Westar Energy Interview Questions

3.3

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Westar Energy.

Tell us about yourself

Westar doesn't negotiate

Transmission Operation Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Westar Energy in November 2013.

Applied online and was contacted within several days. Met at the General Office for the interview, where I was interviewed by a hiring manager and two members of his team. The hiring manager was very friendly and clear elaborating about the job opening. Questions were straight forward behavioral/situational questions. Was told to hear final decision within two weeks.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most creative project that you have worked on?   View Answer

Benefits Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Westar Energy.

Everyone was very nice, open and more than willing to talk about themselves and their role in the company. I got a nice look at who I would be working with and for but in hindsight I wish I knew more about some of the challenges the position and the department faced.

Interview Questions
    Long. It took over a month from the last interview to get a formal offer.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Westar Energy.

It took a few months before I received a call for an interview. HR coordinated everything. Consisted of 3 team interviews and 1 CEO/COO interview. The process was handled very professionally by HR staffing. Went through several team interviews with future boss and peers. They were well prepared with thought provoking questions.

Interview Questions
    • They described a scenario that could happen in their business and asked I would handle. I was not from their industry so some of the terms were unknown to me.   View Answer
    Negotiated salary and vacation. They were quick with their responses to counter offers.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Topeka, KS

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Westar Energy in July 2013.

Filled out online application, received phone call to schedule phone interview a few weeks later. Phone interview started with a description of myself and my work history, followed by situational questions to determine if I was a good candidate. Questions included: "Tell me about a time when your poor communication with your boss led to a problem and how did you solve it", "Tell me about a time when you were faced with a difficult project and what was the result", "Tell me about your leadership style", "How will you motivate your employees", and a few general information questions about my availability and location. I was told they would get back with me if I was selected for an on-site interview. Three hours later I received a call from the hiring manager to ask if I wanted to travel to perform an on-site interview. All expenses for the interview were covered including meals, hotels, rental car, airlines, and tolls. On-site interview consisted of the same general question format with more detailed questions about my leadership style and more leadership situational type questions. Interview was followed with a drive to the work location with a detailed discussion of the job in the car on the way there. Very professional interviewers/hiring managers and HR representatives, overall an excellent experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most challenging task you have ever had and describe in detail how you overcame it, what was the end result.   View Answer
    Salaries are based on a predetermined wage scale. Hiring manager does not discuss salary other than what the pay scale is for the position. All offers and pay negotiation is referred back to HR. Offer was low in the scale based on my limited experience with the specific industry. Benefits package was excellent from the start so no negotiation was required.

Chemical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Westar Energy.

Pretty Competitive and selective

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Westar Energy in July 2012.

Applied online and received an in-person interview at the power plant. Interviewed with the head engineer and future boss. Very relaxed environment. Interview was well structured and questions were read from a script. Answered roughly 20 questions about past experiences and scenarios that pertained to the position (in this case it was an environmental engineering position).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you failed to perform up to a superiors expectations.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westar Energy.

The process was approximately 7 weeks from resume submission to job offer. The first step, obviously, was to submit my resume. After that, I was asked to go in for a three-hour aptitude test to determine if my skills were compatible with the position, which was approximately 10 days after I submitted my resume. One week later, I received a phone call and was asked at that time to do the phone interview. It was at the end of that phone call that I was asked to schedule the panel interview which was the final step in the process. The panel interview was scheduled approximately two weeks after the phone interview.

The panel interview consisted of the person who conducted the phone interview and four other individuals. They each had a package with the set of questions they were asking and they all took notes throughout the interview. Both during the phone interview and the Q&A prior to the testing, the format of the panel interview was explained. It is a behavoral-type interview where they ask questions which they want answers with specific examples from previous work experience. (ie: How did you deal with a difficult situation with a co-worker? What is your proudest accomplishment at work?

Interview Questions
    • The oddest questions for me were "Give an instance where you were compelled to lie at work" and "Everyone has life situations that come up (sick child, car won't start, etc); tell us how many UNexcused absenses you feel are acceptable during a year?"   View Answer
    There wasn't any negotiation for salary, as the CSR position is paid according to a union agreement.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Westar Energy in May 2010.

Phone screen with set list of questions. Limited chance for dialogue. Difficult to get a read on interviewers' impressions.