Westat

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.2

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Westat.

I started as SPS (Hourly/temp) and was not interviewed. A project needed temps ASAP so I was quickly recruited. They have you take some skills tests and training specific to the work you will be doing, and a typing test. They also require a background check. When you move to a new project once you are a Westat employee, you may be interviewed by that Project Director and other managers. I've been interviewed twice for new projects. It was with two or more managers and they ask what your interests are and if you would like to do the work they are asking you to do on that project. They ask about previous project work. Once they are done interviewing all candidates they email or call you to let you know if you were chosen and when they want you to start.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation....ever...when it comes to pay. You can negotiate your schedule.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

Applied online and received a call the next day to set up a phone interview for the following day. Was mostly just a preliminary screening asking about my research experience and them talking about Westat. Scheduled an on-site interview for the next week. Met with HR first and went over benefits then was sent to a conference room for a panel interview with 5 members of the team I would be working with. Mostly asked about my research again and some behavioral questions, nothing too difficult. Still waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you.
      What are things you need to work on and why.

Answer Question

Telephone Research Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Westat in June 2013.

I found the Telephone Research Center position on the Westat website as I was submitting applications for higher salaried positions that I qualify for. There was a brief telephone interview. After the interview there was a simple online test for reading and English comprehension. After hire they will do a background check of your criminal record.

No negotiation for this $8/hr job (day shift). You take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Westat.

I had about a six hour on-site interview with a number of project directors in the department I was hired for.

Research Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Westat.

My initial communication with HR was very pleasant and professional. A few weeks later, I had an in-person interview which was delayed because one of the people I would be working with was out of town. A phone interview was set up with this individual for the day after my in-person interview. In the biggest display of unprofessional behavior that I have ever seen, not only was I not called at the specified time by this individual, but when I called and emailed HR that day to let them know what happened, I never received a response from them either. Situations like these communicate a lot about the culture of a company and the respect they have for their potential and current employees.

Research Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online – interviewed at Westat in July 2012.

I got a phone call from someone in HR wanting to ask "preliminary questions", but clueless as to which position she was calling about (I'd applied to more than one position there). The rep asked me about 6 questions and the phone call lasted about 10 minutes. She was very cheerful and polite. She ended by saying she would forward my information to the hiring manager and if like me, they'd contact me to schedule an in-person interview.

The next day, the rep called back saying they would like to interview me in a week and a half. The call was followed by a detailed but ambiguous email with directions and instructions (they asked me to bring my reference page). I went to the interview (still not knowing what position I was interviewing for because the rep still didn't know). I met with 5 different people and the entire process lasted three hours. They said they would contact me for a second interview if I was a good fit. Two days later, I found out (from my references) that they were checking my references.

Two weeks later I got a letter in the mail...rejected.

The interview questions were based on my resume about my past positions and experiences. The people I interviewed with were very warm and friendly.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Westat in January 2012.

An HR rep contacted me about a month after I applied. She went over a few questions with me such as salary requirement and possible starting dates. She also asked me to send her a writing sample. A couple of days later she called to set up an on-site interview with some people from the department I would be working in.

The interview lasted several hours. My initial meeting was with the HR woman I spoke to on the phone. She went over an extensive benefits guide and gave me some other materials about Westat. Then she walked me across the campus to meet with the research staff. The first panel interview consisted of 3 department heads. They claimed they were very eager to hire someone and wanted someone to start as soon as possible. They asked mostly 'big picture' questions about my overall experience. I then had two more panel interviews; each panel consisted of 3 research staff of all levels. They asked more detailed questions about my experiences as a researcher, but some of them also seemed bored - like this was just something they had to be doing. None of the interviews asked any outlandish questions or questions that I could not answer or that made me uncomfortable. In total I was at Westat for about 3 hours.

HR said they would contact me the following week. I got a call the next week and was told they were still conducting interviews. I never heard from HR again, but I did receive an auto-generated email about 3 weeks later indicating that they had decided not to fill the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Westat in December 2011.

The interview process was standard and similar to other companies. Interviews were held with different staff so it required travelling to different buildings on campus. I found the interview with HR the most beneficial.
    One thing I did not like, I applied for a position online months prior to being selected for an interview. When I was selected for an interview it was not for the position for which I had applied.

Interview Questions
    • The standard question were asked. There was nothing unusual, difficult or unexpected during the interview.   Answer Question

Senior Study Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Westat in October 2011.

Found the position listed on Craigslist. Went to company website - careers to upload a resume and cover letter.

Was called 3 days later by a staffing company associate (no commission - company on retainer). After 37 minute interview, told that I would be called in about a week to arrange for a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is your experience with project management?   View Answer
    • What is your experience with government RFPs and contracts?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Westat in June 2011.

I filled out an application online and heard back from Westat very quickly. They gave me an interview for a month later. At the interview first there was a brief informational interview with an HR represtentative. Then there was an hour long group panel in-person interview followed by an hour long Webex interview over the internet with offsite staff. It was hard to tell who I would actually be working with if hired and how repetitive to be during the interview since so many people were involved in the interviewing and it was done in 3 segments. The interview lasted about 2 hours total. Then 2 days later I had another phone interview and was offered the job 2 business days later.

Interview candidates should be ready to elaborate on everything in their resume since the primary interview structure was reading off your resume and asking you about your experiences with that as a starting point of conversation.

Interview Questions
    • What were the findings of your research in the research lab?   Answer Question
    I accepted the first offer I was given.