Western Digital

117 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview Details – HR is very good and following up with you regarding all the interview requirements and also for the results.
Interview was a total 3 hours long, 5 engineers interviewed me for 30 minutes each and half hour for HR representative.
The Interview was mostly to discuss resume, work experience, academic project and skills that they would like to use in their project.
A couple technical questions on C++, one electrical circuit problem and a few logical problem solving questions.
Overall- a good experience

Interview Question – Know everything on your resume. It really helps.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Principal Engineer Interview

Senior Principal Engineer
Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital in December 2012.

Interview Details – Easy. The hiring manager was eager to get someone. People are leaving this company, and new comers are necessary to keep the group operational.

Interview Question – As everybody believe that this hard drive business is dying out, why do you want to join?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Electronics Engineer Interview

Electronics Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interviews. First round is a behavioral interview. The second one is technical. Mainly about the projects on my resume. Many innovative problems around different projects.

Interview Question – How do you implement your filter into an communication system? What type will choose and why?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Engineering Intern

Interviewed at Western Digital

Interview Details – Submitted my resume on school career website. Got a call within a week.

Interview Question – Basic MySQL questions, PHP and some javascript   Answer Question

Firmware Development Testing Assistant – Intern Interview

Firmware Development Testing Assistant – Intern
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2012.

Interview Details – Started with a call after I had submitted my resume on their website. Due to the nature of the position (late posting and they need someone soon), I went directly to an onsite interview.

I was interviewed by seven people: your HR, five firmware engineers, and an engineer manager. The interview was conducted with one person at a time in a room. One of the engineers asked for a simple C++ pointer demonstration to show I understood how they worked while another, younger, engineer asked a simple brain teaser. I was also asked one of those "what would you do in this case" scenarios involving conflicts with your boss/colleague.

Other than that, most of the questions were about my projects, prior experience, and knowledge/desire to work at the company The entire onsite process took about 5 hours I believe.

Also, it helps to know what a hard drive is. Having built my own computers and owning several WD products set them at ease since they've had interviewees who hadn't handled computer hardware at all. They also asked if I knew what embedded systems were and if I had any experience with them since they're constantly working with them.

The engineers didn't seem as enthusiastic about the workplace as other, more laid back workplaces. Maybe it wasn't them but just the way the environment felt; it's the typical office space with a sea of cubicles, white walls, and grey carpet.

Interview Question – One engineer (the nicest looking one) came in to assess my hardware knowledge, which I wasn't expecting and wasn't prepared for to the level they were asking (RISC architecture, etc). It so happened that I had no yet taken my intro to computer architecture class but was about to that quarter! Had I taken this course sooner, I would have been able to breeze through the questions.   Answer Question

Test Engineer Interview

Test Engineer

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview Details – - casual phone interview
- multi person interview panel
- mostly non technical
- basic understanding of programming

Negotiation Details – Accepted as is.

Electronics Engineer Interview

Electronics Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was a 4 hour long process included a behavioral interview for lunch. Met with 5/6 interviewers who mostly asked mostly about what was on my resume. Few technical questions related to classes listed on resume and hypothetical behavioral situations.On technical question was what the difference was between response of square wave using AC Scope or DC scope.

Interview Question – Asked questions about FFT what is the FFT of a pure sinusoid and what is the FFT of a random signal   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Formal offer through email.

Channel Marketing Manager Interview

Channel Marketing Manager
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Western Digital in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and got an email for in-person interview. I was scheduled for 1 hour with marketing director and was told we would be going out to lunch. She was 15 mins. late so we went to their "cafeteria." Met in her office over sandwiches (disgusting, BTW)

Interview Question – How did you do lead-generation at __ (my former employer, a Fortune 100 company)?   View Answer

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

Interview Details – 8 1:1 interview each lasts 30 minutes. No presentation, no lunch. Very smooth process and very nice people. All tech questions are related to my resume. So make sure you can say a few things for everything you put in there. Strangely not many behavioral question.But if you have prepared, its defiantly going to help.

Interview Question – Say my background does not match 100% to The job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in May 2010.

Interview Details – Met a recruiter at a college career fair. Submitted resume and briefly talked to the hr lady. Got a phone call shortly afterwards to setup an interview. Interview was a 5 hour process. Two one hour interviews with two software engineers. Then lunch (food was provided) followed by two more one hour interviews (one by a manager another by a software engineer). Questions ranged from technical programming questions, to basic hardware questions, stock hr questions and questions about my resume. Got contacted later that week with a job offer.

Interview Question – Hardware questions for a software engineering position   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Western Digital