Western Digital

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital.

Interview Details – Emails, interview, not a lot of technical questions

Negotiation Details – was no negotiation phase

Electronics Engineer Interview

Electronics Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2013.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of phone interviews. First round is a behavioral interview. The second one is technical. Mainly about the projects on my resume. Many innovative problems around different projects.

Interview Question – How do you implement your filter into an communication system? What type will choose and why?   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2013.

Interview Details – 8 1:1 interview each lasts 30 minutes. No presentation, no lunch. Very smooth process and very nice people. All tech questions are related to my resume. So make sure you can say a few things for everything you put in there. Strangely not many behavioral question.But if you have prepared, its defiantly going to help.

Interview Question – Say my background does not match 100% to The job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in March 2013.

Interview Details – Informed by one of my class lecturer that there's an opening in WD. Send out my resume and receive a phone from hiring manager. He asked some skills and experiences that I have (C,C++,Linux, Control theory) then processed with an on-site interview in San Jose. Interview took half day and I was met with 8 manager + 1 HR. My knowledge about C, C++ programming, servo control theory was deeply tested.

Interview Question – Write a C function transfer a char string contains 0-9 into int   Answer Question

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Western Digital in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process started with a phone screen with a technical manager (above ~25 people). After a few questions about my background, he gave me information about the department and some hard drive overview information.

One week later, I was flown to San Jose for my on-site interview, which consisted of seven 1:1 interviews with engineers and technical managers followed by an informational interview with HR to discuss benefits.

Interviewers seemed very interested in my background and technical/design experiences. Some asked me technical questions (mostly textbook-based about strength, stiffness, material properties, frequency analysis), some asked about my background and projects, some asked me some "puzzlers," and all asked what I was interested in doing if I join the group (CAD, testing/qualification, or analysis).

Interview Question – What are stress and strain? How can you calculate beam deflection under loading? How can you calculate resonant frequency of a mass-spring system?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – New grad, so not much room to negotiate. Got relocation money and temporary housing.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in July 2011.

Interview Details – All day interview, lots of fundamental mechanical engineering questions on beam stress, heat transfer, and fluids.

A few straightforward puzzle-like thinking questions which weren't too bad and could be worked through relatively easily. They just wanted to see the thought process.

Also showed me a bunch of mechanical components and asked questions about how they are made, what they do etc.

Took me out to lunch too which was really nice.

Interview Question – Classic heat transfer question on adding cream to coffee immediately or after a few minutes   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Mechanical Engineering Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in June 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and was contacted by the hiring team and asked to appear for a phone interview. This was a scheduled phone interview with 5 employees, including 2 engineers, 2 managers, and 1 director level manager. During the interview, they all traded spending time asking questions. Many questions were asked more than once, however, each person had a different piece of information that they really wanted to find out more about.

Interview Question – Please describe the design process through a project that you have worked on from initial concept to final design.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
San Jose, CA

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in April 2010.

Interview Details – On site Interview by team of 4 peoples, followed by Lunch interview with hiring managers

Interview Question – How you know about this position?   Answer Question

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Senior Firmware Engineer
San Jose, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Western Digital in November 2009.

Interview Details – The first "interview" was just over the phone to make sure that I fit the position, and that I was interested. For the in person interview, I was flown down to San Jose and given a hotel and car for a day. The interview consisted of 6 one on one interviews. About half of them asked technical questions. Everyone I interviewed with was a manager, and I also think all of them had a Phd.

I had prepared a binder of previous work and experience. I think this was extremely helpful and allowed me to steer the interviews a little better. The interviewers did not seem very prepared, and allowed me to just talk about what I have done rather than grill me.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to model a system on the spot. Luckily I had been reading up on this one, so I was able to write something down.   Answer Question
  • A co-worker said he was asked if he is more comfortable in the time domain or position domain.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was coming out of school in a down economy, so I had little to no negotiating power. Basically the negotiations went through an HR person, but I didn't get them to budge on their initial offer. I am not sure if this was the experience with other people.

Tribology Engineer Interview

Tribology Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Western Digital in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was from 9:00am-4:00pm consiting of 1:1 interviews with several people. Each person was given a 30 minute or 1 hour time slot. The personal consisted of the other engineers that work in the group, the immediate supervisor, his supervisor and a human resources person.

Interview Question – What problems do you forsee in the future for the tribology group and how would you fix them?   Answer Question

Worked for Western Digital? Contribute to the Community!