Western Digital

2.1

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in December 2013.

I was a temp. so it went well.

Engineer Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital.

Received a telephone screening. Then received a phone call in 2 days about scheduling a 1:1 interview. When I arrived on campus, I met with 4 interviews. 1 with HR. 2 with managers of quality of assurance. And I would finally meet with the director of analytics. Mainly, they asked me questions on my background surrounding my resume. Furthermore, they provided me some background about the job position and company. Last, the director of analytics asked me some technical questions in statistics and some hypothetical situation about design of experiments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Digital.

Got my resume forwarded by a friend inside the company. Interview was very simple unlike other company interviews I have attended. Just need to know what you have put on your resume. No talk/presentation expected.

Quite flexible.

Senior Principal Process Engineer (Failure Analysis) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Western Digital in January 2013.

Got a phone call from a HR person, who scheduled the interview for 3 business days from the time of initial call. Interviewed with 8 people; I had been a list of their names and positions in the company, but it turned out to be outdated, and the first person who interviewed me had already been promoted to VP (which I didn't know at the time I talked to him)! They talked to me essentially in the order of their seniority of rank, hiring manager was 3rd.

Most of the interviewer asked me about my previous work, for which I had some slides to show them. They were mostly very friendly, except one guy who seemed confrontational and constantly was trying to find fault with my (technical) comments and asked to SEE my papers (I only had my publication list with only one paper with me). One guy, who was very friendly and chatty, didn't ask me a single question, but instead talked for all the time about the financial well-being of the company, and how he predicted it to grow in the next year, and also nagged a lot about his frustration with some of the process engineers who work on the production line that he had to deal with. All of them emphasized that working at the company could be quite an intense experience and very fast paced. Only a couple of them gave me their business cards; the rest said they didn't have any with them.

The last person to talk to me in the interview was the HR person that I had talked to on the phone. He marketed the compensation package, the insurance, etc. offered by the company, but surprisingly seemed to know a lot about the technical aspects of the work and describe some of the company's upcoming products to me.

Interview Questions
    • If you present your technical results to an audience, and they refuse to accept it, what would you do?   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Western Digital in January 2013.

Got a phone interview and was asked to go to Fremont site 2 days later. I made a 30 min presentation on the interview day about what I have done, then talked to 6 people in 3 hours.
    They mainly focus on the resume and asked several technique questions. Very friendly people and a nice experience. They are in hire freeze now, no offer made yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Digital in December 2012.

Easy. The hiring manager was eager to get someone. People are leaving this company, and new comers are necessary to keep the group operational.

Interview Questions
    • As everybody believe that this hard drive business is dying out, why do you want to join?   View Answer
    no negotiation.

Failure Analysis Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2012.

Mainly just asked behavioral questions, very basic technical question (give an example of a differential equation), very easy going and friendly

QA - Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Digital in September 2011.

I was interviewed by four different people, it was a good experience. but there was a communication gap between the HR and the people interviewing me, coz I was told after a week that this position never existed--- well then why was I interviewed in first place!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in July 2010.

The hiring process was fast and easy. Scheduled after the phone interview. No presentation is needed for fresh applicant from academia. Interview consisted 4-5 one on one meetings and lasted half day.

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

Half day process. 1. meeting with hiring manager. 2 meeting with 3-4 colleagues, 3. meeting with the HR to wrap up. 30 minutes for each interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult technical questions for you if you are in the "circle" of magnetic recording. People have to show team spirit, tolerance of the possible extra working hours and motivation for this job.   Answer Question