Westat Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

Traveled 7 hours at my own expense for the interview. A half hour before the interview, I received a call saying the time had been pushed back an hour. When I arrived, I had to wait an additional half hour before the interview began. The interview took 3 hours. I spoke with 5 different people, all of whom asked the same questions, mostly general questions about my resume. Following the interview, I heard nothing for 3 weeks before receiving a generic email telling me the position had been filled. I sent an email to the hiring manager requesting feedback on how I may have been a better candidate. After a week, the hiring manager responded with "We don't have any feedback." Disorganized, poorly managed interview process, low pay range, and stone-walling. Waste of time.

Locater/Interviewer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat.

I received a phone call. Was basically asked questions, the answers to which would have been very apparent from my resume. Interviewer seemed to want only short answers and at times talked over my answers. The interviewer aloso recited prepared paragraphs of info that had been collected in the application process. I did not receive an offer even though I have been doing the same kind of work for another large research company.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westat.

I completed an online application in October, but did not hear back about it until December, when I was asked to schedule a phone interview. I had a conference-style interview over the phone with two potential supervisors and their superior. They were primarily interested in my research experience, asking me to explain in more detail some of the projects outlined in my resume, and described the particular project I would be working on. The day after the interview, they called to schedule an in-person interview next month.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if I thought it would be difficult to transition from an academic to work setting, in terms of being on time every day, calling in sick if I was going to be out, etc. I thought this was a really strange question to ask, because most of what they seemed concerned with sounded like common sense.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Westat.

It was a long time ago. I just remember meeting with 4 people (vice president, and three area directors.) These were 4 individual interviews of about 1/2 hour each. I was moved from office to office.

Interview Questions
    • Why haven't you gotten your doctorate.   View Answer
    They indicated they have levels or pay grades (similar to GS numbers) that depend on education and experience. You are assigned to a grade and start at the bottom of the pay grade.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Westat in October 2014.

About a month after applying online, I had a phone screen with HR where they basically just asked salary requirements. This is when I found out the job did not pay much. Two weeks later, I spoke with someone that worked in the office and we reviewed my resume and she mentioned specific projects that she works on. Straightforward and informative. A week after that I had an in person interview. It was a series of three thirty minute interviews with people in the office and then two more thirty minute interviews via web cam. The whole process was tiring and repetitive but the questions were mainly resume based and not too tricky. I felt it went well and was told I would either hear from one of the people in the office or the recruiter within the next week. Two weeks later I hadn't heard from anyone. I emailed the recruiter. No response. I emailed the lady who I phone interviewed and later met in person and no response. After another week I called the recruiter and she did not pick up. I waited another week and finally heard from her via email saying she didn't know how the office wanted to proceed yet but would be in touch when she did. Another three weeks passed and no word. At this point I just needed to hear a solid no from her so I could move on. I emailed her and had to wait another week before receiving a generic response saying they chose someone else. They were great at communicating when I was early in the process but I did not appreciate the radio silence post-interview...it reflected very poorly on the company as a whole.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me specifically where else I had applied and at what point I was in the process at these places.   View Answer

Field Interviewer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westat in September 2014.

I was called the next day after I applied online. I did three 30 minute telephone interviews over the period of one week, then flown to HQ in Maryland for a 1 day for in person interview ( all expense paid trip by Westat). I was interviewed by three managers. Then one week after in person interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I had no difficult or unexpected question because I went into interview fully prepared.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a tiny increase in starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat.

I started as SPS (Hourly/temp) and was not interviewed. A project needed temps ASAP so I was quickly recruited. They have you take some skills tests and training specific to the work you will be doing, and a typing test. They also require a background check. When you move to a new project once you are a Westat employee, you may be interviewed by that Project Director and other managers. I've been interviewed twice for new projects. It was with two or more managers and they ask what your interests are and if you would like to do the work they are asking you to do on that project. They ask about previous project work. Once they are done interviewing all candidates they email or call you to let you know if you were chosen and when they want you to start.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation....ever...when it comes to pay. You can negotiate your schedule.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Westat in June 2014.

Well I had a phone interview with Westat and am still in the interviewing process. The phone interview went smoothly. The interviewer contacted me on time, went through what the company was about, and asked me some questions. He then allowed me to answer my own questions.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer basically asked questions about my resume and what I did with each research project I undertook. So I would suggest brushing up on the details of your resume. He also asked me what makes me a good candidate for Westat. He also asked me what were my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question
    Well, I received a call later asking me to attend an in-person interview.

Naep Help Desk Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Westat in June 2014.

I was simple and professional. Two interviewers asked a set of questions, each had one page of questions. Then the second part was to test your technical/customer service skills by using the live chat. The entire interview took 35-40 minutes. The questions were easy, no tricks.

Interview Questions
    • During the chat a customer will ask you a question and you have to resolve their problem. It can be stressful if you have no experience and you are being watched. But the question usually isn't very difficult. Always suspect a hardware problem before a software problem. The answer is usually too simple.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, everything is set by the staffing agency. You an negotiate a schedule that works for you. They usually hire a month before the job starts. Very low pay and no benefits or security.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

I was contacted by HR. A series of four one-on-one interviews was scheduled. The series of interviews took 3.5 hours. The questions seemed straightforward to me, with a different emphasis for each interviewer; a mix of questions aimed getting to know each other, understanding my skills, explaining what the organization is like, and what the work would be like. I though the interview questions and approach were very reasonable and straightforward. I liked the people I met. The HR contact seemed good too.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had any special methods expertise, so that I could be included in contracts as a methods expert. I have a broad knowledge of methods but not a specific area of expertise. I thought this meant they would definitely not be able to use me, but they explained that people could also be included as contracts as content area experts, and that this content expertise could be developed on the job.   Answer Question