Western Asset Management

Western Asset Management Interview Questions

2.9

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I was interviewed for summer intern and then hired as full-time employee.. Interview process was quite intriguing and extensive. Initially was contacted from HR after filtering College intern resumes and then almost went through 8 different interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to describe solution for business solution for huge data manipulation. Was able to answer it vaguely.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Western Asset Management.

Internal Recruiter Sandy followed up on my resume, submitted 1 month prior. We did a phone conversation and she planned for me to meet the hiring manager Stevey. The hiring manager was less than prompt in getting back to me for an interview time that worked. Within 2 weeks, I interviewed over the phone, simply talking about my past work experiences. At the end of the interview, Stevey invited me to come to Pasadena and meet the other team during a formal interview. 2 weeks later, I interviewed at headquarters in Pasadena. HR was organized and gave me a 3 hour agenda. Indeed, I met 6 people in 3 hours. 5 of the 6 liked me but the lady who I was replacing did not show consistent support of my candidacy. While that part was more of a political observation, I was told by Stevey that if any of the interviewers oppose your candidacy that you most likely won't be hired.

Interview Questions
    • An easy question for me was - What is duration of a bond? However I was unfamiliar when i they asked me about their sub-advisory consultant relationships.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Asset Management in March 2014.

Applied through the company website and was contacted by HR. The initial phone screening covered basic job qualifications and salary requirements. Was invited for in-person interviews the following week. I met with four members of the team - a supervisor and three peers. The process took three hours. Followed up two weeks and later and learned that the position was filled by an internal transfer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding the bond market and major market trends.   Answer Question

Investment Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Asset Management in February 2014.

The position was presented to me through a staffing agency. The interview process was very fast and I received an offer within 24 hours. The interview lasted several hours and you will meet with all the important managers in the department. They asked about your overall experience and you need to list numerous weaknesses you have, more than 3.

Interview Questions
    • - Name your biggest weaknesses, more than 3
      - What is your knowledge of bonds

View Answer
    The staffing agency provided the pay rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Asset Management in June 2013.

Phone interview is technical, in-person is easy.

Didn't negotiate.

Summer Intern, Analytics and Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Asset Management in March 2012.

Two rounds of interviews.
    First round is HR interview. Ask you about your knowledge in the firm, why you are interested in doing fixed income, your exchange experiences in the US. Very nice HR and a very happy interview.
    Second round is interview from the risk management team. Questions are more technical, including the bond duration, valuation of MBS securities, programming, etc. After the questions the interviewer talked about the firm and the internship program. It is a well-structured program and I got impressed by the firm.
    I got the offer after one week and accepted it.

Business Analyst, Settlement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Western Asset Management in January 2012.

Initial phone interview with the recruiter to screen my qualifications for the position - company was highly recommended so I was looking forward to the call. Casual call where the recruiter asked me about my current role as a senior analyst and my background, if any, in finance/accounting. Then advised me he would forward my resume to the hiring manager for review. A couple days later I received an email that the hiring manager had passed on my resume as I didn't have a strong background in fixed income investments knowledge and settlements/fund accounting experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience at the single financial services company you've worked at, back in 2002....   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Asset Management in January 2012.

Received a call from HR. After 20 minute interview, HR advised that my resume will be passed to the hiring manager. Received an interview call the next day. Received a call from HR few hours after 2nd round interview with a request to run a background and references check. 5 days later, received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Make sure you read the job description and match what the company is looking for.   Answer Question
    Gave a set number; wouldn't negotiate. Low compensation, good benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Asset Management in May 2011.

Everything was very well organized. I first met and interviewed with a representative from Human Resources who had a printed out agenda ready for me. The person asked me general questions (What do you know about the firm? Tell me about your experiences, etc).

I interviewed with the hiring managers who asked me detailed questions about my resume, skill sets, technical background, etc.

They firm emphasizes a team-oriented approach pretty heavily.

Business Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Western Asset Management in March 2010.

I am not sure about the hiring process. I was given a call and informed that i was going to have a phone interview. We scheduled a date and time and they had promptly called. But it was a mess after that point. The interviewer had the wrong resume and it took time to put his hand on my resume and by that time the stipulated time had been almost over. We briefly discussed the academic projects that I have worked on and further on an under graduate project which had no relevance to the position i was applying. I pretty much knew that it was not going to work out which I was able to confirm with the interviewer before hanging up.

Interview Questions
    • What is a Business process development?   View Answer