West Marine Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at West Marine in May 2010.

I applied online, submitted a limited professional resume (I had only done landscaping and handyman work before), a boating resume (15 years boat ownership, experience with inboards, outboards, and ASA charter certification with multiple references across the country), and a short narrative describing my boating experience. The store manager called after a few days to schedule an interview on a Wednesday afternoon. I wore khaki pants and a blazer and was later told I was the best dressed interviewee they had seen in 9 years. The manager called with an offer to start Friday within an hour of me leaving the store.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions... I had no retail experience, so I was unfamiliar with some of the shipping/receiving/stocking terms and probably could have had a better answer to a question about shoplifting.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. I accepted what they offered.

Assistant Category Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at West Marine in September 2010.

Initial interview is always a phone call from the Human Resources department. You will be asked if you smoke tobacco as West Marine is a "smoke-free" workplace so regardless answer "no". If you pass the phone interview you will take a Caliper Test it evaluate your potential growth within the company. Sense of urgency and the capability to work with other is a big thing they're looking for. if you pass the Caliper you'll be brought in for an in-person interview through which you'll be interviewed by groups of current Merchandising team members. if you pass the in-person interviews you will then be given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Where do I see myself: Merchandising or Replenishment?   View Answer
    There really is no negotiation unless you have exceptional experience or an extraordinary talent.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at West Marine.

The hiring process took close to 4 months, mainly due to how disorganized they were. They were ready to hire me and then said that it would have to be a few months before they could extend an offer, since they miscalculated their budget for that quarter.

Interview Questions
    • Must have extensive boating knowledge and experience, which I do, but most people probably do not.   Answer Question
    It was an offer, take it or leave it. It's based on your knowledge and experience. If I had to do it again, I would negotiate for more money, or walk..

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at West Marine in January 2012.

I applied online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. At the interview it was 2 members of management, another girl applying for the position, and myself. The questions asked were relatively basic: Why do you want to work here, what type of experience do you have, tell us about yourself... That kind of thing.

Interview Questions
    • None. The questions were are all pretty straight forward.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Assistant Manager II Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at West Marine.

Hiring is off-shored to a third party to evaluate before the manager ever sees you. The company does not trust its store-runners.

Interview Questions
    • Would you turn in your (dead) grandmother if you caught her stealing?   View Answer
    get a higher salary and/or job title early, because you will not be promoted on merit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at West Marine in June 2009.

boater, retail exp.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kemah, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kemah, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at West Marine in March 2012.

very short and to the point, needed help asap

Interview Questions
    terrible pay but i needed a job

Assistant Manager Interview

You start by filling out an application on line and high light store in you are where you would like to work. Follow up with the store managers directly. The end of April or the first of May is the hot time to start as a part time associate in the North East. The major boating season is just ramping up. The will review your application, and have you come in for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I really didn't have a most difficult or unexpected question. They would like people to have some type of knowledge of the industry. I've been sailing for over 20 years.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at West Marine.

Submitted Application, then contacted Manager, After their review, set-up an interview, waited about 2 weeks then found out I got the job.

None....low level retail

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at West Marine in February 2010.

you have to take a test online to see if you have personable traits that will be used for customer interaction

Interview Questions
    • have you ever stolen from your workplace   View Answer
    I was told to go watch videos for 6 hours over two days.

Worked for West Marine? Contribute to the Community!