Western Dental Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Business Intelligence Analyst
Orange, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Dental Services in April 2014.

Interview Details – HR questions: they have a list to ask you whether you have the following skills and score your skills

Patient Care Coordinator Interview

Patient Care Coordinator

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Dental Services in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and within a few days I got as call for an interview. I was taken into an office where the interview took place within 5 minutes of getting there. Two people interviewed me, one of which was true branch manager. They were both friendly and outgoing. The interview was simple, they had me walk them through my resume, and the basic questions about strengths, weaknesses and why I am a good candidate...

Interview Question – No tough questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they talk about what you want for pay during the interview and they determine what they feel is the right pay in your offer letter.

Very Easy Interview

Dental Assistant Interview

Dental Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western Dental Services in May 2013.

Interview Details – They really just asked me what I did for my externship because I didn't have any experience, I haven't been in a dental office in 3 yrs. after I graduated but they still hired me. But I'm glad they did.

Interview Question – None I was only interviewed for about 5min. tops, I was really surprised they hired me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I went for the entry level pay because I had no experience.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dentist Interview

Dentist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Dental Services.

Interview Details – Submitted application on their website. Received a call from the regional manager whom asked me to come in the same day.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary was asked.   Answer Question

Corporate Position Interview

Corporate Position

Interview Details – Phone screen, then in person interview.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult questions   Answer Question

Business Manager Interview

Business Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Dental Services.

Interview Details – I saw the opening in careerbuilder.com and I "applied". About two weeks later I received an email from WD stating to apply on their personal website which I did. About a week or more later I received an email stating interest in me and requesting I call to set up a phone interview (almost like a screening process). About two weeks later (holidays around that time) I received a call from corporate asking to meet for a 1:1 interview with a regional manager. Met with that manager for about 30 minutes where she asked questions about managing staff, my education, my salary requirements and why I left my previous job; finally she stated I would hear from her via text (different) about meeting with a VP the following day. Met with the VP and another business manager and killed it in the interview and a week after that I received a call stating I had gotten the job. I would say rough estimate I applied 12/10/12 and received the offer second week of january.

Interview Question – What makes you different from all other candidates?
How would you address an unruly or underperforming employee?
How would you motivate and ensure employees are meeting goals?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They sent a contract over via email which details the pay (salary + bonuses). They do ask what you are looking to make in first interview.

Horrible Interview Process Interview

Horrible Interview Process
Orange, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Dental Services.

Interview Details – I had a horrible experience from beginning to end with this company. The recruiter called and conducted a 10 minute phone interview. I was told she was going to speak with the hiring manager about setting up an actual face to face interview and be back to me. A few days later she called back and said they would like to meet me. We agreed to a day that would work for all parties and was told an email would be my way with directions and who I would meet with. A day had passed and we were into the weekend with no response. I called on that following Monday twice and left a message. I called again Tuesday and left a message and mirrored this same effort all week long with no reply. Eventually I gave up on the interview and cancelled my time off request with my current employer. No sooner after retracting my time off request I finally received a call back from the recruiter with news that the email was sent with less than 24hrs to prepare. Plus the job description was lacking information needed to really get a grasp on their daily routines but figured with the 15 plus years I have as being a manager for a similar business model I would do fine. So I thought….

I made it to my interview 20 minutes early and was greeted by one of two people I was to interview with. I will call this person “orange.” I was taken to an office whereby I was greeted by a gentleman I will call “White.” Orange started off by sharing how they had been with the company for less than a year and worked alongside White. I really felt a connection with Orange whom I would say was completely professional, kind, and outgoing. Orange shared their career and who they managed in the call center and expressed business was great. Orange then turned the conversation over to their counterpart and I was shocked by White’s unprofessionalism out of the gate. It wasn’t difficult to see that White was agitated by being asked to speak about himself and the company. He had a long pause as if he was caught off guard? I could even sense the person who introduced him was a bit uneasy. So he briefly explained how he came from a Fortune 100 company and what he was responsible for at Western Dental. The questions were very typical interview questions: tell me about yourself, your weaknesses, how you plan your day. Then when I thought we were on track White started to share his dislikes with his current boss. On more than one occasion this guy mentions his boss micromanages him. He even felt like sharing a few examples of call stats down to a call center agent and how it drove him crazy with the questions from his own boss. White was up and down with emotion and a few times I felt like this was “his soap box interview.” My mind was racing and I kept thinking, “This is unstable.” As you can imagine, I felt terrible for Orange in this interview and they kept trying to keep the interview on track but White kept up with his unprofessional behavior. At one point he asked me a question that I felt I answered well and the guy cut me off in midsentence with a heavy sigh, “that’s not what I meant?" Followed by a condescending “can you tell me how you prepared for this interview today?” This interview had derailed long before I ever got a change to speak and it was all I could take. I kindly entertained his condescending question followed by the lack of consideration his recruiting department had for me and my time to prepare. As well, I wanted to tackle his unprofessionalism but took the higher road instead, got up shook his hand and thanked him for his time. That fast the interview was over and in my mind I thought, “Show me out of here!” Orange walked me back to the door and I could tell they were shaken by the interview but parted on a courteous handshake and a timeline of hearing back from them. Believe me the undertone in which Orange spoke to me screamed how much they wanted to say sorry for the interview process but didn’t.

