West Marine

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.3

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at West Marine.

The hiring process took close to 4 months, mainly due to how disorganized they were. They were ready to hire me and then said that it would have to be a few months before they could extend an offer, since they miscalculated their budget for that quarter.

Interview Questions
    • Must have extensive boating knowledge and experience, which I do, but most people probably do not.   Answer Question
    It was an offer, take it or leave it. It's based on your knowledge and experience. If I had to do it again, I would negotiate for more money, or walk..

Assistant Manager II Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at West Marine.

Hiring is off-shored to a third party to evaluate before the manager ever sees you. The company does not trust its store-runners.

Interview Questions
    • Would you turn in your (dead) grandmother if you caught her stealing?   View Answer
    get a higher salary and/or job title early, because you will not be promoted on merit.

Assistant Manager Interview

You start by filling out an application on line and high light store in you are where you would like to work. Follow up with the store managers directly. The end of April or the first of May is the hot time to start as a part time associate in the North East. The major boating season is just ramping up. The will review your application, and have you come in for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • I really didn't have a most difficult or unexpected question. They would like people to have some type of knowledge of the industry. I've been sailing for over 20 years.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at West Marine.

Submitted Application, then contacted Manager, After their review, set-up an interview, waited about 2 weeks then found out I got the job.

None....low level retail

AM1 Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at West Marine in September 2012.

The hiring process at the retail level starts with an on line application, then a store follow up with the store manager. At the store level I spoke with both the store manager and the top assistant manager. Having a good knowledge of the "Boating Market" and any retail back ground is a plus to get you on the sales floor.

Management positions start with two hour (lplus) computer analysis, then an hour phone interview by 2 district managers. This was a professional interview and the questions are directed at your capabilities and your direction of taking the manager role. I was then interviewed a week later, by phone, by two retail store managers. I hung up after the interview and wondered how either became store managers. The questions were poorly scripted for them and they seemed clueless when I ask direct questions on current P&L, and store staffing of the store I was in line to take over.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kemah, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kemah, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at West Marine in March 2012.

very short and to the point, needed help asap

Interview Questions
    terrible pay but i needed a job

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at West Marine in January 2012.

I applied online and received a call to come in for an interview about a week later. At the interview it was 2 members of management, another girl applying for the position, and myself. The questions asked were relatively basic: Why do you want to work here, what type of experience do you have, tell us about yourself... That kind of thing.

Interview Questions
    • None. The questions were are all pretty straight forward.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at West Marine in January 2012.

Online application process is very easy and quite thorough. Ability to upload resume or curriculum vitae is very easy. You should expect quite some time for a callback if they choose to interview. Also, there are a series of questions which you answer about work situations and the way you would handle them.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions are directed toward how you would react if coworkers were gossiping or participating in inappropriate or unprofessional matters. Basically, they are asking if you would ignore it or tell your manager.   Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at West Marine in September 2010.

Initial interview is always a phone call from the Human Resources department. You will be asked if you smoke tobacco as West Marine is a "smoke-free" workplace so regardless answer "no". If you pass the phone interview you will take a Caliper Test it evaluate your potential growth within the company. Sense of urgency and the capability to work with other is a big thing they're looking for. if you pass the Caliper you'll be brought in for an in-person interview through which you'll be interviewed by groups of current Merchandising team members. if you pass the in-person interviews you will then be given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Where do I see myself: Merchandising or Replenishment?   View Answer
    There really is no negotiation unless you have exceptional experience or an extraordinary talent.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watsonville, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at West Marine in June 2010.

After several in person interviews by various department levels, I took an aptitude test. Then I was called back for another interview by a Sr. Manager. While I was waiting for their hiring decision I was offered another position with an employer that I felt was a better personality fit.

I took another position.