Westat

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.5

Research Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Westat.

It was a long time ago. I just remember meeting with 4 people (vice president, and three area directors.) These were 4 individual interviews of about 1/2 hour each. I was moved from office to office.

Interview Questions
    • Why haven't you gotten your doctorate.   View Answer
    They indicated they have levels or pay grades (similar to GS numbers) that depend on education and experience. You are assigned to a grade and start at the bottom of the pay grade.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Westat in October 2014.

About a month after applying online, I had a phone screen with HR where they basically just asked salary requirements. This is when I found out the job did not pay much. Two weeks later, I spoke with someone that worked in the office and we reviewed my resume and she mentioned specific projects that she works on. Straightforward and informative. A week after that I had an in person interview. It was a series of three thirty minute interviews with people in the office and then two more thirty minute interviews via web cam. The whole process was tiring and repetitive but the questions were mainly resume based and not too tricky. I felt it went well and was told I would either hear from one of the people in the office or the recruiter within the next week. Two weeks later I hadn't heard from anyone. I emailed the recruiter. No response. I emailed the lady who I phone interviewed and later met in person and no response. After another week I called the recruiter and she did not pick up. I waited another week and finally heard from her via email saying she didn't know how the office wanted to proceed yet but would be in touch when she did. Another three weeks passed and no word. At this point I just needed to hear a solid no from her so I could move on. I emailed her and had to wait another week before receiving a generic response saying they chose someone else. They were great at communicating when I was early in the process but I did not appreciate the radio silence post-interview...it reflected very poorly on the company as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me specifically where else I had applied and at what point I was in the process at these places.   View Answer

Field Interviewer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westat in September 2014.

I was called the next day after I applied online. I did three 30 minute telephone interviews over the period of one week, then flown to HQ in Maryland for a 1 day for in person interview ( all expense paid trip by Westat). I was interviewed by three managers. Then one week after in person interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I had no difficult or unexpected question because I went into interview fully prepared.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a tiny increase in starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat.

I started as SPS (Hourly/temp) and was not interviewed. A project needed temps ASAP so I was quickly recruited. They have you take some skills tests and training specific to the work you will be doing, and a typing test. They also require a background check. When you move to a new project once you are a Westat employee, you may be interviewed by that Project Director and other managers. I've been interviewed twice for new projects. It was with two or more managers and they ask what your interests are and if you would like to do the work they are asking you to do on that project. They ask about previous project work. Once they are done interviewing all candidates they email or call you to let you know if you were chosen and when they want you to start.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation....ever...when it comes to pay. You can negotiate your schedule.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westat in June 2014.

Well I had a phone interview with Westat and am still in the interviewing process. The phone interview went smoothly. The interviewer contacted me on time, went through what the company was about, and asked me some questions. He then allowed me to answer my own questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer basically asked questions about my resume and what I did with each research project I undertook. So I would suggest brushing up on the details of your resume. He also asked me what makes me a good candidate for Westat. He also asked me what were my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    Well, I received a call later asking me to attend an in-person interview.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

I was contacted by HR. A series of four one-on-one interviews was scheduled. The series of interviews took 3.5 hours. The questions seemed straightforward to me, with a different emphasis for each interviewer; a mix of questions aimed getting to know each other, understanding my skills, explaining what the organization is like, and what the work would be like. I though the interview questions and approach were very reasonable and straightforward. I liked the people I met. The HR contact seemed good too.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had any special methods expertise, so that I could be included in contracts as a methods expert. I have a broad knowledge of methods but not a specific area of expertise. I thought this meant they would definitely not be able to use me, but they explained that people could also be included as contracts as content area experts, and that this content expertise could be developed on the job.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

Phone interview with HR followed by a 4 hour onsite interview with project supervisors. Most questions were about my previous work experience and how I handle juggling multiple tasks.

Interview Questions
    • One guy asked what my weakness was and then berated me after because he felt like I had more weaknesses but wasn't giving in? Very confusing.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was very low but I was desperate for a job.

MCBS Field Interviewer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Westat.

Applied online, received a call for the 1st interview with the supervisor and then 2nd interview with the regional manager and then I was offered a position.

None

Research Associate Interview

Organized, people-oriented, a bit old-fashioned, but it was personal and professional. It was clear you mattered.

Interview Questions
    • Are you interested in doing X or doing Y?   View Answer

Data Collector At Home Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Westat in November 2013.

I applied for a data analyst position and was contacted by the company for a data collector position instead. I was directed to view a video clip on their site. It detailed the Data Collector position and demonstrated major duties. Afterwards, I participated in a phone interview and was told I would need to do cold calling to find participants for survey and would need to collect biological specimens. That was dramatically different than the position I had applied for and I was disappointed with the obvious "bait and switch" tactic used by Westat,