WestJet

1 Interview Review

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at WestJet in July 2010.

Despite Westjet's slogan that the staff are fun and friendly...I found it to be the complete opposite when it comes to requesting for company information and an information interview. Information interview is a process where an individual wants to learn more about a company that's beyond what is written on their website, and usually one would request no more than 15 min of their time to ask questions about the company process, philosophies. An information interview is NOT a desparate plead for employment. I was stonewalled by the receptionist, and she absolutely refused to give out any company information or allow me to talk to someone else that would know more about the area that I am interested in (safety). I decided to try again at the encouragement of my job coach. When I called again, a new receptionist that seems have just started and unfamiliar with the Westjet way, transferred me to the Safety Evaluation department, and a lady answered the call. After I am communicated to her that I am looking for an Information Interview she immediately HUNG UP on me!! I even called back just in case it was a technical glitch, and left a message. I never got a call back. It has been about a month now.

I did quite a few information interviews with other companies before, whether it's face to face or over the phone. I never seen this type of resistance to request for more information. Apparently, when I talked to other people, westjet has a reputation for being very secretive, and the receptionist stonewalling those callers wanting more information. This leads me to believe that they got something to hide, and that is never a good sign. Since it is not just one person, this type of rude behavior must be encouraged from the very top of their organizational hierrachy. I have since given up as I don't want to work with such rude, non-transparent organization.

Interview Questions
  • I am interested in learning more about your company, can I set up an information interview with you? (Over the phone)   View Answer