West Monroe Partners

Relevance Date Difficulty

In-office Support Staff Interview

In-office Support Staff
Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at West Monroe Partners.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR for a phone screen and then a manager. Afterwards, I was called in for a 4-hr face-to-face interview. It was exhausting by the last hour but you have to play to get paid. Overall the process was long, and they took about 2 weeks before responding only to say that I was over qualified. I wasn't sure they knew what they were looking for. I speculate that they are looking for a candidate who fits their culture, so this interview process is really subjective.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. They do value the behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners.

Interview Details – Recruiter screen; 2 in-person screens; 2 phone screens; then in-office panel of 3 interviews. Fit is very crucial. It depends on if you're a campus or experienced hire. Experienced they are careful on a number of factors.

Interview Question – Nothing strange or unexpected here. But they listen very very closely to whether you're right for them. Make sure they, however, are right for you!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple. They tried to give me what I needed and did.

Operations Excellence Consultant Interview

Operations Excellence Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in October 2011.

Interview Details – Onsite interview: 3 interviews.

Behavioral interview - 1 on 1 with a senior consultant or above; standard "why do you want to work here?" type questions
Behavioral/culture assessment during lunch - with the interviewing group plus some consultant through senior consultant level resources
Case interview - 1 on 1 with a senior consultant or above; standard case interview

The behavioral interview and the case interview can be switched, i.e. you can have the case interview first.

Interview Question – Case interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – For consultant level, there is virtually no negotiation on salary. The offer is the offer.

Experienced Consultant Interview

Experienced Consultant

Interviewed at West Monroe Partners

Interview Details – Simple in-office interview with no case

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary was asked   Answer Question

Consultant - Technology Infrastructure Interview

Consultant - Technology Infrastructure
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in November 2013.

Interview Details – Initially met through a campus club, and then continued the conversation at a career fair. Had an on campus behavioral interview the day after the career fair. This was filled with a lot of "Tell me about" questions that I assume judged com skills. The following day I was asked to examine a case study for an interview. I was also asked to submit a maximum of one page summary and answer to the case study via email after the interview concluded. This was most likely to get a writing sample. After a few days I was asked to schedule an office visit where the day was planed from 9:00-3:00. A mixture of one-on-one interviews with senior consultants and managers was mixed with a questionnaire panel. Was given the tour of the office and closing speech from an office manager.

Interview Question – The case study questions were most difficult as it was open ended and constrained by only 45 mins. Case Summary: A banking company that holds offices worldwide (Chicago, New York, Toronto and London) has 70% of its employees acting as future traders operating on the Chicago trading floor. Other members of the company are in areas of sales/marketing and engineering, and support trading. As the client has aging storage and application servers, WMP has been given the task to develop a new server infrastructure that minimizes operating risk, while allotting for planned growth. The client is expecting a solution design to be delivered in three weeks that addresses expected costs and time requirements.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was able to negotiate a larger signing bonus. Was surprised to receive a phone call from the company president after they made their offer. I stated that another firm was willing to make the transition to living in Chicago much easier, and the president was able to talk to HR to come up with a new (larger) sign on amount.

Business Intelligence Consultant Interview

Business Intelligence Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume via my University's career page and got an email requesting a phone interview about 10 days later. That interview lasted about 20 minutes and went through the normal "What do you bring to the table?" questions. A couple days after speaking with HR on the phone, I got an email requesting an office visit interview, which I attended two weeks later. There were five of us in total interviewing for positions that day, all undergraduate seniors. It lasted about four hours: Two one-on-one interviews, one panel with employees who worked there for a year, and one closing speech with the COO.

Interview Question – Business case: A travel agency with software that aggregates Groupon-esque deals wants to expand into a web-based platform. They want to double revenue within five years. What are your recommendations?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Columbus, OH

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in November 2013.

Interview Details – Two rounds of phone interviews then an all day event in Columbus. There was a case study. Everyone was really friendly and made the process much more enjoyable than normal interviews.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in September 2013.

Interview Details – Young, chaotic and confused. I wasted 5 rounds with this firm, including preparing a detailed pitch with project approach, pricing, etc. for a live RFP at my own expense. First had HR screen, then 1:1 with presumed supervisor, then 6 back-to-back at all levels, including mg dir. They used classic cases and scenarios to assess your competencies and experience, including a role play. Got glowing feedback, and then the request to write and present a proposal; no problem. After presenting to mg dir and other staff flown in from other offices, I got no thanks, no feedback, and radio silence for 2 weeks. Recruiter called at 5 pm on Friday to say "their pipeline did not justify the investment," after stringing me along for 3 months. That was everything I needed to know and confirmed my poor gut feeling about this misbegotten firm.

Interview Question – Standard fare for consulting interviews - behavioral, role play and scenarios. What was not standard was tacking on the request for a full on, in person presentation with slideware for a live RFP at my own expense. I am certain they scraped my work.   Answer Question

Human Resources Team Interview

Human Resources Team
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in June 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview and then I spent about 6 hours in the office for interviews, meeting with about 8 different people. This included a lunch interview with 2 people. One interview was with a senior executive, one of the founders of the firm. I will say that for a firm that wins awards for being an outstanding place to work, I was not impressed with what I witnessed or heard about their environment. Everyone sits in an open area, and there are no offices. When I had a tour, people did not look happy. I was also told that turnover is quite high, and that people do sometimes yell and swear at each other. I also met with an executive who was one of the founders of the firm, and she was not very nice to me. She made it clear that she did not like me. When I was getting a tour later in the day, I passed her and she didn't even look up from her work. She looked miserable at her desk. I did not leave with a positive impression.

Interview Question – None were extremely difficult. I work in HR so most questions don't throw me off. What threw me off was that some of the interviewers were not all that friendly.   Answer Question

Manager Operational Excellence Interview

Manager Operational Excellence
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at West Monroe Partners in August 2013.

Interview Details – I received a call from the Hr department who asked fairly detailed questions about my past experience. Then moved on to a manager who asked many questions that did not seem specifically related to the posting. It felt like the posting and the managers vision of the position were not in synch.

Interview Question – What area do you wish to focus your activity in?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at West Monroe Partners

Worked for West Monroe Partners? Contribute to the Community!