West Monroe Partners

3.1

Customer Experience Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at West Monroe Partners in October 2014.

I applied through my university's career site. On the day stated as the interview scheduling day, I received the email to schedule an interview. The first interview was pretty much a resume interview. Asking about my experiences. Make sure to know your resume well, and be able to elaborate effectively. The person who interviewed me also asked about how well I knew the process at West Monroe. She was helpful and explained a lot of the structure, but I think it may have been better if I had done the research on this instead. Awkwardly, when I came into my first interview, they were prepared to interview me for a Financial Consultant position rather than the Customer Experience position. Apparently some of the recruiters "Call dibs" on certain candidates, according to the person who interviewed me.
    The evening of my first interview, I received an email at 7pm and had to respond that evening with what time I was available for the second round interview. The second round interview was the day after the first interview, and included a case study. I had not done a case interview before, and I also think they forgot that I was applying for the Customer Experience Consultant position, because my case was much more focused on banking and finances than on customer experience. Regardless, the structure and order you use to come up with a solution in the case interview seems to be what they care about the most.
    I didn't move on to the 3rd interview, but my understanding was that the 3rd interview would be on a weekend about 10 days after the 2nd interview, and that interview was supposed to end with a job offer.
    As my first post-college job interview, I can't think of any negatives on their part other than the confusion as to which position I applied for...

Interview Questions
    • Typical resume and behavioral questions mixed together in the first interview.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview process was pretty straightforward, had an initial phone interview going over resume and experience. Then scheduled for a second phone interview, which was more technical, asking about programming experience and such. After that was invited to the Chicago office, where had a series of 5 interviews with people from different departments. Included a Day in the Life Of interview, Behavioral Interview, Case Study Interview, and a Technical Interview.

Interview Questions
    • Not really anything too difficult, were mostly concerned with knowledge on SQL queries.
      Case Study was about a travel agency which was looking to close all physical offices and transition to only online.

Answer Question

Manager - Operations Excellence Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at West Monroe Partners.

Interviewed in July 2014 through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks and consisted of 3 rounds of interviews::
    1 - 45 minute call with recruitment
    2 - 45 minute call with HR
    3 - 4 live interviews for fit, skill, behavioral and a case interview (as described on website).

Everyone was professional and very welcoming.

Interview Questions
    • Case study was not a typical market sizing case; focused more on potential business issues clients face and how you would navigate through as a consultant.   Answer Question

In-office Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at West Monroe Partners.

I was contacted by HR for a phone screen and then a manager. Afterwards, I was called in for a 4-hr face-to-face interview. It was exhausting by the last hour but you have to play to get paid. Overall the process was long, and they took about 2 weeks before responding only to say that I was over qualified. I wasn't sure they knew what they were looking for. I speculate that they are looking for a candidate who fits their culture, so this interview process is really subjective.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. They do value the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at West Monroe Partners.

Recruiter screen; 2 in-person screens; 2 phone screens; then in-office panel of 3 interviews. Fit is very crucial. It depends on if you're a campus or experienced hire. Experienced they are careful on a number of factors.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing strange or unexpected here. But they listen very very closely to whether you're right for them. Make sure they, however, are right for you!   Answer Question
    Simple. They tried to give me what I needed and did.

Experienced Consultant Interview

Simple in-office interview with no case

Business Intelligence Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at West Monroe Partners.

I submitted my resume via my University's career page and got an email requesting a phone interview about 10 days later. That interview lasted about 20 minutes and went through the normal "What do you bring to the table?" questions. A couple days after speaking with HR on the phone, I got an email requesting an office visit interview, which I attended two weeks later. There were five of us in total interviewing for positions that day, all undergraduate seniors. It lasted about four hours: Two one-on-one interviews, one panel with employees who worked there for a year, and one closing speech with the COO.

Interview Questions
    • Business case: A travel agency with software that aggregates Groupon-esque deals wants to expand into a web-based platform. They want to double revenue within five years. What are your recommendations?   Answer Question

Consultant - Technology Infrastructure Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at West Monroe Partners in November 2013.

Initially met through a campus club, and then continued the conversation at a career fair. Had an on campus behavioral interview the day after the career fair. This was filled with a lot of "Tell me about" questions that I assume judged com skills. The following day I was asked to examine a case study for an interview. I was also asked to submit a maximum of one page summary and answer to the case study via email after the interview concluded. This was most likely to get a writing sample. After a few days I was asked to schedule an office visit where the day was planed from 9:00-3:00. A mixture of one-on-one interviews with senior consultants and managers was mixed with a questionnaire panel. Was given the tour of the office and closing speech from an office manager.

Interview Questions
    • The case study questions were most difficult as it was open ended and constrained by only 45 mins. Case Summary: A banking company that holds offices worldwide (Chicago, New York, Toronto and London) has 70% of its employees acting as future traders operating on the Chicago trading floor. Other members of the company are in areas of sales/marketing and engineering, and support trading. As the client has aging storage and application servers, WMP has been given the task to develop a new server infrastructure that minimizes operating risk, while allotting for planned growth. The client is expecting a solution design to be delivered in three weeks that addresses expected costs and time requirements.   View Answer
    Was able to negotiate a larger signing bonus. Was surprised to receive a phone call from the company president after they made their offer. I stated that another firm was willing to make the transition to living in Chicago much easier, and the president was able to talk to HR to come up with a new (larger) sign on amount.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at West Monroe Partners in November 2013.

Two rounds of phone interviews then an all day event in Columbus. There was a case study. Everyone was really friendly and made the process much more enjoyable than normal interviews.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at West Monroe Partners in September 2013.

Young, chaotic and confused. I wasted 5 rounds with this firm, including preparing a detailed pitch with project approach, pricing, etc. for a live RFP at my own expense. First had HR screen, then 1:1 with presumed supervisor, then 6 back-to-back at all levels, including mg dir. They used classic cases and scenarios to assess your competencies and experience, including a role play. Got glowing feedback, and then the request to write and present a proposal; no problem. After presenting to mg dir and other staff flown in from other offices, I got no thanks, no feedback, and radio silence for 2 weeks. Recruiter called at 5 pm on Friday to say "their pipeline did not justify the investment," after stringing me along for 3 months. That was everything I needed to know and confirmed my poor gut feeling about this misbegotten firm.

Interview Questions
    • Standard fare for consulting interviews - behavioral, role play and scenarios. What was not standard was tacking on the request for a full on, in person presentation with slideware for a live RFP at my own expense. I am certain they scraped my work.   Answer Question