Western Digital

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.9

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

I applied online and got called in for a on site interview, the interview lasted for 3 hours and was interviewed by 6 people, half hour each. The first two of them went well but rest 4 were really bad.

Interview Questions
    • even though knowing that i was from Electrical Engineering background they kept asking me core computer science algorithms which i didn't had much answer to.
      I don't remember exactly the questions but it was some hardcore algorithm they wanted me to come up with.

View Answer

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview was a 4 hour long process included a behavioral interview for lunch. Met with 5/6 interviewers who mostly asked mostly about what was on my resume. Few technical questions related to classes listed on resume and hypothetical behavioral situations.On technical question was what the difference was between response of square wave using AC Scope or DC scope.

Interview Questions
    • Asked questions about FFT what is the FFT of a pure sinusoid and what is the FFT of a random signal   Answer Question
    Formal offer through email.

Electronics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

2 rounds of phone interviews. First round is a behavioral interview. The second one is technical. Mainly about the projects on my resume. Many innovative problems around different projects.

Interview Questions
    • How do you implement your filter into an communication system? What type will choose and why?   Answer Question

FIT U Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital.

Met with the HR department managers at the career fair at school. Was called in for an interview a couple weeks later. Was informed that the interview would take approximately 4 hours. First there was a briefing and welcoming to Western Digital and what kind of benefits you'd receive if you were to be hired, it was very light and funny even though everyone was in a serious mood. Then you'd be dismissed one by one to your exam/interview room where you first have to complete an hour long exam that test you on the basics of electrical & computer engineering. (Circuits, networks, R, RL, RC, RLC, MOSFETs, CMOS, BJTs, programming, loops, scripting, function calls, computer architecture). After that, there are 4 engineers from different departments that comes in to interview you and ask you technical questions. It depends on the engineer's skills and if they match yours, then they'll ask you technical questions. Try to do your best on the board. Sometimes engineers will ask you behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • You have a mix of balls that contains 3 colors. Red, Blue, and Green. The probability for them are 70%, 20%, and 10%. Implement a function that demonstrates the case where you choose 1 ball with and without replacement.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Western Digital in May 2013.

9 people interview and lunch talk with the director on the industry and your interests. And you can meet with your top boss. Most interview questions are base on my project, so if you have a good prepared, you will feel easy on that.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Digital.

Phone interview was fairly short, asked about work/project experience, what you expect to get out of an internship. Basic questions, nothing too demanding in the phone interview.
    Following the phone interview, had an onsite interview. Onsite interview consisted of basically resume questions. Make sure you are able to answer any questions in detail (theories, steps, layout/schematics) on anything you have listed on resume. Simple technical stuff were asked, just need to know your basics.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working part time and doing part time graduate school, but you could not successfully manage your time. What would you drop?   Answer Question

FIT U Engineer Interview

I gave them my resume at a career fair at my school. They called me in to take a test the following week. They put everyone in a big room and gave us one hour to take the test. The test consisted of converting hex numbers to binary, explaining what snippets of code do, giving expected output, object oriented programming concepts, pointers in C and C++, circuits, and writing sample code.

Interview Questions
    • Circuit questions such as finding the voltage at a certain spot. Im comp sci not electrical engineer so i had no idea how to do this sort of stuff.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

Contact manager through LinkedIn. I know him and what his group doing because I have several connections working in the same department

N/A

SSD Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

Initially I submitted my resume through my university career services department. I received an email indicating that they were interested in a phone interview. I conducted the phone interview which lasted about a half hour at which point the recruiter indicated he would like me to go out for an interview in person. I was flown out and my interview consisted of a C test followed by a quick meet with the hiring manager. I then had a lunch interview with another manager followed by four hour-long technical interviews with some of the engineering staff. I flew home and received an offer the next morning.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what would be the best way to deal with a piece of hardware that was constantly sending interrupts to an OS with a command buffer of 64.   Answer Question
    The offered salary was competitive to begin with.

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

got a phone interview after summit my resume on college career fair one month later, after two weeks, got a on site 9 person one by one interview.