Western Digital Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2014
119 interviews

2.9

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Digital in January 2014.

Interview was scheduled a day after I submitted my resume through Taleo. Interviewed with HR and 2 managers, very straightforward questions, no tricks or behavioral. More questions about experience and how I would contribute the the position at hand.

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in November 2013.

Process was easy, 2 interviews in the row, great people, great atmosphere. Served food during 2 interviews, questions was easy, no surprises. I personally request to ask me more technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Western Digital in March 2012.

So initially I submitted my resume to Western Digital. Western Digital then usually emails you to setup phone screen with the hiring manager. In the phone screen the hiring manager asks questions about projects that you have worked on and also some technical questions. Make sure you know your resume. If that goes well then an onsite interview will happen. In that onsite interview you get to meet with the hiring manager along with some engineers on the team. First they usually give you a test to take within an hour time frame. This test material is related to the job itself. After the test is done then you sit in a conference room and get drilled with technical questions from multiple engineers. These questions usually consist of standard programming questions along with testing questions etc. These questions will depend on the position

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question had to do with a programming question I was given.   Answer Question
    Once you get the job you will get email stating base salary you will be given. This depends on your level of education and job experience. Generally salaries are non-negotiable unless you have an offer from another company. If so then WD may or may not match the offer.

Firmware Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2014.

interviewed with 3 hiring managers. they were all from the same group but were in charge of different responsibilities. such as writing test code, merging test code, running test. very simple interview questions, know your resume, be prepared to speak about projects and previous experiences

Senior Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

Combination of one on one interview and group interview. There are general questions like tell me about yourself, what did you do in previous job, why do you want to work here. People ask pretty technical questions, many specific to processing and metrology. Not a lot of behavior type of questions. People are not trained on interviewing and interviews are not planned and organized like places such as Intel or AMAT.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the read write head fabrication process. This is very hard for people outside the thin film head business as it is a unique device to itself, unlike IC process or any MEMS device. It's very complex with dozens of masks   View Answer
    Not much negotiation. Offer based on previous salary.

FEA Analysis Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in February 2014.

Met with 9 persons including department director and division manger. Each about half an hour. All fundamental questions about mechanics, vibration, and FEA.

Staff Engineer Mechanical Interview

takes really long time. get the offer after around 2 months of the interview.

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Western Digital in August 2010.

Within standard

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to be alarmed just as long you know your previous experience   Answer Question

Failure Analysis Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2012.

Mainly just asked behavioral questions, very basic technical question (give an example of a differential equation), very easy going and friendly

Firmware Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in October 2011.

I received a phone call from HR to schedule an onsite interview. I was told that an interview scheduler would contact me for confirmation of the interview. The interview scheduler emailed me afterwards and i responded to confirm the time. I was supposed to receive directions for the day of the interview, but the interview scheduler never responded. I emailed the interview scheduler the morning before the interview to make sure that I am still scheduled for an interview. She then sent me the directions and the schedule of my interview. I interviewed with the HR for 15 minutes and then 1 hour with the senior principle engineer and the engineer manager.

Interview Questions
    • The interview focused on my background and skills, no technical questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!