West Marine

Relevance Date Difficulty

Clerk Interview

Clerk
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at West Marine in May 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online, submitted a limited professional resume (I had only done landscaping and handyman work before), a boating resume (15 years boat ownership, experience with inboards, outboards, and ASA charter certification with multiple references across the country), and a short narrative describing my boating experience. The store manager called after a few days to schedule an interview on a Wednesday afternoon. I wore khaki pants and a blazer and was later told I was the best dressed interviewee they had seen in 9 years. The manager called with an offer to start Friday within an hour of me leaving the store.

Interview Question – No difficult questions... I had no retail experience, so I was unfamiliar with some of the shipping/receiving/stocking terms and probably could have had a better answer to a question about shoplifting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I accepted what they offered.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Assistant Category Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at West Marine in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview is always a phone call from the Human Resources department. You will be asked if you smoke tobacco as West Marine is a "smoke-free" workplace so regardless answer "no". If you pass the phone interview you will take a Caliper Test it evaluate your potential growth within the company. Sense of urgency and the capability to work with other is a big thing they're looking for. if you pass the Caliper you'll be brought in for an in-person interview through which you'll be interviewed by groups of current Merchandising team members. if you pass the in-person interviews you will then be given an offer.

Interview Question – Where do I see myself: Merchandising or Replenishment?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really is no negotiation unless you have exceptional experience or an extraordinary talent.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at West Marine.

Interview Details – The hiring process took close to 4 months, mainly due to how disorganized they were. They were ready to hire me and then said that it would have to be a few months before they could extend an offer, since they miscalculated their budget for that quarter.

Interview Question – Must have extensive boating knowledge and experience, which I do, but most people probably do not.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was an offer, take it or leave it. It's based on your knowledge and experience. If I had to do it again, I would negotiate for more money, or walk..

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier Interview

Cashier
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at West Marine in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. At the interview it was 2 members of management, another girl applying for the position, and myself. The questions asked were relatively basic: Why do you want to work here, what type of experience do you have, tell us about yourself... That kind of thing.

Interview Question – None. The questions were are all pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Assistant Manager II Interview

Assistant Manager II

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at West Marine.

Interview Details – Hiring is off-shored to a third party to evaluate before the manager ever sees you. The company does not trust its store-runners.

Interview Question – Would you turn in your (dead) grandmother if you caught her stealing?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – get a higher salary and/or job title early, because you will not be promoted on merit.

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at West Marine in June 2009.

Interview Details – boater, retail exp.

Interview Question – how to deal with upset customers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Kemah, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at West Marine in March 2012.

Interview Details – very short and to the point, needed help asap

Interview Question – nothing was difficult to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – terrible pay but i needed a job

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

Interviewed at West Marine

Interview Details – You start by filling out an application on line and high light store in you are where you would like to work. Follow up with the store managers directly. The end of April or the first of May is the hot time to start as a part time associate in the North East. The major boating season is just ramping up. The will review your application, and have you come in for the interview.

Interview Question – I really didn't have a most difficult or unexpected question. They would like people to have some type of knowledge of the industry. I've been sailing for over 20 years.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at West Marine.

Interview Details – Submitted Application, then contacted Manager, After their review, set-up an interview, waited about 2 weeks then found out I got the job.

Interview Question – Sell me this keyboard....   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None....low level retail

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at West Marine in February 2010.

Interview Details – you have to take a test online to see if you have personable traits that will be used for customer interaction

Interview Question – have you ever stolen from your workplace   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told to go watch videos for 6 hours over two days.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for West Marine? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at West Marine interview questions and advice. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by West Marine employees and interview candidates.