Westat Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Westat.

Interview

I completed an online application in October, but did not hear back about it until December, when I was asked to schedule a phone interview. I had a conference-style interview over the phone with two potential supervisors and their superior. They were primarily interested in my research experience, asking me to explain in more detail some of the projects outlined in my resume, and described the particular project I would be working on. The day after the interview, they called to schedule an in-person interview next month.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I thought it would be difficult to transition from an academic to work setting, in terms of being on time every day, calling in sick if I was going to be out, etc. I thought this was a really strange question to ask, because most of what they seemed concerned with sounded like common sense.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Westat.

Interview

It was a long time ago. I just remember meeting with 4 people (vice president, and three area directors.) These were 4 individual interviews of about 1/2 hour each. I was moved from office to office.

Interview Questions

• Why haven't you gotten your doctorate.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They indicated they have levels or pay grades (similar to GS numbers) that depend on education and experience. You are assigned to a grade and start at the bottom of the pay grade.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Westat in October 2014.

Interview

About a month after applying online, I had a phone screen with HR where they basically just asked salary requirements. This is when I found out the job did not pay much. Two weeks later, I spoke with someone that worked in the office and we reviewed my resume and she mentioned specific projects that she works on. Straightforward and informative. A week after that I had an in person interview. It was a series of three thirty minute interviews with people in the office and then two more thirty minute interviews via web cam. The whole process was tiring and repetitive but the questions were mainly resume based and not too tricky. I felt it went well and was told I would either hear from one of the people in the office or the recruiter within the next week. Two weeks later I hadn't heard from anyone. I emailed the recruiter. No response. I emailed the lady who I phone interviewed and later met in person and no response. After another week I called the recruiter and she did not pick up. I waited another week and finally heard from her via email saying she didn't know how the office wanted to proceed yet but would be in touch when she did. Another three weeks passed and no word. At this point I just needed to hear a solid no from her so I could move on. I emailed her and had to wait another week before receiving a generic response saying they chose someone else. They were great at communicating when I was early in the process but I did not appreciate the radio silence post-interview...it reflected very poorly on the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers asked me specifically where else I had applied and at what point I was in the process at these places.   1 Answer

Field Interviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Westat in September 2014.

Interview

I was called the next day after I applied online. I did three 30 minute telephone interviews over the period of one week, then flown to HQ in Maryland for a 1 day for in person interview ( all expense paid trip by Westat). I was interviewed by three managers. Then one week after in person interview, I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• I had no difficult or unexpected question because I went into interview fully prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a tiny increase in starting salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Westat (Rockville, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

Took quite a bit of time. I was called in for a face-to-face interview and was offered the job about 4 weeks later. It was about 2 months total from interview to first day of work. The HR recruiter was very good about keeping contact with me and was available for questions. I met with both my task lead and the project director during my interview.

Interview Questions

• What is something I'm looking to do in the next 5 years   Answer Question

Negotiation

The company's offer was straightforward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Westat (Rockville, MD).

Interview

I started as SPS (Hourly/temp) and was not interviewed. A project needed temps ASAP so I was quickly recruited. They have you take some skills tests and training specific to the work you will be doing, and a typing test. They also require a background check. When you move to a new project once you are a Westat employee, you may be interviewed by that Project Director and other managers. I've been interviewed twice for new projects. It was with two or more managers and they ask what your interests are and if you would like to do the work they are asking you to do on that project. They ask about previous project work. Once they are done interviewing all candidates they email or call you to let you know if you were chosen and when they want you to start.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind doing this work?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation....ever...when it comes to pay. You can negotiate your schedule.

Field Interviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Westat (Baton Rouge, LA) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was over the phone and very brief. It lasted no longer than 15 minutes and they provided an offer of employment immediately after the interview process so there was no waiting.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel you can contribute to the company   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the pay because the offer was reasonable for a part-time position. I believe the pay was fair and they paid you for training which consisted of flying you to their location and flying you back (round trip).

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Westat in June 2014.

Interview

Well I had a phone interview with Westat and am still in the interviewing process. The phone interview went smoothly. The interviewer contacted me on time, went through what the company was about, and asked me some questions. He then allowed me to answer my own questions.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer basically asked questions about my resume and what I did with each research project I undertook. So I would suggest brushing up on the details of your resume. He also asked me what makes me a good candidate for Westat. He also asked me what were my strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Well, I received a call later asking me to attend an in-person interview.

Naep Help Desk Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Westat in June 2014.

Interview

I was simple and professional. Two interviewers asked a set of questions, each had one page of questions. Then the second part was to test your technical/customer service skills by using the live chat. The entire interview took 35-40 minutes. The questions were easy, no tricks.

Interview Questions

• During the chat a customer will ask you a question and you have to resolve their problem. It can be stressful if you have no experience and you are being watched. But the question usually isn't very difficult. Always suspect a hardware problem before a software problem. The answer is usually too simple.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, everything is set by the staffing agency. You an negotiate a schedule that works for you. They usually hire a month before the job starts. Very low pay and no benefits or security.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Westat.

Interview

I was contacted by HR. A series of four one-on-one interviews was scheduled. The series of interviews took 3.5 hours. The questions seemed straightforward to me, with a different emphasis for each interviewer; a mix of questions aimed getting to know each other, understanding my skills, explaining what the organization is like, and what the work would be like. I though the interview questions and approach were very reasonable and straightforward. I liked the people I met. The HR contact seemed good too.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I had any special methods expertise, so that I could be included in contracts as a methods expert. I have a broad knowledge of methods but not a specific area of expertise. I thought this meant they would definitely not be able to use me, but they explained that people could also be included as contracts as content area experts, and that this content expertise could be developed on the job.   Answer Question