Western Digital

3.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Linear Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, CA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Western Digital in June 2010.

Three steps, (1) Phone Screening, (2) First On site Interview - Technical, (3) Second On Site Interview - Technical and more questions.

System was unorganized and did not create a systematic procedure that the Candidate could follow behind.

Web Applications Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in February 2010.

This was the longest interview I had been in so far. It started at 8am and lasted until 1pm. I had 4 interviewers, a skills test and then a final interview with the Project Manager. The first interviewer asked me some straight-up programming questions, asked me about C++ virtual functions, etc. The second interviewer asked me about jQuery and asked me a sample problem to solve, which was really simple. I had a real good conversation with this interviewer. He was approachable and we ended up talking about Ada95 and had a random geek chat, which I wasn't expecting in an interview. He kind of helped me relax through the rest of the interview process. The third one was chill but he was more nervous than I was. All these three interviewers asked me a lot of questions about my background in web development. After that, I had a skills test which was set to last for 1 and a half hours, but i finished it in 1 hour flat. They were impressed. The test was really simple, except some really crazy systems level questions regarding computer architectures, which I just cudnt recall. After that, had a 1:1 with the project manager and I was just impressed with this guy. Asked me some really challenging questions about how I would go about designing a scoresheet program for my least interested sport, I answered baseball. So he made me do it and asked me to design it. He seemed very experienced, definitely an alpha-male and seemed like a hardcore project manager. After that, to cool things off, I had the final interviewer ask me again about my background, etc. She was really nice.

When I walked back to my car, I felt there was a good vibe I got from the entire team. I did miss some points here and there, but they seemed like they were ready to hire me. But guess what, they turned me down. It's because I am a foreign national. They'd hire me back when I manage to get my H-1B visa or greencard. Such is the irony for the outsider. Don't blame anyone.

Senior Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Western Digital in August 2009.

I received a call from Western Digital's recruiter who asked if I would be interested in working for Western Digital. Of course I said yes and the recruiter set up an interview for the following week. It was an all day interview that included lunch. In the morning, I arrived at 8 AM at the HR department. During the day I would meet with four engineers and two engineering directors. Each of them had a series of questions regarding typical engineering problems. There were no written tests, just back and forth questions and answers. The directors were more team oriented and tried to get a feel for how well I would fit on a team. During lunch, I went with three engineers and we just talked about my family, hobbies, and my commute to work because I lived more than 50 miles away. This lunch was to determine my personality. After lunch I went back to HR and had a general discussion on the company benefits. It was here that I was asked what salary I expected and what I was currently making. The HR person said that they will do their best to match my current salary. The interview ended around 4 PM. I found out one week later that I got the job and just had to accept the salary offer over the phone.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation except to say that I told them that I wanted to make no less than what I was currently making with a cost of living wage increase. Well, they gave me 2% over what I was making at the time.