Western Digital

Getting the Interview

113 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

FEA Analysis Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in February 2014.

Interview Details – Met with 9 persons including department director and division manger. Each about half an hour. All fundamental questions about mechanics, vibration, and FEA.

Staff Engineer Mechanical Interview

Interviewed at Western Digital

Interview Details – takes really long time. get the offer after around 2 months of the interview.

Interview Question – All technical questions. No behavior questions at all   Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Western Digital in August 2010.

Interview Details – Within standard

Interview Question – Nothing to be alarmed just as long you know your previous experience   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Failure Analysis Intern Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2012.

Interview Details – Mainly just asked behavioral questions, very basic technical question (give an example of a differential equation), very easy going and friendly

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult   Answer Question

Firmware Intern Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in October 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from HR to schedule an onsite interview. I was told that an interview scheduler would contact me for confirmation of the interview. The interview scheduler emailed me afterwards and i responded to confirm the time. I was supposed to receive directions for the day of the interview, but the interview scheduler never responded. I emailed the interview scheduler the morning before the interview to make sure that I am still scheduled for an interview. She then sent me the directions and the schedule of my interview. I interviewed with the HR for 15 minutes and then 1 hour with the senior principle engineer and the engineer manager.

Interview Question – The interview focused on my background and skills, no technical questions.   Answer Question

Principal Firmware Engineer Interview

Principal Firmware Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview Details – first get call interview, one people asked me several technical questions. Then got the invitation for onsite interview. There are 5 interviewers in the panel interview. Each one asked me questions in turn, around 3 for each. Then I get the offer several days later

Interview Question – Then asked how to draw a design diagram for a home appliance. It takes me almost 40 minutes to complete   Answer Question

Fit-U Engineer Interview

Fit-U Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in February 2014.

Interview Details – Talked to recruiter at college career fair. Didn't hear back from them until received an email with a test a couple weeks later. 90 minute test for EECEs. If you do well enough you are invited on campus for an interview day within 2 weeks.

Interview day seemed more of a test of desire/fit. Asked questions more about why you are here,what you like. Some questions on coding logic, some PCB knowledge. Overall seemed more towards finding best fit rather than proving self. Interviewed with maybe 10 others, heard only a couple got offers. Interviewed with 4 different people, various get to know you conversations

Interview Question – Tell me about different sort algorithms. Tell me about this PCB (hard drive)   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview Details – Emails, interview, not a lot of technical questions

Negotiation Details – was no negotiation phase

Software Engineer - Automation Test Intern Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by HR and was told to applied online based on a employee referral. I was contacted again 2 or 3 weeks later to schedule a in person interview. The interview process took one day and consist of 5 1:1 interview, which composed of 4 engineer and 1 management.

Interview Question – A lot of algorithm based question.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Firmware Engineer Interview

Firmware Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and got called in for a on site interview, the interview lasted for 3 hours and was interviewed by 6 people, half hour each. The first two of them went well but rest 4 were really bad.

Interview Question – even though knowing that i was from Electrical Engineering background they kept asking me core computer science algorithms which i didn't had much answer to.
I don't remember exactly the questions but it was some hardcore algorithm they wanted me to come up with.
  View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Digital

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western Digital interview questions and advice. All 113 interview reviews posted anonymously by Western Digital employees and interview candidates.