Westat Interview Questions

Updated Jun 11, 2015

2.4

Field Interviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Westat.

Interview

Overall, the hiring process was not very intimidating. My future field supervisors interviewed me and was very sweet. They will verify recommendations. Just remember to be yourself and answer questions truthfully.

Interview Questions

• ?What kind of experience I had with survey assessments   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen, did an on site interview with leadership and staff members, and shortly after called about an offer. From the date I applied to the offer, it took around 6 weeks, they moved very quickly.

I ended up declining the position because the manager was very pushy and unprofessional and provided details after the fact that contradicted prior comments. I increasingly had a bad feeling this position/place throughout the post-interview/offer process. The most unprofessional thing was agreeing to reimburse me for travel expenses, which were high since I don't live in the area, but not doing so. I have since emailed HR 3 times, and they never respond to my calls or emails - obviously they do not stand behind their words and commitments. I do not recommend working/interviewing here unless you have money to burn, there are better research firms in the DC area

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult or surprising. They asked about my prior research experience and why I wanted to move to the area   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Westat (Rockville, MD) in April 2015.

Interview

Hired over the phone for low level field interviewer job. I made a couple of appointments with their staff via internet and we talked. Oddly enough, they weren't going to hire me because I was overqualified but then they changed their minds. The people who interviewed me were sort of nice which was not at all my experience with the company itself.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to explain why I wanted the job and other not too interesting questions. Perhaps the people who interviewed me could have given me a heads-up about what to expect.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Westat (Rockville, MD).

Interview

Traveled 7 hours at my own expense for the interview. A half hour before the interview, I received a call saying the time had been pushed back an hour. When I arrived, I had to wait an additional half hour before the interview began. The interview took 3 hours. I spoke with 5 different people, all of whom asked the same questions, mostly general questions about my resume. Following the interview, I heard nothing for 3 weeks before receiving a generic email telling me the position had been filled. I sent an email to the hiring manager requesting feedback on how I may have been a better candidate. After a week, the hiring manager responded with "We don't have any feedback." Disorganized, poorly managed interview process, low pay range, and stone-walling. Waste of time.

Interview Questions

• General questions about my resume   1 Answer

Locater/Interviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat.

Interview

I received a phone call. Was basically asked questions, the answers to which would have been very apparent from my resume. Interviewer seemed to want only short answers and at times talked over my answers. The interviewer aloso recited prepared paragraphs of info that had been collected in the application process. I did not receive an offer even though I have been doing the same kind of work for another large research company.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat in February 2015.

Interview

Phone screening with recruiter. Seemed very unprepared and the purpose was to go over the dates and degrees on my resume, which were also included in the application form you have to fill out. I was only asked three questions - two of which about salaries - which were probably just used to weed out candidates. Did not talk about the actual position at all.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter only asked me three questions?
      1) Why do you want to work here?
      2) What is your current salary?
      3) What are your salary expectations for this position.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Westat (Telephone, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

All on the phone. I was called and asked to do a phone interview on the spot. Then I talked with another field supervisor and felt pretty positive. I submitted references and they were checked. Then I heard absolutely nothing until I got a form e-mail saying I wasn't selected.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Westat.

Interview

I completed an online application in October, but did not hear back about it until December, when I was asked to schedule a phone interview. I had a conference-style interview over the phone with two potential supervisors and their superior. They were primarily interested in my research experience, asking me to explain in more detail some of the projects outlined in my resume, and described the particular project I would be working on. The day after the interview, they called to schedule an in-person interview next month.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I thought it would be difficult to transition from an academic to work setting, in terms of being on time every day, calling in sick if I was going to be out, etc. I thought this was a really strange question to ask, because most of what they seemed concerned with sounded like common sense.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Westat.

Interview

It was a long time ago. I just remember meeting with 4 people (vice president, and three area directors.) These were 4 individual interviews of about 1/2 hour each. I was moved from office to office.

Interview Questions

• Why haven't you gotten your doctorate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They indicated they have levels or pay grades (similar to GS numbers) that depend on education and experience. You are assigned to a grade and start at the bottom of the pay grade.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Westat in October 2014.

Interview

About a month after applying online, I had a phone screen with HR where they basically just asked salary requirements. This is when I found out the job did not pay much. Two weeks later, I spoke with someone that worked in the office and we reviewed my resume and she mentioned specific projects that she works on. Straightforward and informative. A week after that I had an in person interview. It was a series of three thirty minute interviews with people in the office and then two more thirty minute interviews via web cam. The whole process was tiring and repetitive but the questions were mainly resume based and not too tricky. I felt it went well and was told I would either hear from one of the people in the office or the recruiter within the next week. Two weeks later I hadn't heard from anyone. I emailed the recruiter. No response. I emailed the lady who I phone interviewed and later met in person and no response. After another week I called the recruiter and she did not pick up. I waited another week and finally heard from her via email saying she didn't know how the office wanted to proceed yet but would be in touch when she did. Another three weeks passed and no word. At this point I just needed to hear a solid no from her so I could move on. I emailed her and had to wait another week before receiving a generic response saying they chose someone else. They were great at communicating when I was early in the process but I did not appreciate the radio silence post-interview...it reflected very poorly on the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked me specifically where else I had applied and at what point I was in the process at these places.   1 Answer