Western Digital Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

2.8

IT Tech Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Interview with supervisor (job briefing) - took about 30 minutes

Interview with 2 potential co-workers (technical interview) - took about 30 minutes

Interview with Manager (personal interview) - 1 hour

All the interviews were really casual and chill. I was only nervous because it was my first interview after graduating college. Even though I felt like I didn't do great on the interviews, they were still willing to give me an opportunity. Most new hires will start off as temporary-to-perm conditions, unless they really want you.

Interview Questions

• Typical technical questions relating to IT.

What are your future goals in this field?

Answer Question

Staff Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital (San Jose, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

from 9am to 5pm, start with an hour presentation, then 2 one on one section with director and manager, lunch with hiring manager, in the afternoon 4 one on one section with engineers mostly technical question and stuff on your resume

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

After talking with an employee at a career fair I received an email about taking an assessment test. The test was about an hour and a half and contained multiple choice questions and about two coding questions. It wasn't too difficult but make sure you have enough time. Also there were hardware specific questions even though I am a computer science major.

Interview Questions

• There was a multiple choice question on a circuit that was harder for me as a Comp Sci major   Answer Question

Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. i was busy with my project when i received the phone call from HR. therefore, i didn't prepare anything for the phone interview. its not hard. HR just simply asked you some common questions regarding your major, your projects, what classes you've taken. the phone interview was pretty short.

Undergraduate HDD Development Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Digital (Irvine, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I put my name down at a university info session, and they emailed me a 90 minute online test. Did well on that, so they invited me to Irvine for their superday interview. Three interviews from three different teams, each 90 minutes. Also included was lunch and a lab tour at the end. The recruiter doesn't actually interview you, and I'm pretty sure everyone who signed up at the info session received the test.

Interview Questions

• The interview really depends on the interviewers. I didn't get asked too many technical questions except by one: given an integer array and an integer, print all non-duplicate pairs in the array that sum to the integer in O(n).   Answer Question

Validation Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Applied online via their website and got an invitation for an interview a few days later. The interview was located at their office in Irvine, Ca.

The interview consisted of 3 30-min interviews:
    1)The first was with the Code director. This was the most difficult of the 3 because he asked mainly technical questions to find out what you knew.
    2)The second was with an Applications Senior Staff Engineer and the Firmware Principal engineer. They asked a couple of easy technical questions and mainly talked about the job.
    3)The third was was the Senior System Design Principal engineer. This was the easiest of the 3 and we mainly talked about my resume and Powershell commandlets.

Overall it was a great experience. They had great communication throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions

• 1) What is the difference between struct and class.
      2) Difference between call by value and call by reference.
      3) What is a doubly link list and name some methods and attributes.
      4) Write a function in whatever language that accepts an integer(decimal) as an argument and will return how many 1's are in that integer's binary counterpart.

Answer Question

Desktop Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Technical interview with direct supervisor. Not too intensive. Interview with helpdesk manager and then meet with HR to review benefits. Followed up with phone interview with the senior director to ask about what previous duties were.

Interview Questions

• How do you troubleshoot when you can't get to the Internet?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much room to negotiate rate.

Mechanical U Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

It was a streamlined interview process in which I cycled through three different people. The interview lasted a little over 2 hours in total and the time was split with 30 minutes for the first two interviewers and 1 hour for the last interviewer. Overall, it was one of the most professional and comfortable interview settings I've ever been in and everyone I spoke with was extremely helpful and nice. This interview gave me an extremely positive outlook on the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• How much experience do you have with tolerance analysis?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Western Digital.

Interview

Met at the college career fair, after few days, I received email and phone contact from HR recruiter. Brought on site to interview with potential team members. Each team member 1 on 1 for about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Dynamic Programming question. The least number of coins in any combination of coins that adds up to certain value.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Met at the career fair on campus. Then received an email from recruiter to take a skills test - coding and multiple choice questions (hardware stuff) and then you have an interview at their Irvine headquarters. They will brief you then you go into your interviews and get asked about your resume and some behavioral/technical questions (similar to the other reviews)