Westat Interview Questions

Updated Jul 8, 2014

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Westat.

I started as SPS (Hourly/temp) and was not interviewed. A project needed temps ASAP so I was quickly recruited. They have you take some skills tests and training specific to the work you will be doing, and a typing test. They also require a background check. When you move to a new project once you are a Westat employee, you may be interviewed by that Project Director and other managers. I've been interviewed twice for new projects. It was with two or more managers and they ask what your interests are and if you would like to do the work they are asking you to do on that project. They ask about previous project work. Once they are done interviewing all candidates they email or call you to let you know if you were chosen and when they want you to start.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation....ever...when it comes to pay. You can negotiate your schedule.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Westat in June 2014.

Well I had a phone interview with Westat and am still in the interviewing process. The phone interview went smoothly. The interviewer contacted me on time, went through what the company was about, and asked me some questions. He then allowed me to answer my own questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer basically asked questions about my resume and what I did with each research project I undertook. So I would suggest brushing up on the details of your resume. He also asked me what makes me a good candidate for Westat. He also asked me what were my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    Well, I received a call later asking me to attend an in-person interview.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Westat.

I was contacted by HR. A series of four one-on-one interviews was scheduled. The series of interviews took 3.5 hours. The questions seemed straightforward to me, with a different emphasis for each interviewer; a mix of questions aimed getting to know each other, understanding my skills, explaining what the organization is like, and what the work would be like. I though the interview questions and approach were very reasonable and straightforward. I liked the people I met. The HR contact seemed good too.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had any special methods expertise, so that I could be included in contracts as a methods expert. I have a broad knowledge of methods but not a specific area of expertise. I thought this meant they would definitely not be able to use me, but they explained that people could also be included as contracts as content area experts, and that this content expertise could be developed on the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Reading, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, PA

I applied online - interviewed at Westat in July 2013.

2 Phone interviews that were relaxed and easy.

Interview Questions
    • The typical, tell me about something, blah blah blah....   Answer Question
    None. They told me what it paid and that was it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Westat in January 2010.

Initial contact after using website to send application was via telephone call. 30 min interview covering general interviewing questions: related experience, research background, best and worst career traits, etc, call ended in follow up in-person interview. Second interview held at Rockville headquarters, relaxed business atmosphere including attire. Project managers and coordinators who conduct interviewing process were all in business relaxed dress.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked if there were any problems or reasons that could cause inability to travel   Answer Question
    Offer was given to begin at hourly rate of 13, when negotiation began, they countered with being able to offer bonuses in other areas that would supplement the hourly rate.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Westat in March 2012.

I had a phone interview (approximately 50 minutes) and was then invited in for an in-person interview. My in-person interview was by far the longest and most excruciating I have ever had. At the time I applied the economy wasn't doing that great and, despite my qualifications, I just hadn't had a lot of luck with getting interviews. I accepted the job because they made it sound interesting, but had I had another option I would have not accepted after the grueling interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you stop working to go get a graduate degree in this economy?   View Answer
    The timing of the offer made it challenging to negotiate, but I did get them to agree to a $2k increase on their initial offer. Not much, but better than nothing!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dalton, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dalton, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Westat in June 2013.

I completed an on-line application, submitted a resume, and got a form email. Within two weeks, a field supervisor called and conducted an interview by phone. She explained that she would be the supervisor for my region (if I was hired). She was polite and professional, asking questions relating to my job experience, pay requirements, and reasons for wanting the position. She then gave me a formal, conditional job offer. Upon my acceptance of the job offer, I was required to complete a credit check and federal criminal-background check (rather complex, stressful because of time constraints). This requires very specific job-history dates and 3-4 each of professional and personal references. Westat provided tutorials and excellent phone-hotline support for the on-line process. Some tutorials were out of date, with slightly conflicting information (due to ever-changing government regulations). I had difficulty finding a local law-enforcement office to complete the paper ("rolled") fingerprinting, as some agencies only do digital prints. Later, I underwent a brief in-person interview with a police detective who traveled to my city by appointment. This part of the process is fairly routine, similar to the on-line questionnaire. I received a laptop and training manuals and completed several easy on-line quizzes on general-interviewing techniques. I signed and mailed documents and affidavits to the home office. I received a travel itinerary, training schedule, and contact numbers for the travel agency, which set up my reservations according to my own travel preferences. Airline tickets and the hotel room were prepaid by the company. Incidental travel expenses and mileage were out-of-pocket (reimbursable), most of which were paid as a per diem immediately upon arrival at registration. I presented employment documents in person, had my photo taken for an ID badge, and completed the two-week classroom training. Payment for training came quickly by electronic deposit.

Interview Questions
    • How would you organize before going out into the field?   View Answer
    There can be a little leeway in negotiating the base pay rate if a field interviewer has prior experience. The phone interview was pretty straightforward.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Westat.

Phone interview with HR followed by a 4 hour onsite interview with project supervisors. Most questions were about my previous work experience and how I handle juggling multiple tasks.

Interview Questions
    • One guy asked what my weakness was and then berated me after because he felt like I had more weaknesses but wasn't giving in? Very confusing.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Offer was very low but I was desperate for a job.

MCBS Field Interviewer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Westat in October 2013.

I had 2 telephone interviews and 1 I person inteview.

N/A

Assessment Administrator/Exam Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Andover, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Westat in December 2012.

Hiring process is lengthy, but reasonable. Extensive background checks are conducted and finger printing. Once hired, there is paid training, and opportunities to travel throughout the country. Training is very demanding, but pleasant. Great communication and follow ups with Supervisors. Initial interviews are conducted fairly locally, and on same day as other candidates.

Interview Questions
    There were no negotiations needed.

Worked for Westat? Contribute to the Community!