impact to customer? What did you learn through this interaction?

13. What are the goals that you have achieved at your previous job?

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Very quick had to submit a fingerprint and background check but very efficient process. One phone interview and one store interview with the store manager and possibly district manager as well.

I applied online – interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Process took a long time, over a month. First apply online, then take an assessment they email you. After that you have a phone screening interview. Once you have completed all that you then get a real interview that was a panel interview with other candidates and several store managers. This included some role playing to see how you would handle different situations and were asked questions about work experience and background. After that HR will locate a store for you and make you an offer,

Interview Questions
    • Involved pretending to sell made-up products from a random business with a partner and reversing roles.   Answer Question
    They make an offer, I didn't try to negotiate it since there is a specific range they use and formulate based upon experience and location.

Teller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Wells Fargo.

Be careful. You'll be so excited about the job/promotion that they'll lowball you on salary If you are offered the job pleaase hold your ground on your salary requirement. It's a crying shame what they'll offer up front and then claim there's no way to increase it more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wells Fargo in March 2015.

It's a 2 step process. First is your group interview with between 5-15 individuals. Then your final interview will be with the managers and final interviewees that made it as well.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a difficult customer interaction. What did you do to resolve the issue? What did you learn about yourself afterwards? (Something of that nature).   View Answer
    • There are numerous banks that you could work for. Why do you want to build a career with Wells Fargo?   View Answer
    • Name a time when you accomplished one of your biggest goals. It can be a personal or professional goal.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wells Fargo in February 2015.

I applied online at the career website. About 3 days later, I received a group interview invite for the following Thursday (Yesterday) @ 10 a.m.. Walked into the branch, their was about 15 other candidates sitting in the lobby. I took the last available seat as 2 others walked in. From the time that I walked in, we waited about 10 minutes before being directed to a back (conference like) room. Signed in. Their was a panel of 4 people. They were Branch managers and a recruiter. Each candidate did an introduction that consisted of your name and current or previous job title relevant to the position they applied for (Teller). We were then told a little about the company. The motto, possible career paths, store hours, compensation, etc. we were then told that we would have to answer a series of questions. We were allowed time to write them down and then answer when we were ready! We then responded to these questions, which turned out to be short stories, took about 1 1/2 hours for 15 ppl to answer 3 questions each... UGH!!!! Such a drag. The panel sat quietly and took notes. After we completed the questions we were asked about location preference, availability and restrictions. We were asked did we have any questions. No one had any. We were told that we should expect to be contacted within a Max. 2 week period, whether we were chosen or not. We were then dismissed. As everyone stood up to leave, the branch manager asked for 3 of us to remain, so that "he could get more availability info". As we stayed behind he asked were we available to immediately meet with the district manager at the corporate location. We were informed that if we did good at the next interview, that we would be offered the position. We headed to lunch for an hour, then headed over to the corporate location. Spoke with DM. GOT THE POSITION!!!

My advice would be practice and preparation. Great eye contact, not only to the panel, but to everyone in the room. Project your voice. I have full blown anxiety. So I practiced in the mirror for a week. I drove my family crazy with practice questions. I'm typically intimidated by authority figures. Like I'd go mute sometimes. I remained calm and worked it out.

Dress like your graduating from Harvard Law! Ladies, pant or skirt suit, dark colors, nothing that'll be a distraction. I wanted to wear an ascot. Changed my mine. Gentlemen, SUIT!!!! Tie!!!

Interview Questions
    • Why would you like to be a WF Teller?   Answer Question
    • How does the position fit into your future goals?   Answer Question
    • What is your significant accomplishment? Something you're proud of.   Answer Question
    • What's a significant goal you've set? Describe the goal. How long did it take to achieve? Most difficult part? What did you learn about yourself?   Answer Question
    • What's a time you dealt with a challenging situation? How did you resolve the issue? How did you retain a customer? What was the outcome? What made the greatest impact to customer? What did you learn through this interaction?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Wells Fargo.

I applied online, directly on their website. I received an email saying that for this position it's required a web-based screening. Once you complete it and depending on the results, you could be considered for an interview (the screening shows your results once you have finished). Two days after I received an automated email saying there were more dates available for interviews so what I did was schedule my own interview choosing one of the dates available. I went to my interview, and met three more candidates. The interviewer wanted to know the last three places where we have worked, names of the company, and how long we worked there, obviously you have to say a brief description of what you did there.

If you did it well, and were convincing with your answers they are going to contact you for an interview with the manager, who is the one to makes the final decision. You would receive an email saying if you was selected for the next interview or if you were not. It would take between one and two weeks to hear from them.

They are looking for people who can make sales, it will be considered a sale when you suggest to a customer another service and redirect him/her to your coworker who is in charged to seal the negotiation and excellent customer service.

Suggestion: While you are applying for a job as a teller, you must select the places where you would like to work based on you current location (10 miles radius from where you live), otherwise, they are going to ask you to apply to a place that better fit your commuting needs. In my personal opinion this has something to do with the salary you will earn and that you have to work for the company at least one year to be considered for promotion.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a teller?
      Based on your past sales experience, how did you sell the products/service?
      Why did you leave your last job?
      Do you have any experience handling cash?

View Answer