In my humble opinion managers that behave this way destroy companies. The reason he is being micromanaged is simple, the guy is in over his head and more than likely falling short of his responsibilities. I have been in good cop, bad cop situations before and this was not being played out; White had no right acting the way he did much less sharing internal struggles he is having with his own boss. Clearly he is unhappy with his choice of workplace and hopefully he will do Western Dental the kind gesture of moving on. I am disappointed with my interview but thankful I was fortunate enough to bypass what could have been a mistake had an offer been made.

Very Easy Interview

Regional Vice President Operations Interview

Regional Vice President Operations
Orange, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Dental Services.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with HR first then a one on one with the VP of operations. Was the strangest interview I've ever had. He asked me to walk him through my resume and immediately looked at his watch and said to me "I'm just looking to see how much time we have." What? Really? He didn't put the interview on his schedule for at least an hour which is appropriate for a VP position. As soon as I walked him though my resume he proceeded to tell me what the chain of command looked like. I knew then and there I did not have the job. It was such a waste of my time that he did not ask any questions of my skills and experience beyond my resume. I would have expected situational questions and business acumen questions, etc. Nothing. The interview was over in 15 mins. He also walked me out of the office to the reception area and was at the door but did not open it for me. I actually had to reach past him to open the door. Was a very strange experience to say the least.

Interview Question – No questions by VP. HR woman did ask what my philosophy is on customer service. I had never been posed the question that way. It was a good question phased that way and I also use it now when I'm interviewing.   Answer Question

Benefits Division Assistant Interview

Benefits Division Assistant
Orange, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Dental Services in December 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the Benefits Division Assistant position at Western Dental through Monster on a Friday, and was called to ask questions about my skills and qualifications the following Tuesday. I was told to wait for a phone call that would come the next day to schedule an interview.

The company was very accommodating in scheduling my interview. It seemed that they were almost finished with the process and wanted to squeeze me in at the very end of it. I was still employed at another establishment, and would have been glad to take a day off for the interview, but unfortunately the most convenient day for them to interview me was the next day (Thursday), which was my company's holiday get-away. Being part-time, I was not eligible for the trip and was needed at the office to process mail, requests, and phone calls in everyone's absence (we had 4 people manning a 25-man office). I offered Friday, but that was their company holiday. So my interview took place the next Monday.

My interview was supposed to be with two people: the Director of Operations and the Chief Operating Officer. However, the COO was busy in a telephone conference, so I was only interviewed by the DOO. The COO stepped in to greet me and introduce himself, and that was it. There was no HR manager or recruiting officer involved in the interview process--these two people would work directly with the person hired. The position was newly created, and the work duties were administrative with added responsibilities and written communication skills (which were the two main things I was looking for in a job).

Thankfully, this company didn't use cliche interview questions. I was asked about myself, my skills, and given the opportunity to ask questions. The DOO was very nice and answered my questions thoroughly. The interview only lasted about thirty minutes, and my resume and contacts were not requested (I was told to bring copies for them), so I left them at the front desk on my way out and assumed that meant I wouldn't be offered the job. I did not get the job, but I don't know for certain if that was determined during my interview.

Overall, I had a pleasant interview experience with Western Dental. It was my first real interview in 6 years, so I was a bit nervous and didn't say everything I wanted to, but the DOO was very pleasant and the relaxed, conversational format of the interview calmed my nerves.

Interview Questions

Office Manager Interview

Office Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Dental Services in September 2009.

Interview Details – Started with a phone interview, then a lengthy wait before being contacted for an in-person interview. In-person interview was pleasant and low-stress, very conversational. Received a written offer and employment contract one week afterwards; exactly two weeks before the company-assigned start date.

Interview Question – What do you see yourself bringing to Western Dental that no other applicant, of the hundreds we'll see, can?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating; the offer is what it is, and if you don't like it, they'll move on to someone else.

Worked for Western Dental Services? Contribute to the Community!