Westat

38 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Clerk/Data Entry Interview

Interviewed at Westat

Interview Details – I found the position on a site posting telecommuting jobs. The job was basically data entry of the information gathered by the researchers. I answered an on line survey of basic skill questions and wrote a cover letter. I was notified 5 days later that the position had been filled.

Interview Question – All questions were standard.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Westat.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call the next day to set up a phone interview for the following day. Was mostly just a preliminary screening asking about my research experience and them talking about Westat. Scheduled an on-site interview for the next week. Met with HR first and went over benefits then was sent to a conference room for a panel interview with 5 members of the team I would be working with. Mostly asked about my research again and some behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you.
What are things you need to work on and why.
  Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Data Collector At Home Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Westat.

Interview Details – I applied online then received a call after meeting all requirements of the position. A brief job description was given and an offer was made.

Interview Question – Would you like to try one (of our studies)?   Answer Question

Telephone Interviewer Interview

Telephone Interviewer
Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Westat in July 2009.

Interview Details – HR called me because I had applied for an unrelated position 3 months earlier through MD DLLR's site. There was a general interview and I was tested on my computer and microsoft office skills. About a week later, HR called me back for a second interview. I interviewed with the Project Mngr and a Dept Mngr. I didn't have any questions for them, and they had several positions open so they talked more about the project than the positions. I still got the job despite a roughly 20 min interview and walking out feeling ignorant.

Interview Question – This was a potentially 20 year project and they asked if I would be alright with that. Other interviews I've had for later projects that I was a telephone interviewer for asked me to read a script on the spot and my understanding policies and procedures of related clients and topics.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I felt like I had no ground since the economy was terrible and I'd been unemployed for a while. I took what I was offered but I'd encourage other applicants to ask for a benefits package sooner - I had to wait 6 months and my understanding is that is something they may be flexible on.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Westat in March 2009.

Interview Details – very detailed and without delay

Interview Question – what are your weakness and what makes u qualify   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none, just had to accept what was offered

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Rockville, MD

I applied online and interviewed at Westat.

Interview Details – I had about a six hour on-site interview with a number of project directors in the department I was hired for.

Interview Question – They were behavioral interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Data Management Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Westat

Interview Details – Interviewed first with HR specialist, then three senior data managers. Questions were generic enough. Talked more about themselves than asking interview questions. Took over two hours in maze of a building.

Interview Question – Nothing really, just generic interview questions.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Westat in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call a few days later to set up a phone interview. After the phone interview I was informed that I would be flown in for an in-person interview. I had two group interviews with the team I would be working with. The questions were all relevant and straightforward - no BS "tell me your greatest weakness" stuff. After the interviews I was taken out for lunch. All in all it was a good experience. A week or so later I was called to do another interview over video - this was with a company VP who heads the department that was hiring. This was a casual friendly chat because the VP had not been able to attend the phone or in-person interviews.

Interview Question – If you weren't following this career trajectory, what would you do with your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A few weeks after I was interviewed I was called with an offer. We agreed upon a start date. I had low-balled my salary requirements not knowing much about the company or cost of living in the area when I applied. I told them this during my final interview and was assured that they would give a fair offer. I was offered about 10k more than I asked for originally, which was fair and in the middle of my pay grade range. I also asked for and received moving costs that included airfare and moving my stuff from Seattle to DC. Further, I was given corporate accommodations for the first month I was here and was looking for a place to live.

Protocol Coordinator Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Westat.

Interview Details – HR phone screen followed by In Person Interview

Interview Question – Questions were all pretty easy. If you know your subject matter you shouldn't have a problem here. What interests you most about this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Research Data Manager Interview

Rockville, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Westat.

Interview Details – My initial communication with HR was very pleasant and professional. A few weeks later, I had an in-person interview which was delayed because one of the people I would be working with was out of town. A phone interview was set up with this individual for the day after my in-person interview. In the biggest display of unprofessional behavior that I have ever seen, not only was I not called at the specified time by this individual, but when I called and emailed HR that day to let them know what happened, I never received a response from them either. Situations like these communicate a lot about the culture of a company and the respect they have for their potential and current employees.

Interview Question – No questions were particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Westat